Perfect prep

queenriccy

Reaction score
Just a quick one,
After making a bottle how long can I use the milk up until ?
TT say 1 hour - Hipp (milk we are using) say to discard after 2 hours if not used ??!

What would you do ?

Xx

With a newborn I'd always err on the side of caution personally.

Are you using ready made milk that's been heat treated? The powder isn't sterile so you're best using the ready made stuff for newborns if not breastfeeding.

We are using a perfect prep and Hipp and generally discard after two hours :)

We'd always go on 2 hours with hip and perfect prep, tbh she rarely left it long enough to need to wait for a top up as never been a big eater, if your LO is leaving a lot try smaller amounts of milk and give more bottles.

Last edited:
Well it's silly how the smallest bottle I can make is 4oz, she is only a day old so not taking very much at all at the moment.
I think as the formulas bacteria has been killed with the first shot I'm happy to go by hipps advice, we always went by the 2 hour rule when we used cow and gate with our son

Thanks ladies

Xx

Jumping in and changing the subject slightly... sorry.

Have been looking at the Perfect Prep machine today and I would really like one. But is it worth it for someone on a budget? Is there really much of a different between using a kettle and letting it cool in hot water and the machine?

I literally know nothing about feeding babies (or even how you make up a bottle yet!)

Jumping in and changing the subject slightly... sorry.

Have been looking at the Perfect Prep machine today and I would really like one. But is it worth it for someone on a budget? Is there really much of a different between using a kettle and letting it cool in hot water and the machine?

I literally know nothing about feeding babies (or even how you make up a bottle yet!)

Yes! My wife planned on BF, but after six weeks of stressful trying, expressing and even expressing in her sleep (with a manual pump!)

We eventually conceded and bought a Perfect Prep, which saves so much time in preparation, especially in the early days when there's no routine in place - Although we still don't have a strict routine, especially at night when he still wakes up, two minutes and we have a perfect temperature bottle, no stress listening to him cry, no waiting for the bottle to cool, etc etc

One thing to note is that you do need to replace the filter every three months, approx, but they're only £8.99 so not a huge expense

HTH

We leave ours a max of 2 hrs and as long as you shake the formula up with the hot water first then it's sterile.

Our perfect prep has been worth it's weight in gold, I can't recommend it enough - no panicking in the early days with a screaming baby, we knew bottle would be ready in mins :)

Could you just buy some ready made for the first couple of weeks until you find she's taking bigger amounts? It probably wouldn't be any more expensive if you are wasting large amounts of the powder anyway making up 4oz feeds.

I would say two hours is okay. As another aside, how are you finding the Hipp milk? I used SMA last time but if we have the same issues with breastfeeding this time and I switch to formula again I think I'm going to go for this. I will also DEFFO be getting a Perfect Prep machine next time if I end up formula feeding again!

I would not be without my perfect prep! Seriously would buy another in a heartbeat if I had to. Saves so much time especially when you have a grumpy baby who wants feeding immediately !
Only downside I would say is that the smallest feed you can make is 4oz so we wasted a bit in the beginning . But no big deal . If you are going to ff it's the best thing you'll buy . It's on offer now in quite a few places.

I discard my feeds after 2 hours x

Deffo reccomend. My 1st one broke after my hubby did something to it ! Was out of Warrenty aswell as I'd used it for my 1st. Went out the next day and bought another. Deffo couldn't be without it. Saves so much time !
And I used to keep my prep made bottles hipp milk for 2 hours. He's 6 months now and no chance of any milk left over hahah xx

Damn I had forgotten about the 4oz thing! I remember if I needed a little drop milk for lo's porridge or something I would set it to 4oz which shoots out a 1oz hot shot and use that. I know everyone has different ways and look at different guidelines for making bottles but I would use this if there was times I needed smaller ones.

I would stick to 2 hours for defo, especially when they are so young. I was quite ocd about stuff like this!

And kitty perfect prep is worth it's weight in gold! I suffer anxiety and would get myself into a state making bottles by the guidelines and if I thought I had messed up in any way (like left the kettle to cool down too long, or outit would go down the sink!) it could be a long drawn out process by the end of the night and PP took this away! It does everything for you bar count the powder out. Oh and seen your thread on bottles, you can use any with it, not just TT ones x

If you don't want to buy the prep machine you can use the flask method which works just as well and obviously a lot cheaper as you just need a flask! Also takes the hassle out of worrying how to make feeds out and about as you obviously can't take the prep machine with you!

I loooove our machine, we were on a budget when we got it and I definitely don't regret it!

I bought one today - £20 second hand! :-D

Perfect! I would just replace the filter tho if its second hand unless you know the person. You can get them for like £7 on kiddicare or most places x

Sorry girls just been a busy few days.
Yes it's amazing, they weren't around with Olly so we made as we needed but it took forever - used pre made when we were out. It's literally 2 mins and a bottle is ready. From yesterday she is feeding every 2 hours and taking 1 - 1.5oz at a time so the milk is getting used.

About the milk, with Olly we used cow and gate- he had terrible colic, sick all the time, bad trapped wind. I looked into all the milks before making a desicion for Daisy and I went with Hipp. It's been great, she gets her wind up really well and her poos are all normal. We also gave her on dr Browns bottles too, I'm not taking any risks this time

Xx

Gone off milk smells, really really bad.. Especially hipp.. It clots and it turns into cottage cheese if you have a bottle that goes missing under the bed or in the settee... And that's the off smell 10x worse.. When it starts to get off it starts smelling funny and it tends to become a little grainy what stains the side of the bottle a little.. Fresh milk is smooth and doesn't look grainy on the side of the bottle.. Heated up milk goes off quicker than ready milk that's room temperature.. I think two hours is the absolute max. But it's best to use your eyes and nose.

When I FF my son, I just used the little 200ml cartons (think they're Al little bottles now) as he had so little in one go.

Dunno if that's any help... Xx

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
laurenl27
Back