Not drinking so much

Damien is weaned now and is on 3 meals a day, but he won't take much of his milk. I know it's hot but he was like this before the weather got hot. I know they are supposed to have 18oz's minimum a day still til they reach 12 months. When should I worry? He drink juice and happily eats his food. Tried cutting out meals to make him drink milk but doesn't work.

I wouldnt worry too much, if you have done all you can to get him to drink it and he wont then what else can you do? They dont half worry us do they.

I wouldn't worrie hun, Kacy is the same as long as he is getting his meals he will be fine just offer him his milk and when he wants it he will drink it, its like kacy was due a bottle at 10.30 but she only had a once at 12 thats all she wanted and most likley wouldn't have her bottle this afternoon,

Sami Abi is the same hun as long as he's getting plenty of fluid he will be fine, my friends little girl stopped taking milk altogether at 6 months

Hi

Isaac went right off his milk but the last 2 days (might be due to the weather) he has been drinking all his bottles and is right off his solids! I see it as one or the other is great, both is excellent, neither is when I will worry!

Lou :)

Well the hot weather has shunned its face and my little tyrant is still barely drinking anything. I can barely get any fluid into him, let alone the minimum of 18oz of milk he should still be having. He hasn't put on any weight last week, gonna get it checked again tuesday, but am getting a little concerned. That with his clingness and being just generally wierd I'm not sure what to do with him. You know what I'm like for worrying about him :( he will take some solids but pretty much only fruit pots. he screams if i try to force milk, juice, water, or veggies/jars/packet food of any kind most of the time. I can only get about 3 bowels of anything into him.

Hi

There are ways you can get fluid into him without it being "liquid" so to speak. With Isaac I have his packet breakfast cereal which has to be mixed with water or his baby milk then I have packet savoury meals which are also mixed with water and also at night he has whatever milk he leaves in his bottle mixed with baby rice so he still has his milk, he just doesn't realise it!

I think its always best though to consult your HV when you are worried. I know we all go on about how they talk rubbish and make us worry but for things like weight gain and not feeding or drinking then I would definately take their advice or at least ask for it then make up my own mind about what to do.

Lou :)

Hi Sami, I had the same problem with Kaiden the other week, even when i gave him milk before food he was refusing it, I eventually had to give him some of that dried cereal you get from Heinz, mix it with his milk for breakfast, and I mixed a little cooled milk through his yoghurt for lunch time and in the evening he had mash potatoes with his own baby milk through it ,all in all it was a sneaky way to put about 10oz into him and he took two bottles one in the morning and the evening so he was taking about 24oz in total. The refusal of milk thing only lasted about 7 days now hes drinking like a fish, maybe due to the heat, just try and make sure your baby is having plenty of water as slight dedydration can result in loss of appetite, hope things are better soon XkelX

See the problem I have with Damien is his milk is thickened and I cannot mix it with food. HV says he needs the 18oz minimum free fuids because he vomits so much throughout the day. Thank you for your ideas though :)

I've been witholding all solids today and only letting him drink milk in the hope he will drink more, but it's 4:30pm now and he has still only had about 10oz's and won't drink anymore. :wall:

HV reckons he needs to see GP as his urine is less frequent and very strong smelling :? Might be an underlying problem which could explain the clingyness too.

hey Sami - Naomi's the same, I think it depends on how hungry she is. She'll go through a full tub of fruit - which probably has a fair amount of fluid in it too, and then have between 3 and 5 ounces of milk. She used to floor a ten ounce bottle at first but my SIL (of the vast experience having had 5) tells me as long as she's getting the solids and I offer her the fluids she'll be fine.

I also offer juice between her two afternoon feeds, particularly on hot days. She usually drinks the lot.

Hope that helps!

Sue

Hi

Oh hun let us know what they say i hope all is well with him.
xx Katrina

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nicola111
Back