OV'ing twice?!

joj

Reaction score
I always get OV pain, it's very distinctive and I get it every month, not something I coukd usually mistake. I OV'd Thursday, had all the signs ewc, consistent higher temp and OV pain, we bd Weds and Thurs so thought we had a pretty good chance but today I am getting OV pain again, ewc and my temp dipped Fri but was up again yesterday and today, is it possible to OV twice in the same month or is my body just playing tricks on me?!

It's not technically possible to ov twice in a cycle because the progesterone that is created when you release an egg stops the rest of the follicles from continuing to mature. It is possible to have a 'double ovulation', but that is when both eggs are released within 12-24 hours of each other and during the same LH surge. It could be that you didn't ov the first time around after all and your body is trying again. :)

( Long post :lol: ) grab a coffie :lol:

Hi It is possible to ovulate twice in your cycle
very rare but has been done they say if this happens it usally is within 12 to 24 hrs after your first egg come out so melissa5317 was right there but i am one of the ladys that has had this happen to me twice.

The first time it ever happend was when i first started attending the fertility clinic i had not been given any meds from them at that point
so we couldnt say it was down to any meds i was taking.
They took some bloods from on day 21 i was having the same cycle length as i am now which is 37 they were up and down that was half the reason why i was at the clinic .

I was using opks and i got a positive on clear blue opk day 14 and then felt ovulation pain on day 28 i always feel ovulation and implantation pain my body is very tuned in :lol: i had some spare sticks for the clear blue opk digital and it come up positive and i had the ewcm so i phoned the nurse at the clinic.

She said it was impossible and that if it was to happen it would be
12 to 24 hrs after the first egg was released but said come in and we will do a blood test. A few weeks later i went to see the doc
for the results etc and it showed that i ovulated twice that month
different times and they was a bit suprised and called me a hen. :lol:

Then march just gone i got a bfp i went for a scan at 5weeks cause i had really bad pains and with me being a missed miscarraige patient
i have a miscarraige nurse who is now like a friend and she said some
down and we will scan you but cant promise we will see anything.
She said she seen two sac with nothing there and told me to come back next week. Which i did i was told i had 3 sacs two measuring the same and they was fracternal twins both heart beats seen .

which means two eggs come out one after another but 12 to 24 hrs apart but the 3rd sac was a lot smaller and was measuring the measurement a 5 week sac would which means there was a possible chance i did the same thing that time and ovulated 1 week later. The 3rd sac vanished at week 7 and i lost Twin B at 7wks 3 days and Twin A at 10 wk scan but baby died at 8wks 2 days Both twins was girls.

The doctor said to me i was the only woman he has heard that happen here in england and i was the only one they had registered wether it had happend in peoples cycles but they never got pg for doctors to now about it i dont know but he said 1 woman it happend to in america or it was russia one of them cant remeber now. She got pg with triplets and thats how they found out because of sac measurements even if a baby is smaller or bigger than one another the gest sacs are always the same that how they know.

I read the story about it here on the net the doctor told me its on the net so i went home and read it They say thesa things arnt possible but they are its just very rare and does not happen often.

I am Screaming out now for a double ovualtion :lol: just one baby am not greedy :) xx

Hope this helps :hug:

Can a woman ovulate more than once during each cycle?

A woman cannot ovulate more than once during each cycle, therefore she cannot get pregnant more than once during a cycle. Multiple ovulation can occur and is when two or more eggs are released in a single cycle. Both eggs are released during one 24 hour period and are responsible for the birth of fraternal twins. It is believed that this may occur in as many as 5-10% of all cycles but does not result in that many twins due to a type of miscarriage referred to as the “vanishing twin phenomenon.”

SpaceAngel said:
Hope this helps :hug:

Can a woman ovulate more than once during each cycle?

A woman cannot ovulate more than once during each cycle, therefore she cannot get pregnant more than once during a cycle. Multiple ovulation can occur and is when two or more eggs are released in a single cycle. Both eggs are released during one 24 hour period and are responsible for the birth of fraternal twins. It is believed that this may occur in as many as 5-10% of all cycles but does not result in that many twins due to a type of miscarriage referred to as the “vanishing twin phenomenon.”
Dont belive everything you read thats not true. Did you read my story i ovualted twice days apart from each other confirmed by 2 blood tests .
Then i got pg with triplets it was the 3rd gest sac that vanished
which was measuring 5wks at a 6wks scan which worked out
i ovulated later in the cycle.i think the doctor would know.
And i ovualted from both ovarys. i still had the twins on board when the 3rd sac vanished. My fracternal twins never vanished and i never had a miscarrage its called a missed miscarraige another word used by some
hospitals uterine death. My babys hearts just stopped i never bled
and had a miscarraige that way. There was heart beats and the loss of my twins was down to a blood clottingdisorder.
They use to say its impossible and now if you ask they say its
very very rare but has been known thats why the doctor
said i must be the only registered person in england who he
has heard of this happing to. If i was lucky enough to of kept
all babies and lost none of them they might of been able to prove
somthing because its then that they would of seen what stages
the 3rd fetal was forming and the fracternal twins would of been well a head of the 3rd baby if you understand what i mean. :D
I said that the fracternal twins was one egg coming out 12 -24 hrs apart but the 3rd egg the 3rd baby come from the right ovary and
the doctor said looks like it was 1 week later.

Thanks for the replies, I called dr this morning just to make sure nothing was amiss, she said it is possible but very unlikely unless it's within 24 hours. Either way OH and I bd just incase, guess I start my 2ww from now!

Hi :wave: I got your message :D
I told you they say its very rare but it does happen
Like i said it happen to me not 24 hrs later at least 5 days later
but i can only go by what my fertility doctor said my blood
tests where and that they confirmed i did and then just go
by what the doctor said at ultrasound when i was last pg.
So maybe it is very rare for this to happen and they have no
one who has had babys out of it when it has happend to prove
it. Dam it i could of been in the guiness book of records if i never
miscarried :rotfl:

Thanks for finding this hun :hug: this happend to me.
when people ask this question i say yes its true you can but very rare & it happend to me i think people
must think i am a loon because they have read and been told by doctors who say its not possibleto do so.
But i know i am living proof cause it happend to me thats why they could only see the twins sacs
because the 3rd has been fertilised days after them and was still to early to see on scan.
Did this woman live in england ? My doc must not of knew about her as he only mention someone
from america or russia i think it was russia. :hug:

The couple were from Essex. There was another couple from the UK in 2007 I read about in journals, but not sure if it made the papers.
It is possibly slightly more common than previously realised, as the only way to really detect it is with early ultrasounds, at a time when people normally wouldn't realise they are even pregnant (unless they are TTC). Later on in the pregnancy it would be presumed the babies were conceived at the same time.
With more people having early scans it will probably be more accurately documented and become more widely understood and accepted in the medical world.
It wasn't that long ago heteropaternal superfecundation (fraternal twins with different fathers) was considered an urban myth but the advent of DNA testing has shown it is not only possible but far more common than people think.
I personally think such areas of research are fascinating.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nicola111
Back