No Poop 3 days Breastfed Baby

JensBump

Reaction score
Hi I am writing this for my SIL - her little one is just over a week old, is breastfed and is onto her 3rd day without pooping - she has been to the hospital and the doctors are talking about admitting her - has anyone any advice or experience of this? Is it normal to go so long without pooping?

My LO is breastfed and sometimes has gone almost a week without pooing. It is fairly normal. I think as long as LO is producing lots of wet nappies then it's ok. Usually just when i start to worry Oscar does a massive poo lol I think any longer than 7 days I'd speak to GP.

He still does it now, even though he's having food now as well as breast milk!

Sometimes a teaspoon of cool boiled water can help get things moving, but as your SILs LO is only a week old I'd be wary of giving water, but some ppl might be ok with it, as long as it literally is only a sip of it.

xxxxxxx

It's normal to go up to 10 days without pooing when bf! What are the hospital thinking of x

The hospital should know better, talk about worrying a new mum! Amyjayne is right, breast fed babies can go up to 10 days with no poo! Cahal went just over a week after he passed his meconium, but when he went, it was like a proper poonami, endless!

The hospital should know better, talk about worrying a new mum! Amyjayne is right, breast fed babies can go up to 10 days with no poo! Cahal went just over a week after he passed his meconium, but when he went, it was like a proper poonami, endless!

Poonami I love this :rofl:

Thanks for the replies ladies - I have passed it onto my SIL to put her mind at rest - I thought the hospital were worrying her over nothing as there have been plenty of wet nappies :)

I agree with the ladies - My midwifes told me the same - mine would go sometimes daily and then over a week without any! they are more regular now as we are on solids too, but don't worry, as long as there are plenty of wet nappies like you have said all sounds good. It's the runnyness of BF baby nappies that surprized me -- ergh

I almost posted about this yesterday as Owen had not been for 2 days and I was worried. We had lift off yesterday evening though and it was horrific! Me and OH were both gagging and the stuff was literally everywhere. How could something so cute and small produce something so repulsive and huge. Definetly a poonami. I dread to think what I will do if he does another one of those when I am on my own with him.

Anyway, it is apparently completely normal and unless the poos when they come are hard there is no need to give water or anything else.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nicola111
Back