Paranoid about BP

Haylian

Reaction score
Had a mw apt yesterday and my BP was up, not massively high but up from last time.
It's the one thing I've been worried about since getting pregnant as I've had high BP before and don't want to end up being monitored by hospital.
Everything else was fine, no protein in urine no headaches etc.
I think I was just really hot and as I have really deep veins I'd worked myself up a bit as had to have my bloods done which is usually tricky.
Got to go back in 2 wees to have it checked and if its still high I've got to go to hospital :-(

Anyone else being monitored for high BP?

X

Im not but I had high BP previously and it turned out it was just with this one nurse, she was evil I tell you!! Don't work yourself up, I swear mine got high just by thinking it might be. I'm more prone to low BP now.
Maybe get a BP monitor for home, they're only quite cheap from a chemists. That's what I did eventually. You can check your own when your nice and relaxed then. You may find yours is fine really, just a, one off. But if you worry too much for next time that'll make it go up.

Xxx

I had the same at my last midwife appointment last week then again at my consulation appointment on Tuesday - on the Tuesday I had just had a cappucino and I dont think that helped - they didnt seem worried though. It has been warm too so its probably just a one off x

Take deep breaths I find I can actually lower mine when they are taking it by simply breathing slowly and deeply. They had one high reading before but that was evil mw not my usual one I am sure I was worked up just sitting near her LOL as for being monitored it will be fine do whatever is best for you and baby chances are it was a one off dodgey reading and next time make sure you have time n not rushed and feel cool and relaxed xxx

Yeah I'm worried ill worry next time and make it go up.
Trying really hard not to think about it, but as its the only thing I was panicked about it just deflated me a bit. Hopefully next time I'll be ok again :) x

I was a bit worried about mine this week. Before pregnancy it was only 90/60 and it's actually been a more normal 105/65 range, but this week it was 135/88!! I'm putting it down to me being unwell and they seemed to have no concerns. I've considered getting a little home monitor as they're not that expensive.

If you do have to go to hospital, what they normally do is take your blood pressure several times over a period of time. I'd had some blurred vision, so they wanted to rule out Pre-eclampsia. I was there for about an hour and they took my BP every 20 minutes to get an accurate reading.

I think mine was 140/82 I've no idea how bad that is? I'm just going to try not to worry about it.
I assume your BP was normal at the hospital? Or was it still high? X

Ask them to take a few readings hun. Or ask them to take it last / let you lie down...

I have severe white coat syndrome (I'd rather have 10 blood tests than have my BP taken) so mine was always up but they'd take it a few times and see it get lower so were happy it was my phobia.

I did end up on a trace at 38w as my BP wouldn't go down (urine was fine), they also took my BP 4 times during the hour and it was fine every reading. They did make me go for a 39w appointment because of this, which of course set me off in a massive panic.

Incidentally on the day I had baby I wasn't fussed about having my BP taken and my readings were fine!

xxxxxxx

Mine is usually around 140/80 or 140/85, and they're not worried yet. Apparently when the bottom number goes over 90, that's our midwives "cut off" for high blood pressure x

Oh we'll that's good to know then, I'll stop my wickling now ;-) thanks girls x

The other thing I would add is that make sure they are using the right sized cuff- my midwife measured my arm and now uses the large cuff, she said to look at my arm she wouldnt have guessed that she would need to but using a cuff thats too small can give a higher reading x

That's a good point actually cause the last time I went she used the large cuff but not this time..... Hmmmmm x

Tri hopping here...

I'm having my bp monitored due to high bp in a previous pregnancy. I would definitely agree about getting a bp monitor for home - it's really easy to get stressed when you've had one high bp reading at the mw's and therefore have another high reading (white coat syndrome), which isn't reflective of what your bp is normally.

140/82 isn't that bad, in fact the diastolic (82) is within normal range, it's just the systolic that's a little high at the moment. When I had pre-eclampsia, my bp was 220/110 at one point!!!

If you got stressed over your bloods being taken, I would imagine that would cause a higher bp reading. I remember one stupid GP taking my bp just after asking about my experience with my last pregnancy and - what a surprise - it was very high!! After I calmed down it was back to normal.

Try not to worry, I'm sure it was just a blip x

I got my own BP machine as soon as I had my 12w scan as I knew I'd be having it taken loads.

It still took me months to work myself up to using it.

I used to take my BP 9 times a day :shock: before an appointment to a) get an accurate reading and b) to get myself used to having it taken.

I'd have normal BP at home and it would still shoot up when someone took it

xxxxxxxx

Haylian, it's the lower reading that is the one they watch for and as long as it's under 90 they don't tend to worry so a reading of 82 is absolutely fine. Mine was 87 when I went yesterday and has tended to be about 80 up til now but they weren't overly concerned because my urine was fine and just told me to watch out for any sudden swelling of hands, face or feet xx

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
laurenl27
Back