Perineal Massage

mollythemama

Reaction score
Anyone done or doing this?

I hadn't even heard about it, but my midwife suggested it to me today. I looked online and got some good information so tried it out and my god it's uncomfortable!

It wasn't so much the massage that was uncomfortable but more like the position I was in... like one straight leg on the ground and one leg on the side with my knee bent. Felt like I really had to reach down... this was after yoga as well!

Any tips/advice?

Haha iv heard of this but I can't imagine trying it on my own and i'm only 20 weeks on fri. It does say you can get a partner to do it for you. I know it's not sexy but I may do this as I can't do it. Xx

Haha yes, he said he'd do it for me tonight! I told him it was very intimate, but not sexy at all!!!

You're supposed to do it for 5 minutes and then you feel a 'tingling' sensation, which is a similar sensation you feel when giving birth (but without the pain).

I'm definitely not that up for it, but I also don't want to tear.

I can imagine it being uncomftable. I've heard alot talking about it and I makes me feel funny lol x

" As you or your partner perform the massage, apply steady pressure downwards
towards your bottom until you feel a tingling sensation. This will help you
recognise the feeling that you will have when your baby’s head begins to come
out of your vagina (crowning)."

Oh dear

I planned to do it, but I can't reach!

Yeah I think it must be only possible for people with short legs and long arms!

I had a go, and it felt very tight and freaked myself out at how it easily it could tear haha might have a go in the bath tonight as tearing is one of my fears about giving birth haha I found an oil as well that's suppose to help on notonthehighstreet.com x

My husband massaged my perineum every day in preparation.. Sods law I ended up with an emergency c section!

Omg :-( my hubby keeps going on about this- he keeps offering to do it but I can't face it. LOL!!

I think some of the evidence about this working is actually fairly mixed - but if it floats your hubby's boat then what the hell!! Lol

I've started doing it as apparently it can decrease the risks of tearing by 10%.

It's difficult to do to yourself with a bump in the way but it's definitely not painful just mildly uncomfortable

My husband also is very willing to do this for me. Iv told him that it is not sexy in any way and nor will I want sex after. Part of me things I can't do it so let him but the other half thinks no way I fell a bit weird by it. Also 10% is not an awful lot but rearing does terrify me. X

My husband also is very willing to do this for me. Iv told him that it is not sexy in any way and nor will I want sex after. Part of me things I can't do it so let him but the other half thinks no way I fell a bit weird by it. Also 10% is not an awful lot but rearing does terrify me. X

I know what you mean about the 10% - by I'm willing to give anything a go to try and prevent it!!

I know what you mean about the 10% - by I'm willing to give anything a go to try and prevent it!!

Yes I suppose anything is worth a shot. I think I'd rather the mw cut me if she thinks il tear as that does not sound so bad it will be neat and maybe I won't feel as much. Then again iv no idea as this is my first I just know I'd rather be put to sleep. Then woken up and given my baby lol this sounds amazing and perfect to me x

Yes I suppose anything is worth a shot. I think I'd rather the mw cut me if she thinks il tear as that does not sound so bad it will be neat and maybe I won't feel as much. Then again iv no idea as this is my first I just know I'd rather be put to sleep. Then woken up and given my baby lol this sounds amazing and perfect to me x

By all accounts episiotomies (sorry can't spell it) are actually worse than natural tearing. So Im writing on my birth plan that I absolutely do not want to be cut under any circumstances

Just wanted to pop by to say I had a second degree tear and got stiched up and honestly I had no idea that I'd torn. The stiched were done under local and didn't hurt either. So anything you can do to prevent it is good but try not to stress too much about the possibility of it happening- I know I was terrified of the idea but really wasn't as bad as I was expecting

Oh ok I really thought a tear would be worse than a cut. I will keep this in mind xx

Each to their own but trust me tearing wont be a major concern to u once you are in full labour - i had a a doctor ask me if i wanted her to do an episiotomy after i had been pushing for 1.5 hrs - baby wasnt in distress but i was like 'yeah do it quickly' - labour is so painful u wont care about tearing!!

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
laurenl27
Back