Parma Ham, Salami.. and the likes

SuziQ

Reaction score
Yes I KNOW I write random posts... :lol:

But.. parma ham.. is this cooked or not.. as its smoked, right? Am thinking if its smoked then I cannot eat it... (like smoked Salmon) but if its cooked..then its ok!!?? Anyone?

Also.. Salami... is this cooked and safe to eat??

:wave:

how strange...I nearly brought some Salami shopping a min ago but didnt as I was unsure if its ok...

sorry cant help you though babes...Im clueless :?

x

Parma ham is cured so strictly speaking you shouldn't eat it. Saying that I have had it a couple of times as its one of my favourites!

Like most things, I figure that as long as you are happy with the quality and freshness it should be ok.

Supposedly can be high risk for listeria, so you may want to avoid.

TBH these foods are a staple part of the diet in other countries. I think here though we advise to avoid. The list of unsafe foods grows ever longer.

Its being cautious but really how did women used to cope before all these recommendations eh?

I'm going to a dinner on Saturday night and if its like last year, it'll be a cold buffet with sliced cooked meats (pink beef etc) loads of salads and cheeses and goodness knows what else I am supposed to avoid. Knowing my luck even the desserts will be off limits if I stick to the guidelines :roll:

i had a couple of pepperamis when i first got preggo.....didnt know at the time.... :(

i had a couple of pepperamis when i first got preggo.....didnt know at the time.... :(

And i googled smoked salmon, (cos i lurrrves it) and it said....

"Some countries advise pregnant women not to eat cold meats or smoked fish because of the risk of listeria. In the UK, we don't advise women to avoid these products because the risk is very low. The risk of listeria is much higher with soft mould-ripened cheeses (such as Brie and Camembert) or pâté, which you shouldn't eat during pregnancy. However, if you are concerned, you might also choose to avoid cold meats and smoked fish while you are pregnant."

http://www.eatwell.gov.uk/asksam/agesan ... pregnancy/

Ive not had salmon the whole time ive been preggers, but i think i could easily KILL for some :twisted:

They're deffo off limits as far as the safe food list goes. Pants.

I hear you on this list growing ever longer and I'm sure it's more dangerous to you when you nearly choke on something going down your throat when you remember at the last minute it could be on the bad list!!! :roll:

What about Smoked sausage then?

I kept seeing that advert on tv for the Mattesons one and I bought one the other day and ate half of it. is that a no-no as well?

i went through a week of eating smoked salmon , had it in sandwhichs , in salads all sorts !

i get my nanny to post salami from hungary, i love it, cant stop eating it.

But i think my stomach is very strong as ive eaten it so long

I've got some pasta that has Proscuitto ham in it. Is this not ok for me to eat?

I eat whatever I feel like..smoked salmon, 'runny' eggs, Brie (pasturised), peanuts.. but in small doses, and I've been okay. I would love a rare steak but I don't think a whole one would be too good.

omg, i would KILL for a runny rgg....lol My midwife scared the poo out of me with he "dont eat it, ITS BAD!!!" rant so ive not dared touch eggs :shock:

Lol fair enough, I don't eat it alot tbh. Just sometimes I fancy poached egg - I'll make sure the yolk is cooked so it goes white over the top but still runny :D I'm really bad though, if I want something I HAVE to have it..well done for restraining yourself :)

bah.. i eat everything! **except pate.. liver products..but im craving it.. the fish that have mercury in, soft cheeses (dont liek them) no icecream of the icecream man coz hes sweaty blergh! dont have sweets off him either lol..

but i have eatten
prawns (loads of atleast once a fortnight)
smoked salmon loads of
mussles
cockles
salami
cold meats
soft eggs
rare steak

i think a lot of this dont eat this food etc is a load of codswhallop..except if there is evidence such as to much vitamine A, mercury etc..

you know if it tastes weird dont eat it.. you know you should cook it all properly.. know that eggs with lion stamp are salmonella free (chickens get a vaccine)
listeria only grows if the product isnt fresh.. such as RIPENED cheeses, and shell fish that isnt cooked properly or is off.. i cook muscles myself. those open before cooking throw and those closed after cooking throw.. the rest are fine to eat.. prawns.. well if they are fresh you know.. always pick the package close to the back with the longest sell buy date on.. etc.. jared cockles i have eatten.. yum yum..

yes you have to be sensible.. and if you dont agree or dont want to risk it then dont.. i think a bit of what you fancy is fine..

I dont trust anything these health bods say about things to avoid, and not to do. They change their minds so often!

They're saying now we're not allowed to make up bottles of milk the night before and keep them in the fridge, they have to be made up one at a time when they are going to be used.
Sod that for a game of soldiers! I always made James' bottles up in advance and he was never ill from it. It was the recommended way to do it back then.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
laurenl27
Back