Please help... I don't have a clue what to do!!

JSS

Reaction score
I hope someone here can advise me on what to do as I don't have a clue! :?

I am working on a temp basis at the moment and have no idea for how long I will be kept on. I am working from home and the job is pretty easy so I want to work for as long as possible. I am not entitled to mat pay from this employer.

My Midwife has given me a MAT B1 form... what do I do with this? Do I give it to my current employer or do I make an appointment to see the job centre?

I have no idea who I should speak to and when I should speak to them to find out what I am entitled to. :think:

Any advice would be great!

Thanks x

I think you only need to show your employer your Mat b1 form if you intend to take paid time off work...not sure if you need it as proof for the job centre :think: .. does your job have a HR department you could ask? You still have rights as an employee and they should give you all the information you require......

Your employers need to be informed of your pregnancy and then if you are not entitled to Statutory Maternity Pay (SMP) They will give you form SMP1 which you can then claim Maternity Allowance if you are entitled,

http://www.direct.gov.uk/en/Bfsl1/Benef ... G_10018869

As Lyndsey says you still have rights as a temp worker.

you need to get the SMP1 from your employers and then contact the jobcentre regarding the Maternity Allowance

good luck

As above, there are girls who are contractors at my work, they are classed as temporary staff as well.

You should pass it to your employer, you are still entitled to maternity pay even as a contractor/temporary employer,... it may not necessarily be your employer paying your maternity pay but it will be the goverment.

It is lower than the staturay maternity pay.

However...... some firms who perhaps "guess" or "find out" your pregnant as a temporary worker may terminate your contract (Before you tell them)..... so watch yourself on that one, as you wont have a leg to stand on as you cant prove they did or didnt know you were pregnant. As even though it states on your contract you are not entitled to it, I do think they have a legal requirement to contribute a certain percentage/give you benefits and leave for appointments (dont quote me on this)

If i were you id hand the form in ASAP to ensure you will be entitled.

Am sure your tax code will go down as well because your pregnant and a temporary/contract worker once you pass that form in (dont quote me on this though)

I'll explain my situation.

I worked for this same employer for 10 years on a permanent basis but was made redundant in August 2006. He then took me back on in Ocotber on a temp basis to see if business would pick up... which it hasn't. I was already pregnant when he took me back on in October.

I'm not sure how long the temp contract will last as I have nothing in writing from him. It seems just to be a case of hoping things pick up.

It's a small company (I'm currently the only employee) so we don't have an HR dept that I can go to for advice.

I suppose I am going to have to speak to him about his intentions. I am just worried that he will finish me up sooner if I push him on it. It's easy money and would suit me perfectly after I have had the baby as I am working from home all day.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nicola111
Back