Oscar born 13/9/08 9lb 14oz

Mildly

Reaction score
Sorry this has taken so long to write :oops:

On Thursday 11th September, I noticed I had what looked like a bloody show in the afternoon and got a little bit excited although I had been experiencing 'signs' for about the previous three weeks; pressure, period pain etc. On Friday I had an appointment at the hospital to discuss induction and was going to go alone as OH had a meeting at work, however I started to get regular period pains at about 7am that morning and so phoned OH to come home before my appointment so he could drive me to it. The pains didn't feel very strong and I was worried that I was imagining things - the fact that they were noticably coming and going was a new development though and I lost a bit more bloody show that morning too. I rang CDS to let them know and they advised me to go to the induction appointment regardless but to bring my bags!!

At the appointment I was rigged up to the monitor which showed I was having regular contractions of about 4 minutes apart and the highest reading was 57 during the hour. LO's heartbeat was nice and constant too. The midwife was pleased and decided to check how dilated I was. I was 2cm (this was around midday) and she gave me a quick stretch and sweep which was a bit painful - I wasn't really expecting that! After she's laughed at my swearing she said that she reckoned he would be here by tonight, although she booked me in for an induction on the Monday, just in case.

We headed home and the bumpy car ride (or maybe the sweep) brought my contractions on further. They seemed to be more painful and slightly closer together so I decided after a while to have a long bath and a couple of paracetamol. I think I stayed in there for a couple of hours until around 7.30pm and things were getting really painful. I was pretty much writhing and moaning in the bath although I did find it helpful to sloosh water over my bump when the contractions were really intense. After I got out of the bath I rang CDS again and they said to make our way in, I checked on the availability of the birthing pool room and it was free :cheer:

I thought the journey to the hospital was going to be unbearable but it wasn't actually too bad. I think OH drove slowly and avoided the bumps although I think he wanted to drive as fast as he could. I kept worrying that they were going to announce I wasn't any further dilated and send me home again.

We got there parked and walked to Central Delivery and were shown into the pool room. The midwife came to check me over and laughed as she said I was 8cm dilated. I was really proud of myself for getting that far on just paracetamol and thought yay, I'll be seeing Oscar in a matter of hours :D She then broke my waters which went everywhere and was all warm ugh - it was like wetting yourself :shakehead: I got into the pool and was shown how to use the gas and air. The midwife left us to it and we put music on (The Jam) and OH had a go on the gas and air. I didn't really feel anything on it but he thought it was good lol! After that the contractions got a lot more intense and I was starting to feel like I wanted to push. The midwife told me to listen to me body and go with it. But although I could feel lots of pressure, I just couldn't let go to really bear down, no idea why. At that point the midwives changed over and we were introduced to our new midwife Charlotte, I think this was about 10pm.

Things were getting really painful by this point and I was starting to get fed up. Charlotte suggested I get out of the pool for a wee which I did but couldn't do anything. I then, refused to get back in the pool and demanded an epidural :oops: Also OH keeps telling me he was trying not to laugh because I kept saying I wanted to go home :oops: Anyway we negotiated and went for Pethadine but because of this and because I wasn't going to be getting back in the pool we had to change rooms.

It all then starts to get a bit hazy for me, I remember whining that the Pethadine wasn't helping and also feeling pretty frustrated because the pain was just so intense. The midwife then said that they were going to put me on the drip in order to try and get me to dilate further - I had been stuck at 8cm since about 8ish and it must have been about 1am by then maybe 2am. I think I said that I wasn't going to have the drip unless they gave me an epidural :oops: as I'd heard things often get even more intense with the drip to bring on contractions. She agreed and the anaethetist was called to do his thing. I remember thinking that there would be no way I could stay still during contractions long enough for him to stick a needle in my back but surprisingly that was fairly easy. He did wait until a contraction had passed before starting the procedure but half way through another one hit although he kept going through it. Then they rigged me up to the machine to measure everything - I think I had about three sensor bands on my belly. That's when the epidural kicked in and it was such a relief, I immediately calmed down and stopped swearing from the pain. I think I even apologised to the midwife at that point for shouting at her earlier :oops: From then on, I was a really happy labouring person :D Then next thing I remember is being introduced to the registrar who told me that they would have to do an emergency c section because I wasn't progressing and because Oscar's head was in a difficult position. It didn't really sink in then but what with the epidural I would have agreed to anything! Andy told me later that my contractions measurements were off the scale and that Oscar was registering signs of distress and that is why they decided to go for the c section.

They wheeled me down to theatre and the anaethetist checked to see that the epidural was at the right level. Then the screen was erected and OH was sitting down by my side. It felt as though someone just had their hands on my stomach and it was only until I felt rumaging in that area that I realised they had cut me and were in. It wasn't long before I heard crying and the registrar saying 'It's a boy' and everyone else in the theatre saying how big he was! They wrapped him and brought him round for OH to hold, then put him on my chest although I couldn't really hold him properly and so they took him away and put him in the fishbowl where he proceeded to eat his fist to demonstrate how hungry he was :lol:

It then seemed ages as they were sewing me up and I slept a bit now and again. Apparently they saw some oozing and so sewed me up about three times until they were certain they hadn't nicked the bladder or bowel or anything else. In the end they left a drain in so they could study the ooze at their leisure. Then finally about 2 and a half hours after we entered theatre we were taken to the recovery room for weighing.

Oscar weighed 9lb 14oz and the midwife dressed him for us and put his tags on. OH then went home for a sleep as we'd been up since the Friday morning and it was over 24 hours later. The midwives gave me a wash down and something to eat and then they transferred us to the ward so we could get some sleep. We were discharged four days later and allowed to go home :)

Just wanted to say thanks to my text buddies NickyB and Claireyfairey and to all the other ladies that I went through the tris with and the friends I have made on this forum for all their support :hug:

Edit- almost forgot to put a picture on :roll: :D

picture529qr8.jpg

Congratulations!

And thank goodness for epidurals :D

Congratulations hun, I know things didnt quite go to plan, but glad it all turned out well x

CONGRATULATIONS HUN

Wow what a great size hun.
Born on my birthday to so a fab Virgo :cheer:

Hes beautiful hun :hug:
All the best.

xx

aww lovely birth story. congratulations. i hope to have a water birth

Well done hun, glad Oscar arrived safely even if it was exactly to plan, Im going to read my birth plan aloud to the next one! :lol:
Oscar is gorgeous :D OH wants to know where you got that cute dino suit though, he is jealous - presumably on Evas behalf lol :lol:

Mildly said:
Just wanted to say thanks to my text buddies NickyB and Claireyfairey and to all the other ladies that I went through the tris with and the friends I have made on this forum for all their support :hug:

:hug: :hug: :hug: You're welcome hun! I don't know why I never saw this before - I am replying at nearly 5am :lol:

Congrats - Oscar is a real cutie :)

Lovely birth story, a pleasure to read.

Congratulations on the birth of your LO!

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
JenniferU
Back