Overweight?

teampc

Reaction score
Hey all, I had a family friend on the phone yesterday upset because the school had sent her a letter about her daughter saying she is too overweight and something needs to be done about it!

Now for a start I wouldn't say she was overweight, she is 11/12, 5'4 and 8 stone, they are saying she needs to be more active......despite the fact she is on all the school sports teams and swims 2 or 3 times a week depending on what else is on. They eat proper food all but one night a week when they have a takeaway.
They have told her about the letter, and she is very upset and now isn't wanting to eat etc

I'm angered by it all to be honest, I got bullied at school for not being skinny and I can imagine she goes through similar despite probably being fitter than most the other kids.

I was just wondering what u all think, she looks up to me so I'm thinking she may want to talk about it at some point and I want to approach it right. Im worried about her

Wow that's awful!!!! I was also bullied at school because of my weight which when the actual bullying started I was not fat just bigger than the other girls due to my shape!

I think first and foremost your friends need to make sure that the daughter understands she is not overweight if she isnt because this could easily lead to an eating disorder!!!

I think also Maybe just explain to her that she will grow into her body as she gets older!

With regards to the school I think an official complaint needs to made as this is not the way they should
Be dealing with situations like this,if they are sending letters put like this to more people kids will be developing eating disorders left,right and centre it's disgraceful!!!!

makes me cross i ended up in therapy due to weight issues which stemmed from childhood children should not be made to feel imperfect or not goodenough it sets them for self esteem issues bloody government should know better

thats truly terrible! i cannot believe that a school would do that! i got bullied at school for being overweight.I was on evry single sports team - cricket, football (mens and womens) rounders, hockey, netball, by the time i got to secondary school i was 11/12 and 5'3 and in a 16 /18 clothes. i was a big girl. However when i hit 16 it dropped off. and i got down to a natural 10/12. However due to othe bullying i became norexic and became a 6....which althouhgh im short im naturall thicker built. you could see every bone in my body. when i wore jeans my hips poked out so much that you could see doewn my trousers etc.

Tell the little girl not t worry. she has to put on more weight at the moemnt as shes gonna start going through puberty, growing tall etc and she needs the extra 'energy' its nosmal. my brother was the same as me, and is now 6'2 beanpole!! xx

thanks for your replies girls, glad to hear you agree with me, I was worried I was angered because Im close to them if you see what I mean :)

I really hope she doesnt let it get to her, I have suggested the mum has a word with the school, if it was me Id be going mad at them lol

Wow that winds me up!
I don't know how they do it with older kids, but I'd assume the same as the school entry ones. As in they weigh them... But don't actually taketheir height into account.
This girl is v young... But only an inch and a half shorterthan me. I'd kill to be that weight! Or Ben half weigh between hers and mine!
With younger kids they just do the weight so assuming it's te same with her, they r seeing she's heavier than the average kid her age, but if guess not making an allowance for er height.
Also muscle weighs less than fat, so people who are very active ( if she is,, rather than just average ish) should not have that kinda thug measured against them. Ie sports players wouldn get bmi tested etc
X
Sorry not v good advice, but saw it and it annoyed me so had to comment!
As long as the poor girl is healthy, who gives a dam! No wonder so many young girls end up with eating disorders!!
X

Apologies for awful spelling mistakes, doing this on iPhone and never proofread before I post on this! X

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
kayx94
Back