Play development - 8 months

El1en

Reaction score
Hi ladies

I'm curious as to what your babies are doing play wise at 8 months old (ish)

My little girl loves her toys with buttons and in particular loves turning the pages on her electronic book. She also loves knocking over stacking cups and will sit in her ball pool but mainly tries to eat the balls. Most toys she'll pick up and pass between her hands, examine and then put in her mouth. I think maybe twice she has passed me a toy. She gets excited and is happy playing

We spent some time with her cousins today who are 13 and 15 months and while I know there is a big age gap it just made me feel a bit like my Lo should be doing more and maybe interacting with me more during play?

We do play together loads, I guess I'm just looking to see where other babies are at and if anyone has any ideas for play at this age

My daughter is the same age and so will be following. Her main interest is in things she shouldn't be doing like eating cables. I spend most of my time with her trying to catch her as she's crawling now and going to cables to eat them. If she isn;t eating cables she'll find something else to eat. I pick her up and put her back with the toys and will just go straight back to the cables.

Anyway, what i've noticed is she enjoys crawling through tunnels and discovering her new found freedom. She enjoys touchy-feely books (and eating them), push button books (like yours... and eating them). My daughter has taken to a Fisher Price barn that I bought for my son but he never took to it. The doors make noises etc so she enjoys that. She loves music and does her version of dancing. She has passed me a couple of things but not much to shout about. She does an awful lot of babbling and gurgling so she's pretty easy to chat to when she isn't heading off to cables to eat them...

Last edited:
I know what you mean rooster, my lg loves anything that isn't hers, the remote, coasters, sellotape, the Hoover wire. She knows what toys are and what she shouldn't be touching. Thanks for the response, my Lo isn't quite crawling yet, I'm nervous for when she does

I'm struggling with the crawling and her incessant need to eat everything she shouldn't - typical baby behaviour I know, but I also have a 3 year old so feel like i'm constantly on high alert. My son was not one who would eat everything and was and still is very safety conscious - he tells me to stay on the pavement, and stay away from the fire etc. My daughter is already the opposite and it was much easier when she was still. She follows me wherever I go when she isn't eating cables.

I'm sure you'll be helping your baby through the play you are doing already. Lots of talking helps. It sounds like you are doing a great job :)

She sounds perfectly fine to me. My LO is 7 months and pretty much does exactly what you have described. Loves putting everything in her mouth, playing with her ball pit balls, knocking her bath toys around, knocking toys off highchair, pressing buttons etc. She doesn't tend to get joining in with me yet either. She loves other children though and will laugh and smile at them. Oh yes and she loves anything that isn't hers too..my phone, tassels on the throw, my hair, people's glasses, knocking things off the sofa too lol.. luckily she isn't crawling yet but don't think it'll be long. x

Last edited:
My 8 month old sounds the same as yours. She enjoys being naughty and rolling to things she shouldn't have. We've got a learning tree which she loves pressing the buttons on and turning the page but she likes just holding and looking at things

My little girl has just started crawling and like roosters lo she likes to get anything she shouldn't have! But when she does play with her toys she like electronic ones that sing and flash. She got a vtech? Smart cub coda which she loves for Christmas. She loves when it sings and talks to her. She likes to knock down her stacking rings and likes to shake anything that rattles, I find she gets bored quickly with things and we have to move onto the next toy after a couple of minutes. Lily's a grabber so will grab anything in her reach even when being carried around nothing is safe and everything has to go in the mouth atm. We have had to tell our son to be careful as he's just getting into lego and I don't want her to come across any of that crawling around! Xxx

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
laurenl27
Back