People who have had or have Gestational Diebetes....

Happybunny

Reaction score
Did you feel ill or any symptoms before you were diagnosed?

I haven been having quite pronounced periods of intense dizziness, weakness and tiredness every day since Christmas. (I have to have a lie down several times a day because even sitting or standing still makes me want to faint) I thought it was anaemia...doc did a blood test and I was anaemic. I have been taking iron pills religiously for two weeks now and I still feel no better (I did initially, but have gone back to how I was)

My blood pressure is fine so it makes me think there may be another cause. I had a negative GTT on 17th Dec, but symtoms arrived after that.

Do you think there could be a link?

Hi hun,

It is possible, but dizziness and fatigue could just be because of anaemia. I had gestational diabetes with my second, and tbh I didnt really have any symptoms that you wouldnt have with anaemia anyway, ie diziness, a bit of fatigue, etc... In any case, if the tests are negative, you are most probably fine. If they have done recent scans, is the baby over average in size? that can also be a symptom of gd. I wasnt diagnosed with it with my third - was very careful with food!, but she might have been, as she came in at eight and a half pounds, and she wasnt quite full term! :shock: ouch! :lol: :lol:

In any case, if you are worried, speak to your GP, as it is best to be safe. Also if they suspect it is a possibility, they will be more vigilant when the babe is born, and that is a good thing.

Try not to worry too much, as it is a very treatable thing if you have it, have some hugs... :hug: :hug: :hug: :hug: :hug:

LIsa

hello
how are you hun
i have anemia too, just got diagnosed and feel tired and faint also
i am signed off work until wed then working a 4day week for the next 6 weeks but not sure i will manage.
i hope you are ok, i have no clue about gestational diabetes but do know i rush for the choc when feeling low and it probably is making me feel a bit poorly, don't just rely on the iron tablets, someone told me you must take them with orange juice and up your b12 for them to work, i have also been recommended to get my iron from food, this weekend i had eggs,spinach, black pudding and spag bol ymmm so i really do feel better.
hope you feel better
also will you be my text buddy so people know what is happening in hosptial, can i get your number off my mum?
speak soon
gem xxx

Hi :wave:
I had neg results up until i gave up work.
At 32 weeks i was Pos.
Have to say i felt very tired and sometimes as if i was in a dream world.Often felt sick. and was thirsty....
Good luck
If you want any more advice feel free to pm me :D

Thank you for your replies everyone, I am really not sure what is happening to me, but I am going to go to the docs again this week and get another opinion.

Gemma - thanks for the info about the iron absorbtion, that might be a problem so I will try and up the vit c and b12 too as well has eating more iron in my diet (difficult when I don't like meat...but I have been eating lots of dried apricots :)
We can definately be text buddies, just get the number from your mam...I'll pm you my number too... :hug:

Hi there hun,

I was diagnosed with GD a week ago. I have been having lots of sickness all through this pregnancy, but the hospital said that GD wouldn't be the cause.
I have felt extreme tiredness though and had to go on maternity leave asap as the tiredness was making me feel quite ill. That's really the only symptom I had.

I was also told that GD only really shows up in the 2nd and 3rd trimester, but like I always say, don't quote me on it. Have a chat with your doctor/midwife.

Try not to worry :hug:

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nicola111
Back