Pelvic pain - help needed please

yourpetal

Reaction score
Hi all,

I was just wondering if any of you lovely women have suffered or are suffering with similar symptoms. I will try to keep this post as brief as possible and not moan (much!).

When I was 18 weeks pregnant about two weeks ago I noticed that I had difficulty getting out of bed. This only happened a few times but the pain was enough to make me stop and think. I put it down to being pregnant and the changes that were happening in my body.

Last week I started to become concerned because I was experiencing this pain on a more frequent basis. I began finding it painful to get in and out of the car and walk up stairs. Then on Tuesday night everything changed. I tried to change sides in bed which caused the most awful pain. I was woken up in the night with pain and the now normal night time trip to the toilet was agonising. I struggled to get out of bed and getting on and off of the toilet seat was nearly impossible. I was in so much pain that I found it difficult to hold back the tears.

I called my midwife first thing in the morning. She explained that pelvic ligaments relax due to pregnancy hormones. She said that it is not uncommon in pregnancy for these ligaments to relax too much and become slack which can cause pelvic pain. I asked a couple of questions "What have I done to cause this?", "What can I do to make it feel better?". She explained that this was not my fault, to purchase a maternity support band and sleep with a pillow between my legs until I hear from the physiotherapist.

I decided to search the internet to try and find ways to make the pain more bearable. I stumbled across a website which had information about pelvic pain on. Then I stumbled across an article about SPD. After reading it I didn't know what to think as this sounded exactly like the pain I was experiencing but the prognosis was not great.

I decided today that even though the pain has not been as bad as last week it was affecting my daily living. I wanted to do something and the prospect of waiting a minimum of two weeks for an appointment with the physiotherapist made me feel awful. I booked an appointment with a local chiropractor.

I explained the pain I was experiencing and how it was affecting everything from getting out of bed to putting my socks on. He performed an examination and explained his findings. He diagnosed me with sacro-iliac joint dysfunction (SIJD) and mentioned that my left hip had dropped. He told me that this was due to my posture and has been a gradual decline. After manipulating my pelvis and massaging my hips and buttocks he sent me on my way saying that I would feel completely better after about four sessions.

When I got home curiosity got the better of me and I searched the internet. However, what I read made me feel less than confident. SIJD is characterised by pain in the lower back, buttocks, hips and thighs. Although I experience pain in these areas when he manipulated my pelvis and massaged my hips and buttocks this was certainly not the pain I was experiencing normally. I also read that SIJD pain is worsened when walking and better when laying down. This certainly is not the case for me as my pain is worse in the evening and at night. I am not disagreeing with the facts that my left hip and the arches in my feet have dropped but I don't think this is what is causing me pain.

I now feel completely miserable and I don't know who to talk to. I just wanted to get the ball rolling in my recovery.

I'm sorry that I have rambled but thank you for taking the time to read this. Any advice would be really appreciated.

x

Last edited:
From what I know hun your SIJ could be affected by ligament laxity as well. The physio should be able to help with the pain and I would have thought it generally gets better after you've had baby. My friend had SPD from around 20 weeks and although it made things difficult she did get through it and is doing well now that baby is here. I think you should take it easy until your physio appointment and speak to MW again if its gettin worse. Take care xxx

sounds like u may have both. I have suffered with SPD in all my pregnancies and have also put my sacral illiac joint out of ailinment but i tend to say i just have SPD, think the 2 go closely together. pillows do help between the knees and try to keep your knees together when moving in bed or getting out the car ( Know its sounds bizzare and hard to do but is worth it) also switch to on line shopping as pushing the trolleys can b a killer !!! they also say go up stairs one step at a time. the physio will b a big help when u see them and the support belts do really help during the day too

try not to get too down about it it does go once u have given birth and at least u have managed to get to nearly half way without too much pain .
hope this helps and u know where I am if u need any more advice or just want to rant at someone !! I really do klnow what your going through xxx:hugs::hugs:

I could have written that myself! I'm in soo much pain now with it, I have my physio appointment on thursday and it can't come quick enough!! I am also getting really sharp pains in my foof/pubic bone, where I cant talk to anyone while I get them they are that strong, also a constant feeling of pressure but that might be down to baby's position! I really hope you can't sort it out to make yourself more comfortable! I understand how you feel!!! Xx

Hi, this is exactly what i am goin thru. I have just joined this forum to see if anyone had any advice. i've had spd for two mths now. i'm nearly 26 wks. i had it my last pregnancy but it wasn't as bad as this time. i sleep with pillows between my legs, i've had physio, i wear a tubigrip but i still experience so much pain. the worst is when i'm in bed and i need to turn. i just can't wait for the baby to arrive and the pain to go x

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nicola111
Back