BLW Qu's? & What to avoid from 6 months?

laracomps

Reaction score
OK so Phoebe is finally 6 months on Sunday. She's week 3 into weaning and doing really well, it has def helped her reflux as I've almost been able to cut out 1 of her meds. Still a struggle to get milk in but hey ho.

She is so interested in everything I have to eat - so I want to try and introduce a bit of BLW as from Sunday. She's already doing really well with C&G rice cakes. She'd rather have them than puree a lot of the time!

So, what do I need to avoid giving her? I know she can't have honey, nuts etc, and low salt & sugar. But for instance, if I gave her some toast, do I need to use a specific bread? Do I put butter on it? What cheese is best, I got some Dairylea triangles, can she have those? Or just sticks of cheddar? How big do you cut the sticks?

When can they have hummous? She was after my hummous pitta the other day lol.

Cheers all.

I be very interested in the answers too!

Do people make their own hummous or buy it? If you buy it, which is a decent one to go for? Becky is going to have her first ever toast on Monday!

Its really easy girls, just use your common sense.

For toast, I always use wholemeal or seedy batch bread as I reckon its packed full of good stuff. You can use pretty much any spread - I didn't use dairylea until DD was 1 year as its got a bit of cr*p in it, but from 6 months I used, houmous (homemade but now back at work so don't have the time so use good quality Tesco houmous), philadelphia, unsalted butter, mashed avocado (this is an excellent one - a superfood, full of good fats), mashed banana.

You can also use reduced sugar jam or marmalade - I don't but again this is personal preference. I think you can use smooth peanut butter too but again I haven't bothered as I don't like it (silly I know!). You could use pure fruit puree instead of jam if you like?

Pitta fingers are a great idea and if you grill them with tomato puree and small chopped veg like mushrooms, onions and peppers - pizza fingers!

If I cut up cheese, I usually cut it into small cubes. When she was younger, I used to buy a good organic cheese, but with food prices rising rapidly, we just can't afford that now - so she just gets Tesco cheddar.

Good luck!

Valentine Xxx

laracomps said:
She is so interested in everything I have to eat - so I want to try and introduce a bit of BLW as from Sunday. She's already doing really well with C&G rice cakes. She'd rather have them than puree a lot of the time!

we tried the rice cakes the other day - I got a 'what is this carboard tasting rubbish' look from her, before she tossed it away :lol: Dog seemed to like them though :roll:

thats the beauty of 6 moths - you can give baby what you have as log as it is low salt and no honey. I ted to put cheese spread, smooth peanut butter, unsalted butter etc on toast (I personally use white bread as babies need a low fibre high fat diet). Seren loved hummous though I haven't tried Cally with it yet as I haven't had any in the house for a few weeks. Sticks are the thickness of a finger, so Cally can hold them easily.

WOW this info is like gold dust thanks :D

After I wrote this I gave her her tea, Apple & Banana puree and the only way she'd eat it was by feeding herself LOL so I think its def the way to go. I'm gonna do a mix of both for a few weeks as I have lots of puree in the freezer and see how we go.

Final question (for tonight anyway hehe). Is shop bought hummous ok? I tend to go for Organic everything that she eats, for now anyway (stupid credit crunch), so I'd just go for Tescos Organic one or something?

Toby is taking us to Pizza Express to celebrate her 6 months WOO. She's not having my pizza tho! :lol:

Muchos gracias!

beanie said:
(I personally use white bread as babies need a low fibre high fat diet). .

One of my friends does this too - is this the correct thing to do? I hate the idea of giving DD white bread as it goes all doughy in my tummy and makes me feel a bit sick and lethargic.

laracomps said:
Is shop bought hummous ok? I tend to go for Organic everything that she eats, for now anyway (stupid credit crunch), so I'd just go for Tescos Organic one or something?

Just check the ingredients on the back - you're looking for as many natural ingredients as possible, not lots of additives and preservatives so avoid things with big lists of cr*p in them! I think Tesco ordinary houmous is fine as far as I remember.

I used to go for Organic everything too for DD but she eats what we eat now (has done from about 8 months) and we just can't afford it!

Valentine Xxx

valentine said:
beanie said:
(I personally use white bread as babies need a low fibre high fat diet). .

One of my friends does this too - is this the correct thing to do? I hate the idea of giving DD white bread as it goes all doughy in my tummy and makes me feel a bit sick and lethargic.

It is but if Ella is only having a little bit of bread then wholemeal would be fine. Cally eats lots of fruit and veg at this time so I am just worried she will have too much fibre if we gave her wholegrain too whereas Seren is eating a more varied diet so I wouldn't be as fussy IYKWIM.

Great reading for us too - we are getting prepared for BLW (nearly 6 months). I did 'test' and gave half a banana to LO and she loved it. She was able to swollow and spitted out big lumps!

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nicola111
Back