Antenatal classes?

adele88

Reaction score
Is antenatal classes actually worthwhile going to or not? Can i research online books etc without having to attend these classes?

I found them useful, for local accurate information. Also for OH to get the same information and prompt a bit of discussion between us about the birth etc. Not so much for the social contact for me though.

i know what you mean im quite worried about labour so it might be worthwhile me attending these classes. Does the midwife discuss labour and pain relief with you?

I had four sessions, of two hours each session. They went over early labour, pain relief, other ways of coping, complications, when to phone your delivery suite. We also had a breastfeeding workshop and a session with the HV about bringing baby home and checks after the birth! It wasn't particularly new information but I found it reassuring, and was good to hear what happens in my hospital rather than in very general terms which is what you usually get in books.

Last edited:
i didnt attend any, i have a doula who has taken me through alot of stuff/lent me information

i would have been interested in hypnobirthing but someone telling me to imagine myself by the side of a lake gets a snigger at the best of times let alone when i am in labour

as for the breathing thing... well i have done well the last 26 years i think i will be fine!

My NHS classes actually took us round the labour ward, showed us the room you go in before youre admitted etc... it was really nice to see it cos now I can imagine it, and OH knows where to go. I found it useful for OH to actually get told stuff and get us to discuss things like whether he wants to cut the cord.

thanks everyone

im still not sure whether to go to them or not i think when your actually in labour all the things you learn will just go out the window lol trying to stay calm when in labour is really hard i would imagine but the breathing techniques would be really helpful!
maybe go for one see how i get on

I didn't go to them with lacey and won't with little man either! I was worried that if I learnt things then things went differently in labour, I'd panic!! I decided I'd never been in labour before so wanted to be open minded!! This time I'll go with the flow again! The m/w's kept saying bout breathing exercises though and I was like eh?! Now I kinda know what to do!

I found mine quite useful, although I had done quite a bit of reading the random bits of info were good, and helped me form my next set of questions for the MW...
...I was surprised with how little some of the ladies knew and I was about the least for gone...
We got a tour of delivery suite, well one of the low dependency rooms.
Have got the next one next week, we only get 2 2 hour NHS sessions which was a bit too short... :flower:

I didn't go to them with lacey and won't with little man either! I was worried that if I learnt things then things went differently in labour, I'd panic!! I decided I'd never been in labour before so wanted to be open minded!! This time I'll go with the flow again! The m/w's kept saying bout breathing exercises though and I was like eh?! Now I kinda know what to do!

yeah i think thats what i will do but alot of people say its important to stay calm and breath i think i will be a nervous wreck and totally panic:eh:

I found mine quite useful, although I had done quite a bit of reading the random bits of info were good, and helped me form my next set of questions for the MW...
...I was surprised with how little some of the ladies knew and I was about the least for gone...
We got a tour of delivery suite, well one of the low dependency rooms.
Have got the next one next week, we only get 2 2 hour NHS sessions which was a bit too short... :flower:

yeah i reckon that will be the interesting part touring the delivery suite, i think i will start researching before going into labour learn myself hehe

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
kayx94
Back