Open University

Dragonfly Fi

Reaction score
has anyone used the open university?
we are hoping to get Liam a couple of certificates in Maths and Physics in order to enroll him on a Uni course next year at either Bath or Southampton -
If anyone can help its all very confusing!!

Fi xxx

Hey, bit different but I did an OU Business studies degree about 2 years ago. I honestly found it really really hard. Sorry to put a downer on it but I really struggled with not having someone there to explain the bits I didnt understand. They say that you get loads of tutor support etc but I found it to not be enough. If i emailed my tutor she got back to me a couple of days later which cocked everthing up timetable wise.
I am thinking about going back to full time uni in the next couple of years as i'd like to go into a medical profession and have been looking at access to HE courses run by local colleges. If he has GCSE maths and English he would only need to do about 9 hours a week, they fix the timetable to suit the individual, with evening classes etc and the course lasts one year. You also get help with applying to uni (personal statements etc) which really appealled to me as I wouldnt know where to start and the course is geared towards getting you into uni so basically ensures you get the right number of UCAS points neede to get in!

The thing that appealed to me most is that because i'm under 25 its free!! Cant believe I spent about £2,000 on OU!! Dont know about your personal circumstances but if your partner is under 25, its his first full level 3 qualification or unemployed then its free. Most colleges have hardship grants as well to help out with costs

Good luck
xx

Ps. Colleges offer loads of different subjects as part of the access course so he would pick the ones he wants to do. If he would want to start in September though he'd need to apply asap

Last edited:
My OH did an OU module last year when he was unemployed. He found it quite easy but it was an openings course so I dunno what it would be like if he actually pulled his finger out and progressed to a higher level module. Ive found it really well organised, the textbooks are really clear and theres lots of online support for assignments. But mnm2b said, if you prefer talking things through and working in groups then its a bit lonely.

A bit off topic but what about learn direct? Do they facilitate certificates such as this? Are you looking A-level grade? Maybe your local FE College would do these for mature students, lifelong learning I think they call it. An Access course might be an option too, they are a direct route to University :)

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
itsa1231
Back