Please help - Calpol and cough medicine

kellyandbump

Reaction score
Please help, how long can I give Chloe Calpol and cough medicine. It has now been a week and feel I should stop giving her these now but her cough is no better. She is now coughing so much she is bringing up all her milk in an evening. The doctor said her chest is clear but do you think I should take her back.

I would take her back to be on the safe side hun!
That actually say you shouldnt give Calpol for more than 48 hours! And Im not totally convinced cough medicines even do anything to help!
Even if the doc says her chest is clear, as her what you can do to help then other than giving her medicine! :hug: :hug: :hug:

I would take her to the Dr's, she may have a chest infection. I also though cough medicines were a no no as they do nothing??

I wouldn't give cough medicine atall or calpol for more than it reccomends on the bottle before consulting a doctor. If you take her back and they say her chest is clear then it must be something else causing her to cough. If she has an infection or virus she will have a temperature. Have you checked it atall?

I checked her temperature again this morning and it is reading at 37.5 which the doctor said was OK. I also thought that cough medicine had been banned but gave it to her as the doctor told me to. I just feel that when I visit him he looks at me as if I am wasting his time but I am really worried about her. I am also worried that she is going to get dehidrated as she keeps bringing up her milk and won't take any additional juice or water, what else can I try?

Seeing as she is almost 5 months have you thought about starting to wean? You could start with some puree and finger foods maybe? Also I'd ask the doctor about reflux if she can't keep anything down :think: she may be coughing because she is gagging as the milk comes back up :think:

I'm not a doctor :lol: Just typing as i'm thinking it :lol:

I hope you get sorted hun :rotfl:

Edit - Also forgot to say I'd ask the doctor why he reccomended cough medicine for a baby whose chest he said was clear!

Sorry should have put that down that she is already weened onto jars, that makes me worry more as I feel she should be taking some fluids. I even tried juice in a bottle in desperation but she won't take anything. I am sorry I am being hard work but I do worry about everything.

Don't worry, you aren't hard work. I'd just get her back to the doctors and book an appointment with someone there you know is nice and not the doctor who already saw her and wasn't very helpfull :D

kellyandbump said:
Sorry should have put that down that she is already weened onto jars, that makes me worry more as I feel she should be taking some fluids. I even tried juice in a bottle in desperation but she won't take anything. I am sorry I am being hard work but I do worry about everything.

We had the same thing when Ella had her chest and throat infection, she wouldn't take anything other that milk fluid-wise, the Doctor said that it could be because her throat is red and sore from coughing so much.

I would take her back to the Docs TBH. It's been going on for too long now, if it was just a virus it would have gone by now. Also, Ella didn't have a temp when she was poorly, that's why we were reluctant to take her. Be persistant..Hope everything's okay :hug:

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nicola111
Back