Salt...

munchkin1982

Reaction score
Well, Layla and I are getting on well with the weaning (I think lol ;-) ) and she is loving her food of fruits and veggies. I am giving her purees of everything at the moment but hope to introduce finger foods and do a bit of blw soon.

Anyhow, what my main question here is...

When you puree up home foods (ie spag bol, shepherds pie etc etc) what about the salt content??? For example, when I make shepherds pie, I make it with gravy. Gravy is quite salty. It's been drummed into us down here that you should not give babies salt/sugar, or is this just "added salt and sugar"? In otherwords, salt already in the foodstuff to make a finished recipe etc - just no seasoning of herbs or extra salt? I really hope I am making sense.

I'm a worrier at the best of times but I am concerned that if I blitz some of our meals for her I think the salt or sugar content may be too high for her? Any advice would be much appreciated... thank you :) xx

This is the reason why Isla hasn't had any of "our" meals. You could cook her meat separately and use the Heinz gravy, stock etc which is designed for babies? I think if you remember not to salt the pasta or potatoes while boiling that would obviously reduce the salt level. I'm sure a small amount of your dinner in comparison to your plate will be fine x

Thanks Emma... I'm actually really good with salt... I NEVER cook with it to be honest. I never boil veg/pasta etc with salt. Never seen the point to be honest.

It's more a case of worrying about the salt content already in food (without us physically "adding more" salt etc) but gravy is a huge "player on my mind" at the moment.

Will have a look into "baby gravy" though... thanks ;-)

Obviously if anyone else can advise us that we are worrying over nothing again then that would be great! I'm just concerned that I need to start introducing meats into her regime soon so would be easier to get her used to the sorts of things we eat too ;-) xx

Babies are aloud 1gram or 0.4gram sodium a day. Noa eats our food, we have less salt in our food n when I shop I look at what amount salt is in it. If you eat something salty for example gravy just give her a very very small amount or leave the gravy out for her. If we eat something where I've got conserns then I give Noa a little to taste n add on with whatever else we eat aswell.
It won't harm to have a high salt day, just be careful it don't happends to often.
And never add salt (i would never add sugar either)
Also, check if you buy "childre" products like cheese straws, cheese triangles, they have extreamly high salt content for a baby.
Another thing that I'm very careful with is fibres, (fibre-pasta, rice, quorn) not good for Lo atall. They get enough fibres in there diets anyway.

I don't add any salt to cooking and I don't give him gravy either. I haven't thought about the salt content in foods but I doubt there's that much in what I make for him (I hope)

Thanks girls. I really don't know what I'd do without you! I'm guessing shepherds pie won't be one of the meals on the menu for Layla then haha! Far too much gravy in that! What sort of foods do you give you LO's then? Layla is still on just fruits, veggies, and fromage frais... xx

Im a bit bad when it comes to this. I buy reduced salt beans and gravy and only give her little bits but I do probably give her more than I should but nothing else has salt in so Im not too worried to be honest. Like I say, I dont give her masses though.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nicola111
Back