Nutrition, Vitamin D, Coffee and Betacaratine

Bambi42

Reaction score
Hi girls,

Sharing in case this helps anyone else. Doing my best to explain this so hope the terminology is right.

So I paid for a 1 hour Skype call with a Zita West nutritionist yesterday and it was very interesting. I want to balance my hormones and stop this spotting in the luteal phase. Before the call I filled out a detailed questionnaire and explained about the spotting issue I have and my TTC journey. Obviously everyone is different and will need different supplements etc but here are some things I learned that I didn't know that might help other people in the nightmare that is LTTC.

Vitamin D
I was taking 25ug a day and the nutritionist wants me to take 4 x that amount because there's not enough sunshine in the UK. She also wants me to take more Magnesium, I'm not sure how much but she's sending all that info on Monday....this relates directly to my spotting issue so not for everyone.

Male consumption of Caffeine and Miscarriage Link
I've now had three chemical pregnancies. I always assumed this was because I'm over 40 but there is research that links recurrent miscarriage with male coffee consumption. I don't drink coffee but my other half drinks way too much, so in case this is a factor for us he's going to cut right back.
Here are two studies I found on it.
https://www.nih.gov/news-events/new...-caffeine-consumption-linked-miscarriage-risk
https://www.telegraph.co.uk/men/act...oo-much-coffee-damages-fertility-for-men.html

Betacaratine
The corpeous luteum releases progesterone after ovulation. Corpeous luteum translates as yellow matter....and has betacaratine in it.
Betacaratine (Vit A) is found in yellow and orange vegetables - butternut squash, peppers, carrots, chickpeas etc.
I'm going to eat hundreds of this to try and balance my hormones, increase progesterone and stop the spotting.

Protein
The nutritionist didn't think I eat enough protein. She said I should be eating protein every 4 hours, so some with breakfast, lunch, an afternoon snack and then dinner. I had been making vegetable soup and having that for lunch thinking it was a healthy thing but there's not enough protein in it so I've now to add watercress or green leafy veg to my soup. And have a piece of salmon, or oatcakes and cheese, or a slice of chicken with it too. (Lidl does 2 x pieces of cooked salmon with lemon or chilli topping that's not expensive and really tasty.)

Peas
Peas contain something called m-xylohydroquinone, which is a natural chemical that used to be used as a contraceptive! An unreliable contraceptive as it only worked some of the time but as I eat three portions of peas a week I'm going to cut that out too.

TEA
I drink loads of tea. I switched to de-caf but that's not good for your kidneys. So the nutritionist suggested that Redbush and TikTok tea are high in anti-oxidants and if I'm going to keep drinking tea those are the better brands to use.

I know its a total minefield and I thought I was doing everything right - apart from the sweet tooth which I'm now going to ditch because I'm running out of time. For me this call was worth the money - £130- and she was very honest and said it doesn't guarantee I'm going to get pregnant, but changing my diet will help balance my hormones and that can only be a good thing. It was a relief to be listened to after the crap time I've had with the GPs. The spotting issue for me only started after my first chemical, it got worse after the 2nd and 3rd (the gynecologist couldn't find a polyp or anything like that) so its definitely hormonal. She also said that TTC is a jigsaw puzzle and changing some of the pieces (diet / cutting back coffee) are things to try, not guaranteed solutions.

MENU PLAN
She also asked about the supplements I take and suggested different doses, and I'm going to be sent a 30 page booklet that has menu plans and explains what to eat and why.
So I found this a really positive experience and she didn't try and sell me anything. She listened, she asked lots of questions, it felt like it was being customised for me, rather than one size fits all. And she also said it's impossible to be good all the time so instead of cutting out biscuits all together just have one on a Wednesday and one on a Friday. I think I can do that.

I really hope this helps someone else. I'm going to type the words Spotting in the Luteal Phase and Balancing Hormones / Low Progesterone again in the hope that another woman googles that and comes across this article. In my heart I've always believed that we'll get there on our own. I won't pay for another round of IVF and whilst £130 is a chunk of money I did find talking to this nutritionist really worthwhile.

Sending everyone else who is still here and pulling their hair out a great big hug. I'm feeling really hopeful that sticking to this nutrition advice will stop the spotting and give us a better chance of conceiving again naturally.

Bambi x

Last edited:
Thank you so much for sharing. I spot before af for days so I’m going to try some of these myself xxx

Thank you so much for sharing. I spot before af for days so I’m going to try some of these myself xxx
You’re welcome Liz, hope it helps. I’ve got a bag of carrots and 2 butternut squash to turn into soup.

I took 4 Vit D tablets yesterday on an empty stomach & felt a bit pukey but it was fine after I ate something!

My understanding is it’s ok to spot 2-3 days before auntie Flo but I now have it from as early as day 17 and it drives me nuts. Xx

My spotting changes from month to month it is so annoying. One month it’ll be as much as 9 days the next it could be 2 days.

I'm just about to ovulate so it will be interesting to see if I spot again this month. Although it might take a few months for this change of diet to make a difference to my progesterone levels? Who knows.

So far I feel brilliant. Eating more protein means I’ve not been hungry between meals so no naughty snacks so much less sugar. TMI but I’ve being going to the loo twice a day and my tummy is much flatter with no bloating which makes me feel better in my clothes. Good digestion is important for getting preggers.

I’ve been having butternut squash & carrot soup (yellow & orange veg for progesterone boost) and adding chickpeas to increase the protein. I can’t believe I’m not craving sugar because I love a chocolate bar and there’s always cakes & treats in our office. I think in a week or so I won’t need to refer to the recipes, it’s getting easier to remember what I need to eat & the quantities. X

Thank you for sharing this Bambi. I’m terrible for snacking, glad the hunger is at bay. Hope these changes fixes your spotting

Thank you for sharing this Bambi. I’m terrible for snacking, glad the hunger is at bay. Hope these changes fixes your spotting
Thank you. I’ve been having half a tumbler of beetroot juice (it’s ok, something to do with blood flow) and half a glass of pomegranate juice too (gross & expensive at £5 a bottle). I feel like a health freak. Can’t believe I’ve not had any chocolate or biscuits - don’t recognise myself

An update for anyone else with the spotting issue. I’m day 25 of my cycle now and so far .... only a tiny bit of spotting day 23. I am so happy that something has finally worked. Scared to tempt fate but last few months spotting started day 17 right to day 30 so it’s huge progress.

I’ve been strict on eating loads of protein and veg. I’m amazed I’m not orange with all the orange & yellow veg I’m eating. Had no sugary treats and only one cup of tea a day.

I couldn’t tell you if it’s the diet or taking higher dose Vit D & Magnesium, or a combination but it’s working and it’s such a relief not to be bleeding when I’m not meant to be. No panty liners or bloating or feeling moody. I’ve had a really stressful few weeks at work and I’ve still not spotted. Here’s hoping I make it to day 30! I hope in future someone finds this thread and it helps them. I was really getting very down about it after a year of getting no answers.
Big cuddles to all the other long termers xx

thank you for sharing, very informative

An update for anyone else with the spotting issue. I’m day 25 of my cycle now and so far .... only a tiny bit of spotting day 23. I am so happy that something has finally worked. Scared to tempt fate but last few months spotting started day 17 right to day 30 so it’s huge progress.

I’ve been strict on eating loads of protein and veg. I’m amazed I’m not orange with all the orange & yellow veg I’m eating. Had no sugary treats and only one cup of tea a day.

I couldn’t tell you if it’s the diet or taking higher dose Vit D & Magnesium, or a combination but it’s working and it’s such a relief not to be bleeding when I’m not meant to be. No panty liners or bloating or feeling moody. I’ve had a really stressful few weeks at work and I’ve still not spotted. Here’s hoping I make it to day 30! I hope in future someone finds this thread and it helps them. I was really getting very down about it after a year of getting no answers.
Big cuddles to all the other long termers xx

Thank you for sharing this bit of information about dieting to stop spotting Bambi! I'm sure it will prove helpful to some ladies here in this thread. I also had some spotting as a pregnancy symptom but nothing too problematic like what you had. How are you on our TTC journey? Are you doing IVF or are you naturally trying to conceive?

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
laurenl27
Back