One to One Midwives

fairyprincess

Reaction score
Does anyone know about or have used this service? I've had a good mooch around their website and it all sounds great but DH doesn't understand how it can be free?

Also, if I decide to refer myself do I need to ring the hospital to cancel my booking in appointment and explain i've decided to go with them instead?

Any advice welcome x

I am not familiar with how your medical system works as I'm in the USA and our insurance system is a racket. But I can say that after having midwives with my first two pregnancies and births I will never ever do anything else. To me it's the best by so much, I can not imagine doing anything else.

Onetoonemidwives.org it's a serive available in northwest x

That was supposed to say 'service' lol, hopefully someone has some experience with them on here. Lots talking about them on netmums x

Maybe il Google it anyway see what it's says if they are local ect.. x

My friend works for them and it is a free service, once you register with them they take over all you care and you have all your scans with them at their office. Not sure whether you would need to cancel the scan or it would happen automatically.
You then have a midwife allocated to you and they do your visits at home or in their office, if you chose to have a hospital birth your midwife would be with you but couldn't take care of your overall care as you are in a hospital.
Hope that helps x

Yeah that's great thanks. If everything goes to plan I'd quite like a home birth and I've heard they're very supportive of that x

They are very supportive of home births so you should get all the support you need and more from them.
I considered using them but have been under a consultant at my hospital for 4 years and have confidence in her so didn't want to lose her otherwise I would of gone 121 as well.
Good luck with it x

I am in West Sussex and I will look into this, sounds like a great idea! x

I am using one to one midwives (Essex based). Can't say enough how happy I am with the service. They are NHS funded which is why they're 'free' for us to use but work independently from the NHS. They promote home births and natural deliveries but support no matter what you choose to do. You will be assigned a midwife who stays with you until 6 weeks post birth and all appointments are in the comfort of your own home. My 12 and 20 week scans have been at a private clinic which was lovely too. There's really no down side! I simply registered my interest via their web page then was contacted by a midwife a few days later who then scheduled my first appointment.

Good luck whatever you decide x

I'm interested in this service but I don't think they do it down south! It sounds fantastic! I'd use it if I was up north xx

Thanks ladies, I've referred myself. After some research online they've got lots of good reviews. Excited now x

Apparently they can if you choose a hospital birth come and and act as an advocate its mostly the point of their service which is comtinuity.

We looked into a Doula first time round, may actually get one next time. We were thinking I could use the support with having Jackson already. Ill revisit the idea.

I think it sounds fab, esp if its free.

xxxx

I had one to one midwives in Warrington and they were amazing!
I wanted a hospital birth and they supported me in my decision but came to the house when I was in labour until it was time to go. I didn't have the midwife come with me as I had my mum and hubby. The after care was amazing, one evening I looked at my stitches (down below) for the first time and freaked out thinking they were infected and just all wrong- I phoned my midwife who came out to reassure me that everything was normal down there and put me at ease!
The one to one service really was amazing and they organise your scans and saw me at home.

My other friend had them too and ended up having an unplanned beautiful home birth! :)

Good luck in your pregnancies ladies. Xxx

Thanks, they sound very supportive which is exactly what I need! X

They are good. Also you usually get continuity of care like with indy midwives (see the same midwife throughout the pregnancy and she is most likely who will attend your birth rather than just whoever is on at the time)

As has been said, the NHS fund it as it costs the same whether you use One to One or the NHS (less in most cases as there's a lower likelihood of hospital delivery & C section with One to One)

They trialed it in my area (West Yorkshire) 2 years ago, but the local NHS/Maternity services got all huffy & funny about it (someone high up didn't like it) so they refused to keep funding it!
Personally from what I heard from people who used them during that time, the service was fab and put our local maternity services to shame. I can't help but think they worried that no one would birth NHS and that's why they stopped funding them.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
gzmndrea
Back