Other people's reactions to BLW

mrswoody

Reaction score
Hi ladies,

Has anyone had any interfering comments from family/friends about choosing BLW?
For example a family member told me I should give M something more substantial than just bits of veg/fruit. :wall2:
I mean what am I expected to give her? A full Sunday roast?

Do the "older" generation not understand that times move on and things are just simply different than say 20 odd years ago?

I've had no comments about what I do with M until I started weaning and it's all oh she'll choke etc etc :shakehead:
After my wobble the other day I really am trying to keep going with it I just wish people would get with the times? :roll:

xx

Hugs Hun. My in laws think I am a complete fruit loop and that I am out to damage there grandson 'you will regret not listening to us when something happens'.

I have now got to the point where by I ignore all the negativity because some people will not be reasoned with!

Xx

To be honest Hun, they are probably just ignorant. In their day finger foods weren't given until 7 months or much older. Are there any leaflets you could get them, or just sit and explain how M is perfectly capable of feeding herself, the risk of choking is no higher than with purées, and some of the BLW principles? Xx

I try to ignore it but it is hard not to bite sometimes.

Sally I've tried to explain it. I'll let them see my BLW book I think. I do think your right ignorance has a big part to play in it c

I'm sick of being told 'he's hungry, he wants solid food'.
We've started weaning at 6 months and I'm sick of family members (always older) trying to ram crap down his throat.
He's gaining weight, he's enjoying his milk and he's definitely not hungry!
I wish they'd all just back off. They had their shot at parenting and now it's my turn and what I say goes xxx

We had 'prune gate' I was at my mil and fils and gave W a prune as a snack... FIL took the prune off W and put it in the bin. I was mad, and upset. They have never commented on anything iv done... Except the finger foods.
Mi mix weaning. I do give purée's, just fork mashed food now and some BLW finger foods.xx

It's good to know its not just me that gets it then. I will use your phrase kitty see how I get on ;) x

We get this too! Ethan has both mashed up spoon fed food and finger food..
My mum is always on tenderhooks waiting for Ethan to choke and hates giving him finger food when he's in her care.. But my nan is even worse! She nearly had a fit when she saw me giving Ethan strawberries cut in half to feed himself :lol:
Ethan never gags or gives them any need to worry.. I think it's just an age thing as it's so different to what they did with their babies! xx

Last edited:
Just seen this, hun. Yeah, I get it from my parents and my in-laws. Luckily we don't see them often! Now that T is 11 months old they have backed off a bit, but my mum drives me nuts when she tells me to make sure that the pasta or rice I give her are cooked until they are soft, not al dente or I'll 'hurt her stomach'. I could rant for ages about this, but I shan't. Just keep going and try to ignore it - you're doing what you believe is best and that should be good enough for them. Maybe just give them the opportunity to educate themselves about it. xxx

Babies are pretty good at working food out. In the beginning Cody using to gag on breadsticks now he never does, he has scampo, toast, al dente pasta and he has absolutely no problems. Equally he loves exfoliating his face with mashed potatos so tell them BLW isnt just finger foods.

We were lucky and didn't have any probs with family.

One MILs friends summed it up really well for me when she said that seeing all the new stuff we did with Georgia and how much better it works made her feel a bit guilty about what she did with hers (30 &28 - so same age as me).

Made me think that maybe a lot of people who critise are trying to justify that what they did was ok, especially as there's a lot more research/info available now suggesting that things our parents were TOLD to do can be down right harmful. I can't imagine how I'd feel in 30years time if G is sitting explaining that she's following some 'new trend' cos there's evidence to show that what I've chooser to do with her was dangerous.

On my iPhone - so cant see tickers :(

I think your probably right.
We've not had anymore comments really since that one.
My mum is coming to look after M over night soon so I just hope she is confident enough to do the feeding with her, if not I totally understand if she would want to mash it a little.
Either way M likes her food anyway it comes really :)

No doubt when M is my age there will be some new age way to feed babies lol x

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nicola111
Back