Nuchal Fold Test

timsmom

Reaction score
How many people are getting this as standard?

I'm 36 and will be 37 by the time bubba arrives. In our area, you don't get a nuchal fold scan unless your first combined blood test and dating scan, done at between 10.3 and 12 .2 weeks, comes back with a marker which suggests you are high risk. I'd like to have one done anyway. Can you pay? It would just put my mind at rest even though I know the scan only picks up about 85% of cases of Downs. Pregnancy is a worrying enough time especially with my history and the more worry I can remove, the better for me and baby.

Hi Timsmom

I found out yesterday that my hospital has just started doing this test as standard at the 12 week scan, so I will get this done when I go in a couple of weeks. we did have a choice beforehand of paying for it but we would have to go to Harley Street to have it done.

Have you discussed with your midwife, I may be wrong but I thought if you were over 35 they NHS have to pay for this to be done if you want it as you are classed as higher risk (sorry to put it like that). They should be able to refer you to your nearest hosptial that has the equipment to carry this out. As I said I may be wrong so I would ring your midwife and check.

I have heard people talk about the fold test before. What is it?

Its a scan which measure the thickness of the nuchal fold, a space at the base of the skull I think?. In Downs babies, this often measures thicker. Lots of hospitals also check for the prescence of a nasal bone which is another marker for Downs.

Hi

I understand you can get it done privately for £180 but may be that is just Oxfordshire.

Mx

I don't know if this helps but we're the same age - I'll be 37 by the time baby comes too. I got the NFT test as part of my dating scan today and the results came back very good.

I wasn't too worried about it, partly because I know a couple of Down's children who are very happy and partly because the risk at our age is still much less than 100 to 1, not that great really.

I'm not sure if that helps but at least you know there's a couple of us at 36+ around.

I'm getting one at 12 weeks, i have to pay £180, there's a clinic in Birmingham / cardiff and probably loads others. I'm 32 but want it for peace of mind :D

I think Nuffield is a private hospital:

http://www.nuffieldhospitals.org.uk/az_ ... 665&hid=42

This might do you too. It doesn't mention NFT but DOES say it contains a battery of tests and as NFT is common I think it may be worth finding out.
Dating & Viability Scan

Timescale: 9 - 14 weeks
Purpose: To confirm viability of the pregnancy, determine the number of babies and estimate gestation age of foetus.
What to expect: A comprehensive range of foetal assessments. NO SEXING.
Cost: £95
This package includes:
http://www.babyultrasoundcompany.co.uk/pack.html

Its a scan which measure the thickness of the nuchal fold, a space at the base of the skull I think?. In Downs babies, this often measures thicker. Lots of hospitals also check for the prescence of a nasal bone which is another marker for Downs.

Hi

I understand you can get it done privately for £180 but may be that is just Oxfordshire.

Mx

I don't know if this helps but we're the same age - I'll be 37 by the time baby comes too. I got the NFT test as part of my dating scan today and the results came back very good.

I wasn't too worried about it, partly because I know a couple of Down's children who are very happy and partly because the risk at our age is still much less than 100 to 1, not that great really.

I'm not sure if that helps but at least you know there's a couple of us at 36+ around.

I'm getting one at 12 weeks, i have to pay £180, there's a clinic in Birmingham / cardiff and probably loads others. I'm 32 but want it for peace of mind :D

I think Nuffield is a private hospital:

http://www.nuffieldhospitals.org.uk/az_ ... 665&hid=42

This might do you too. It doesn't mention NFT but DOES say it contains a battery of tests and as NFT is common I think it may be worth finding out.
Dating & Viability Scan

Timescale: 9 - 14 weeks
Purpose: To confirm viability of the pregnancy, determine the number of babies and estimate gestation age of foetus.
What to expect: A comprehensive range of foetal assessments. NO SEXING.
Cost: £95
This package includes:
http://www.babyultrasoundcompany.co.uk/pack.html

I asked this question too clicky

I might ask my MW what hospitals near here offer it as standard and "pretend" for a few weeks that I have chosen to have my baby there ;)

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nicola111
Back