oh no...root canal!!!

jewel32

Reaction score
I've been having the worst toothache for 2 days. Went to see my dentist and it looks like I need a root canal :( He has prescribed some Tylenol 3 which is apparently okay to take during pregnancy - otherwise the pain is unbearable :cry: I swore I wouldn't take any medication during the pregnancy unless it was absolutely necessary...and well, it certainly is now - I just can't function without it. I'm nervous about the medication and root canal procedure - the possible harm to my baby girl.
Has anyone experienced anything similar? I guess I just need to know everything will be okay.

i don't know much about root canals but tylenol 3 is the american brand of co-codamol 30/500 (30mg codeine and 500mg paracetamol in each tablet).

The paracetamol is obviously fine in pregnnacy as is the codeine (even though he has given you the stronest strength) as long as it is a temporary thing not permanent (if you were needign to take it regularly for more than a week or so I would think about talkign to your dentist about trying to see if a weaker dose or just paracetamol alone would work for you.)

only thing to mention is that with this much codeine in each tablet you may get a bit dizzy or constipated as your body is not used to it and some people get quite sick on it.

:hug: :hug: I hope its better soon, sounds painful! Maybe check with your midwife if you're unsure of what has been prescribed for you

I had root canal done when I was living in France. I wasn't pregnant at the time so I can't give you advice about that. For the root canal, I advise taking an ipod (so you can hear something other than drilling) and closing your eyes (so you can't see the length of the drill bits). We agreed with the dentist that he would stop if I raised my hand. It isn't painful - you have anaesthetic and then they kill the nerve so there is no way to feel anything. But it feels scary because of the length of drills they use - think how far down your root goes! :hug: :hug: :hug: :hug: :hug: :hug: :hug: :hug:
I hope you feel better soon!

ive had 4 root canals! i have the worst genetics in the world for problems with my teeth. So i sympathise with having the procedure...its not particularly pleasant at the best of times. But rest assured they wouldnt give you medication that puts your baby at risk. :hug:

Thanks ladies :) It's actually been a hell of a week for me! I had a root canal done and my pain persisted - excruciating tooth pain! So I called my dentist on Saturday and he came out to see me for a second emergency root canal! It seems they got the wrong tooth!!

Yesterday I wasn't feeling well and went to the hospital...I was told that I have a nasty sinus infection that may have been causing all my tooth pain - so it turns out that the root canals may have been unecessary after all :x It's been horrible. I'm on antibiotics now for the infection and am recovering from the two root canals. I just hope my baby's okay.

Aw you sound like you have have a terrible time and i cant believe they got the wrong tooth then it turned out it could of all been avoided :shock:.

I hope you feel better soon and im sure your lo is just fine and has no idea whats been going on.
:hug: :hug: :hug: :hug: :hug: :hug: :hug: :hug: :hug: :hug:

OMG! Maybe it's time for a new dentist. I hope the pain goes away soon :hug: :hug:

I had root canal work during pregnancy and I can honestly say that I never found it to be all that bad. I think it sounds a lot worse than it actually is.

I was lucky though as I never noticed any pain before the treatment, and never felt a thing afterwards. The only thing I felt was a little sensitive now and again when having something cold but that went away within a week.

It will be worth while getting it done. You can do it........ :clap:

As for the painkillers, I don't know anything about them, but I am sure they will be ok. xxx

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
laurenl27
Back