• Xenforo Cloud has scheduled an upgrade to XenForo version 2.2.16. This will take place on or shortly after the following date and time: Jul 05, 2024 at 05:00 PM (PT) There shouldn't be any downtime, as it's just a maintenance release. More info here

People who 'know better'

I'm sneaking in from 3rd tri...

I've had the same, birth stories, pain stories, your life is over stories, people telling me i won't be able to when i say we want to go on holiday next year, people telling em i'm too young... the list goes on!

I've found that ignoring them is best!
If i have questions then i'll ask (i.e i asked my mum about her birth experienes (she's had 5!) but other than that i'll just ignore these silly people.

We'll all be fine :D

God, it doesnt stop at pregnancy!!
My mum still has to comment on things im doing "wrong" with my daughter!! it drives me mad. :x
I listened to people telling me to do this and that and it turns out YOUR way is best!! Dont listen to anyone else, mummy knows best!!

Grrr :x People like that annoy me.

My OH's cousin annoyed me the other week, she was saying 'A girl at work is due around same time as you and she's massive' (I don't have a bump yet). Then I was eating a bun with walnuts on top and she screached out 'Your not supposed to eat nuts while your pregnant'. She said some other stuff too but I wasn't paying much attention. She doesn't have any kids and has never been pregnant, yet she knows it all!!!!

This was coming from a girl that cried out of pure jealousy when she found out I was pregnant, then ignored me and my OH when she saw us later that day, didn't even look at us never mind say a simple congratulations.

I enjoyed this thread so much as this is something that's been getting on my nerves lately.. it's the knowing looks like they're the equivalent of the pregnancy Dalai Lama (sp?) :x or when you say "oh we'd hope to do this or that" and then they start sniggering.. the other thing is that when I say I'm planning to stay at home with baby and not return to work some people get really defensive and are like "well I had a really good job I didn't want to leave!" or "oh I'd get so bored you can only go to so many toddler groups and coffee mornings without going soft in the head!" I'm like... I wasn't condemning you for working etc.. just saying what my own plans are!

Anyway.. my sister gave me a good piece of advice and it was "my only advice to you sis is to not listen to too much advice"!

I'm looking forward to my impending soft-headedness!

I also have gotten funny comments: "Good thing you got your traveling in early, you won't be able to go anywhere with a kid!"

Who says life is over when you have a baby?? There are plenty of places I can go with a kid! It just takes more planning.

Oh and what's with the people who quiz you about your lifestyle when you mention you're pregnant? "Do you own your own house, do you buy organic, do you have a safe car, do you have pets, do you have a bloody chinchilla-fur purple polka dotted crib yet?!" :wall: None of their beeswax!

:rotfl: :rotfl: :rotfl: I'm so glad I posted this thread, you have all made me laugh with your stories. Gosh people are sooooo annoying. When my boss did the 'You say that now' comment to me yesteray, I lowered my voice just enough so he could still hear and said to the girl on my left how that was the most annoying thing - people who have had kids already making comments like that. His ears pricked right up and he went a little red - Good!

It's so true, people are almost always negative about what lies ahead when you're pregnant.

The patronising comments about how painful labour will be, no sleep, how you have no life etc...very annoying.

Let me tell you, labour isn't always really painful. Mine wasn't. The recovery was but you get through it. It's so worth it.

My DH & I took it in turns to get a sleep in the afternoons in the early weeks when our LO was asleep. The MIL made a comment about that but it really helped us to get through those early weeks when our LO was waking for feeds every 2/3 hours.

I continued to nap in the afternoons when I felt I needed it when my son was asleep. It's the best bit of advice I could pass on to any new Mum.

Like you will be, we are both mindful to be positive to any friends/colleagues who are about to become new parents. It comes easily to us as our experience of parenthood as been very positive.

Ignore em, easier said than done though! :D

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
joshatflare
Back