Nuts

First Baby White

Reaction score
Hi All,

Just wanted to know everyones opinion on eating nuts whilst pregnant?

I am not a big nut lover anyone but do like museli, snickers and ferroro roche and was told by my midwife i was ok to eat them if there are no nut allergies within my family which there is not?

What do you all think?

I think that if there is a history of asthma, eczma and hayfever then you arent meant to eat peanuts. But other than that if there no nut allergy,then you are fine to eat other nuts!! thats what ive been told before. so ferrero rochers are fine.Which is good as I love those!!
xx

I think I read somewhere providing there isn't a history of allergies including excema, asthma or hayfever it's ok to eat nuts. I used to have all three although I've never had any allergic reaction to nuts so I am going to try and keep away from them as much as possibe.

Although now you've mentioned snickers bars, I really want one now :( :lol:

Edit - lisanat beat me to it! :D

As others have said :) Its Gov advice.

I'm asthmatic and I've been eating them in foods on and off. Not masses, but satay sauce, the odd Snickers or Picnic and so on. The Gov advice is not to eat them if allery suffering etc, but they are now reviewing this policy.

We are the only country in the EU (afaik and have read) that advises pregnant women to avoid eating peanuts etc during pregnancy. And since that became a Gov advised thing, peanut/nut allergy rates have soared here :think: Before that rates were far lower. Other places in Europe have no such avoidance policy and infact nuts are a large part of some nations diets and they have apparently low allergy rates compared to the UK.

Makes for interesting reading if you do some digging around. I did when I was in first tri and came to the conclusion that for me I was not going to *not* eat them but as and when I fancied something, then eat it. I don't think my child will be more at risk tbh, and in fact according to research and what has been recorded in other countries, it helps build up a tolerance to such foods. But please don't take that as advice, simply what I have read in many hours of trawling for documentation on it all.

I coudnt possibly survive without Ferrero Roche! M'mmmmmmm

I eat lots of peanut butter too and peanuts

xx

I have eczma and OH has asthma, but nothing severe, and I chose to eat nuts whilst pregnant with Isaac as I craved them like crazy, Crunchy Nut Cornflakes especially :lol: To date, Isaac is 100% healthy, I personally believe if you don't have nuts in your diet, that in itself could create later allergies, but that's my opinion, I'm not a scientist or food doc :?

I have asthma and ecema but can I eat nutella??

I agree with the others

x

Steelgoddess said:
I have asthma and ecema but can I eat nutella??

I agree with the others

x

It has nuts in it. Its your choice really, based on Gov and MW advice and what you have read.

I don't have eczema but do have asthma and eat Nutella. I've said balls to the Gov advice and am far from going overboard eating nuts often, but the occasional foodstuff with nuts in I'm going for. Like someone else said, I believe it can help immunity in a child not lessen it.

I'm lucky that there are no allergies in my family, but I agree with Red - I've read that eliminating nuts COULD cause low resistance and therefore allergies. Still, maybe best avoided in certain people.

I'm loving peanut butter at the moment!

Nutella is hazelnuts so you'll be fine. Im sure a little bit of what you fancy wont hurt.
xx

I used to have heyfever and excema and family has asthma and I ate peanuts last pregnancy and so far Nathan is fine :) had things with peanuts in this time aswell.

Someone I know never ate peanuts at all during her pregnancy and now at 5 years old her kid has an allergy to peanuts.

Sherlock said:
As others have said :) Its Gov advice.

I'm asthmatic and I've been eating them in foods on and off. Not masses, but satay sauce, the odd Snickers or Picnic and so on. The Gov advice is not to eat them if allery suffering etc, but they are now reviewing this policy.

We are the only country in the EU (afaik and have read) that advises pregnant women to avoid eating peanuts etc during pregnancy. And since that became a Gov advised thing, peanut/nut allergy rates have soared here :think: Before that rates were far lower. Other places in Europe have no such avoidance policy and infact nuts are a large part of some nations diets and they have apparently low allergy rates compared to the UK.

Makes for interesting reading if you do some digging around. I did when I was in first tri and came to the conclusion that for me I was not going to *not* eat them but as and when I fancied something, then eat it. I don't think my child will be more at risk tbh, and in fact according to research and what has been recorded in other countries, it helps build up a tolerance to such foods. But please don't take that as advice, simply what I have read in many hours of trawling for documentation on it all.

This is true.... I live in Spain and my mw has never told me to avoid nuts..

I ate nuts through my pregnancy with Tia, and me, my mum and my dad all have/have had asthma.. (my mum and me grew out of it, although we still get very bad hayfever). Tia is one of the healthiest kids I know, she rarely gets ill and the only thing she has is dermatitis and recurring athletes foot, which are caused by moisture rather than allergy.

I've eaten nuts through this pregnancy too... including peanuts.

Most countries don't prevent you from eating peanuts, and a lot of them use peanuts in their weaning foods, yet the countries such as the UK and USA who say don't eat them, have the highest rates of allergies in the world... makes you wonder why that is...

personally I think its the same as all the cleaning and sterilising. If your immune system doesn't get exposed to bacteria and allergens gently over a period of time , then when it finally meets them it will go into overdrive and start attacking itself, which creates autoimmune diseases, severe allergic reactions, and allergies.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
laurenl27
Back