• Xenforo Cloud has scheduled an upgrade to XenForo version 2.2.16. This will take place on or shortly after the following date and time: Jul 05, 2024 at 05:00 PM (PT) There shouldn't be any downtime, as it's just a maintenance release. More info here

Ok so now Id like to end co-sleeping **UPDATED**

Tillytots

Reaction score
:dance: :dance: :dance: UPDATE

WE DID IT!!! The last 2 nights James has slept in his cot. :cheer: :cheer: :cheer:

The cot is still in my room but he he has actually liked sleeping in there!! This may sound funny but over the past 5days James seemed more confident in sleeping. He has always slept next to me, facing me and sometimes holding my hand :lol: but he started to turn away when I laid him down and so I took that as he didnt really need me next to him anymore. A few nights of that and I put him in his cot awake and he again turned over the other way and went to sleep. He has stirred no more than usual and Ive managed to eek out the time between his feeds so he is having one about 8pm and the next at around 6am which is heaven for me. Lets hope he keeps it up, he isnt coming back in my bed anyway :D

I have been co-sleeping with James since he was an ickle weeny bubba (about 1month old) its driving me insane now though. He just keeps me awake when he does sleep and kicks me awake in the morning. Ive put him in his cot and each time he has screamed the house down all night.

I get him to play in his cot in the day so he gets used to it and at night I lay him in there awake with his light thing that shines little bears on the celing which he likes. He then falls asleep in there but when he wakes up its a screaming NIGHTMARE he just wont settle at all after that, even when he comes back in my bed.

Is perseverance the key here or is there anything else I can do? He currently wont go to sleep until about 10-11pm and he wakes at 4am for a feed then 7am to get up if Im lucky. I often think why cant I have a baby who goes down at 7pm in his own cot and sleeps til 7am!! I feel like I have no time to myself and when he screams all night its so draining because there is no-one to help or take him for 5mins.

I wish Id had him in his own cot from day 1 :|

Could you put the cot right up next to your bed and take the side off so hes in his cot but next to you and wean him off like that :think:

Failing that i would probaly just go for it and have a weeks worth of hell.

If it makes you feel any better dd goes to bed at 10/11 although im trying to get her down at 9 now instead.

:hug: :hug: that does make me feel better hun thankoooo

The cot is right next to my bed with no side already :lol: he can see me and everything and its like he is sleeping in my bed but he is a stubborn little monkey

Hey chick!
Im in exactly the same situation as you, ive had Avie in my bed since she was 4 months old, and shes now 14 months, shes a horrific sleeper and i found it easier to settle her with her next to me! I sooo wish id of had her in her cot too,its a complete nightmare, she fidgets and now shes mobile i catch her during the night at the end of my bed putting her shoes on, or even her mittens on her feet :rotfl: If you find the solution please share, but sometimes i think its easier to put her in my own bed even if it means getting kicked, and having my hair pulled and her bottle tipped in my mouth haha :lol:

This may sound silly but you have been so much recently that maybe hes picked up on that as you needed him next to you as much as he needed you iykwim and he knows you will give in. Why would he want to sleep in his bed if he can be next to mummy all night?. I would just go for it if it was me let him know whos boss :lol:

saffydreamer said:
Hey chick!
Im in exactly the same situation as you, ive had Avie in my bed since she was 4 months old, and shes now 14 months, shes a horrific sleeper and i found it easier to settle her with her next to me! I sooo wish id of had her in her cot too,its a complete nightmare, she fidgets and now shes mobile i catch her during the night at the end of my bed putting her shoes on, or even her mittens on her feet :rotfl: If you find the solution please share, but sometimes i think its easier to put her in my own bed even if it means getting kicked, and having my hair pulled and her bottle tipped in my mouth haha :lol:

oh hun your post did make me giggle, esp mittens on her feet :lol: I promise to share the secrets of evicting a sleeping baby if I ever discover them. Co-sleeping seemed like such a good idea at the time and was thoroughly lovely up until now :lol:

:hug: :hug: I can't give you any advice, sorry honey, but I wanted to let you know that I am in exactly the same boat....and my OH is currently sleeping on a mattress on the floor too so that we have more room! :wall:

I am quite keen to hear any suggestions you get.

I am my own worst enemy though because I desperately don't want to do anything where I have to let her cry it out. :(

Bloom said:
This may sound silly but you have been so much recently that maybe hes picked up on that as you needed him next to you as much as he needed you iykwim and he knows you will give in. Why would he want to sleep in his bed if he can be next to mummy all night?. I would just go for it if it was me let him know whos boss :lol:

maybe :think: God my 6 month old is taking advantage :lol: If we have at least 5 night of 6hours sleep in a row I'll go for it and brace myself for some serious screaming. He is so stubborn, thats what puts me off. It may be a month of hell rather than a week :rotfl:

Happybunny said:
:hug: :hug: I can't give you any advice, sorry honey, but I wanted to let you know that I am in exactly the same boat....and my OH is currently sleeping on a mattress on the floor too so that we have more room! :wall:

I am quite keen to hear any suggestions you get.

I am my own worst enemy though because I desperately don't want to do anything where I have to let her cry it out. :(

:hug: :hug: :hug: :hug:

I think Im going to do an eviction diary (when I get a few nights sleep first) then you can see just how bad it really is. I hate the crying too & I look at his lovely little cot and wonder why he wouldnt want to sleep in there. I wonder what he'd do if he slept in my bed and I slept in the cot :think:

:D We dont call her Ava Della Diva for nothing :D
me and Mik are in seperate rooms and have been since she was 7 months old because he couldnt stand the fidgiting little Minxy, even though shes in my bed she still wakes up 2-3 times once for milk and the next two times i guess to put her shoes on :lol:
Wish id of started it before Ava could get mobile least id of stood a fighting chance! I have been to my hv who basicly said let her cry, i tried she threw up all in her cot so totally defeated the object, so i guess ill have to live with it xxxxxx
Good luck babes xxxxxx

Hmmmm :think: A number of things crossed my mind.

Have you tried moving his bedtime back a little bit every couple of nights over the course of a couple of weeks? So he gradually starts going to bed earlier and not when you go to bed. I started to cluster feed Galen in the late afternoon till his bedtime (this was before weaning btw) and it really made a difference to his sleeping through. Might then be worth giving James a bedtime feed when he goes down, popping him in his cot awake and then either waiting till he wakes and feeding him and settling him back or dreamfeeding him (if you can/want) at say 11pm?

I'd also be inclined to try moving the cot away from the bed rather than keeping it there. We moved Galen's away when he was around 5 months so as to not have the object permanance issues and its been fine. It may be James has now learnt you are right *there* and it will be therefore probably harder to resolve this but it can be done. I think it'll be time and patience.

I'd also stop using the cot as a place of play in the day and put him in there for any sleeps he has. Make it clear to him that cot = sleeptime, day or night. And move it away from your bed. He'll get used to you not being in the bed next to him during the day and hopefully he'll get the idea for night time also then. Also if you do this and he cries you need to set a precedent he will learn and stick with it. I'd go with not picking him up but going in, settling him down and then leaving the room again. Give it a few minutes of crying before going back in, and again, resist picking him up and keep going with soothing him (if he goes for it). I've tried various approaches when trying to settle babies and have also sat in the room with them while they go in the cot for a daytime nap. I didn't make eye contact or speak, just sat quietly till the baby settled (within 15 minutes) and then quietly left.

I don't know I"m not explaining it very well as am a bit tired myself. I'll have a think and see if I've done anything else for sleeping at night and daytime naps. I'm sure I have over the years but can't think of things right now. Drop me a PM if you want to chat a bit more about it and go into more detail :hug: :hug: :hug:

:wave: :wave: :wave: Another here in the same boat. I've only recently managed to get her bedtime moved from midnight to 11pm! I'll put her in her cot at bedtime, we have kick ups but she will sleep. But she'll sometimes only sleep for an hour before screaming for the bed. Sometimes i can get her back in there by rolling her on her belly and patting her bum and rubbing her back.

I'm just frustrated with her having more bed space and me and OH share half the bed.
By morning she's laid horizontal across the bed, so i either get kicked in the jaw or a finger up my nose!

thankyou for the advice Sherry :hug: Im going to tackle it tommorrow, we had 4hrs sleep last night aghhh :sleep:

omg u poor thing, I went thro that when Ava was really poorley, its so hard to function on so little sleep
:hug: :hug:

Ive been meaning to do this exact same post! Ive had Reg in with me since he was a few weeks old and it was easiest at the time but now i'd love a nights sleep without being stuck in one position not to wake him or with him wriggling about when he wakes! Im considering moving the cotbed next to ours and taking the side off :think: Did this not help at all?? I was figuring i could wait til he falls asleep and just move him over gently then instead of having to get up and move him. Plus when he wakes i'll still be at his side so can reach ver to let him know im there? He goes to bed when we do too and usually goes to sleep about 9-10pm til 5-6am sometimes with a feed in between. Hope we all find the solution :pray: xx

I am also in the same boat! Ruby is still waking 5 times a night although she is in the cot from about 7.30 til about 10 ish .One night she woke 15 times, and I honestly think its because she can smell milk, so decides to snack all night. we just need to go that next step but tbh im so tired dont know if I can do it. She has never slept through, hopefully soon though :pray: :pray:

Well i just went and re-arranged the room in a hope to move the cotbed and take the side down but it seemed like it just wont work being moved so i thought ok this is silly, i'll clear it out ready for him to sleep in where it is (opposite bed but longways not sideways) but i really dont think i can do it, i feel a nervous wreck just at the thought of trying... I should have been strong from the start, i just know i wont be able to get him to sleep in there on his own now or even be able to try :wall: xx

lisa&alex said:
buy one of these

http://www.amazon.co.uk/s/ref=nb_ss_w_h ... +baby+whis read it then attempt it.. i had a borrow of one of my friends and it was great this book has since gone around 4 more friends and all of our babies are sleepign through now! in their own cots :D

thanks hun, Il order one tommorrow!!

I am still sooooooo tired so havent attempted anymore good sleeping habits yet but we had another tooth appear today so thats what all the fuss has been about!!!! hopefully when the other one is through I can start trying again with good results and Il definately get the book, ANYTHING is worth a try xx

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
AnastasiaKh
Back