High BP and Pre Eclampsia

elliej

Reaction score
hi, have posted on ask a mum but just thought i would sk here if anyone else has got a high BP and what did your docs say? what have you been told to do/ look out for?
its just my BP thats high no protien orother problems and LO is fine, but i want to be prepared in case.
cheers

Hi ya,

I've had high bp since 35 weeks and it was ranging from being over 90 - 109 (bottom number) They have put me on labetolol now and it has controlled it really well. But however I still have to go twice a week to the day unit to go on the ctg for 20 minutes and have urine checked . It was everyday but as long as I go there twice a week and to see thedmidwife it is fine. Hopefully you will be like me and Fingers crossed it has just been the bp and now I am getting induced 7 days over rather than 12.But they have said if any problems then to get in touch straight away as BP isnt a reliable way to check for PE anymore as it is being controlled by drugs.
They said to watch out for headaches, visual disturbances,swelling and pain in the ribs, If you get anything of these just mention it. Doesnt matter how little it is thats what they are threre for and Ive found my consultant has been brilliant. Have they put you on any medication or are they just keeping an extra close eye on you?

If you wanna chat just PM me hun.

lisa
xx

hi hun, i had high bp towards the end of my pregnancy too (pregnancy induced hypertension.)

i had a little bit of protein most days but it never ever went to pre-eclampsia thankfully. i would have been induced if i hadn't went at term + 3. i was put on labetalol also at about 38 weeks, and it really helps, i used to get awful headaches because of my high bp. look out for visual disturbances - black dots in vision etc, abnormal swelling - like your face going ultra puffy in one day.. things like that are signs of pre-eclampsia.

after i had given birth they stopped the labetalol straight away and my bp soared again, a consultant put me back on it again and they slowly weaned me off it week by week until 4 weeks post natal when i was able to stop completely and my bp has been normal since :D

they will keep a close eye on you and baby hun :hug:

I had pregnancy induced hypertension also with some of the symptoms such as dots in vision, headaches but no protein. There were some other (unfounded) concerns about baby and my bp was going up by the day so I was induced at term +2. The midwives or consultant kept a very close eye on me and I spent lots of time going for bp readings on the ante natal ward, spent a night in hospital and had two emergency admissions to the day clinic to put a trace on or to scan the baby.

Sorry writing it like that makes it sound very dramatic-there wasn't ever anything wrong with baby it's just with such regular checks and always with a different midwife or doctor, they all found differnet things to worry about! My emergency admissions for monitoring at the day unit were both to check the lie of the baby which had only been noticed because I was having my bp checked!

Be prepared for a lot of coming and going from the hospital. It was amusing for me but I didn't mind as I knew that even though I wasn't a very serious case, I was being watched very closely and it felt very reassuring.

i was put on the same tablets as sarafet and ended up having LO naturally at 40 weeks, so high Bp doesnt always mean pre-eclamsia - tho they did think it was at one point but have since changed their mind :roll:

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
kayx94
Back