Painful boob need advice

cloud9

Reaction score
Dylan spent most of yesterday feeding and in the end was getting so frustrated i expressed and gave him 2oz in a bottle before he slept through for the first time. I woke up this am in agony both my boobs were swollen and after Dylans feed I expressed another 7oz but my right boob is still painfull all underneath like it has been strained..has anyone else experienced this.Any advice what i can do.I have expressed some more milk this afternoon can't bear the thought of him pulling on it

I have had this a few times normally after a drop in Ellies intake. It settles down in a couple of days. Unless you want to build up a supply of milk in the freezer I wouldn't express off too much extra as your body will think it needs to produce more milk. Dylan has probably just finished a growth spurt.

If you have a lump there you may be geting mastitus, the best thing to do if this is the case is to position the baby so its chin is by the lump.... ie if the lump is on the outside do a football hold.....

Otherwise I would say its your body reacting to the demand so try not to express to much if your not going to do it reguarly.

cloud9 said:
Dylan spent most of yesterday feeding and in the end was getting so frustrated i expressed and gave him 2oz in a bottle before he slept through for the first time. I woke up this am in agony both my boobs were swollen and after Dylans feed I expressed another 7oz but my right boob is still painfull all underneath like it has been strained..has anyone else experienced this.Any advice what i can do.I have expressed some more milk this afternoon can't bear the thought of him pulling on it

Do you have a specific time you pump?
If you dont I think you maybe causing yourself to have problems hun, if your pumping is all over the place there wil be times you will be overly engorged because the night before you expressed alot, stimulating the milk ducts to produce more when you dont need it, what you do the night or day before really does impact on what will happen the next day.

Say for example you express tuesday at 6 pm, the next day you dont need it because you topped him up with the expressed milk during the day, therfore hes not as hungry that evening, you come to 6 pm next day and youll be engorged.

I think your over pumping, you need to trust your body hun, or at least give aside a time everyday were your going to do it, you can cause alot of problems and mastitis is something you really do not want to deal with

I hope that helps :hug:

try having a bath and getting a hot flannel and expressing some milk this helps to ease the pain. Also bruise some cabbage leaves and put them in your bra.... this also helps relieve engorged breasts

As for mastitis i have had this several times...i felt very ill like flu but worse sometimes with a definite lump (sometimes without i have very lumpy boobs)
Keep an eye out for that...

goodluck :hug:

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nicola111
Back