Perfect prep

I'll be trying to bf again but if I do end up using formula then I'll def be getting a perfect prep machine!

XX

I mimic the perfect prep machine

I use a spare bottle and fill it with boiled water, and leave it to cool.
Then when I make a bottle I pour 2oz of boiling water in, add the formula, shake, then top up with the rest of the oz from the cooled bottle.
Making a 6 oz bottle this way means it's cool enough to drink straight away, smaller bottles might need a bit of cooling (but still quicker than using all boiling water)
Once you're used to it, it's really easy.

The thing I don't like about the prep machine is that it's the filter that takes away any bacteria in the water. The hot shot isn't as hot as boiling water, and doesn't kill the bacteria in the water/bottle/formula the same. It's for temperature purposes and to dissolve the formula mostly.

I'd rather use boiling water just to be safe.

I'm confused with the prep machine - the cold water in assuming is unboiled? I'm told time and time again that babies should have cool boiled water? Also is the hot shot hot boiled water? I'm guessing it must be safe for them to sell it but it confuses me!

I'm confused with the prep machine - the cold water in assuming is unboiled? I'm told time and time again that babies should have cool boiled water? Also is the hot shot hot boiled water? I'm guessing it must be safe for them to sell it but it confuses me!

The cold water is filtered but not boiled which is why health visitors can't recommend the machine as it goes against NHS guidelines. The hot shot is heated up by the machine but I'm not sure if it's boiling or just heated up to a certain temperature (my guess would be the latter). They are a bit controversial for that reason x

The idea is that the machines filter, that has to be periodically replaced, removes any bacteria etc from the water. So it doesn't need to be boiled. But I don't understand if/how it makes the formula safe as it could also have bacteria in.

But, after having the water scare in the NW this year, I decided the only safe thing was boiled water as we were told filters could have harboured the bacteria.

The idea is that the machines filter, that has to be periodically replaced, removes any bacteria etc from the water. So it doesn't need to be boiled. But I don't understand if/how it makes the formula safe as it could also have bacteria in.

But, after having the water scare in the NW this year, I decided the only safe thing was boiled water as we were told filters could have harboured the bacteria.

The hot water shot is hot enough to kill any bacteria in the formula which is why it's dispensed first x

If you don't want to buy the prep machine you can use the flask method which works just as well and obviously a lot cheaper as you just need a flask! Also takes the hassle out of worrying how to make feeds out and about as you obviously can't take the prep machine with you!

Is the flask method the one this document talks about:
http://firststepsnutrition.us6.list...d6b771444cb429c0b1&id=d7ae5b663a&e=76c15ef039

Is it easy? I ask because a friend of mine has a 2 week old and she was talking about the flask method and if I knew much about it which i didnt. However I just saw that article and your comment in this thread so thought I'd ask!x

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
laurenl27
Back