No milk....

charlotteheys85

Reaction score
I have only been bobbie feeding for 1week..

my boobs were swollen at first (to be expected) but now there bk to there normal size and dont leak, and when i tried expressing a little, no milk would come out, also LO doesnt seem as happy as few days ago, more restless as if hes not gettin enough milk?

is it common for your boobs to do this, i'm worried i'm not going to be able to carry on boobie feeding :wall: xx

Don't judge how much milk you're producing based on how much you can express! There are many women who feed their babies successfully but struggle to express more than an ounce or two. Expressing is a strange thing and for some people just doesn't work.

It's still early days so you should expect your LO to be feeding A LOT at the moment in order to get your supply sorted, plus remember he only has a tiny tummy so can't fit a lot in there in one go.

If he's giving plenty of wet/dirty nappies and is sleeping then he's getting enough milk.

As becky says, baby will be wanting to feed alot in the beginning so make sure you put him to the boob whenever he wants and you should be fine. Can i ask why you were trying to express? cos they do say not to do it until your milk supply is fully established which can take a few weeks. I had to express fairly early on because my little princess didn't seem to get the idea that she had to feed so my supply dwindled but it took ages to get even a bit out- manual pump didn't do anthing.
as long as nappies are wet you should be fine- put a bit of tissue in his nappy to check this.

Wind could make your LO unsettled.. is he crying alot, going red, pulling his legs up? Cooper lived on my shoulder them early weeks. Infacol is good if it is wind. Re your boobs it all sounds normal your body will be getting used to how much baby wants hence no engorement plus baby will be feeding so regular that they don't get chance to get engorged! Expressing is no way of showing how much milk you make as a baby is so much better at getting it out. Sure there is no probelm with your supply but i eat porridge every morning as oats i find help. :hug: :hug: xxx

I feed a 10kg baby (thats about 21lbs) and she feeds around 8 times a day... long feeds too where I can hear her gulping milk down, yet if I express the maximum amount I can get in one sitting is around 3oz... And I am pretty sure she's drinking more than that :lol: ... I can't express... Its a skill I have never been able to perfect but I have exclusively fed lil miss booby milk until she was 7 months (she has cows milk on her cereal now :) )

I very rarely had big full boobs, unless lil miss had missed a feed. I never sprayed everywhere when I had a let down, and it was never strong.

Babies grow more in the first few weeks of their lives than at any other time in their lives, so they need lots and lots of milk to do it. Subsequently they feed like gannets in the first few weeks. But its normal... totally normal. Even formula fed babies go through a stage where their mothers make up bottles that are insufficient amounts for their needs during a growth cycle and after a few days of them draining a certain amount they have to make bigger bottles... its the same with your boobies... except your LO is telling your boobies to make more for him :) If he cries and you pick him up and put him to the boob he is getting exactly what he wants and needs.

And you can always tell if your LO is getting enough... exclusively bf'd babies should be producing 2/4 poopy nappies a day and 6 wet ones (obviously sometimes they poop and pee at the same time)...if this is so then he will be getting enough. :D

thanks for replys girls..

i didnt mean i express milk (sorry i wrote it wrong)

i just mean i manually did it on my boob to see if milk would come out.. and it would't, and i put him to my oobs and he latched but i couldnt here him swallow, which i normally could, was worried he wasnt gettin any milk, hes been awake more last few days, and thats when my boobs have had the feeling of being empty..

i am possibly over reacting, (my m/w if weighing him today) and i'm just really worried i havent fed him what he needs :'( xx

Good luck for the weigh in. I remember not hearing the gulping that I do now, so I don't think that should cause you concern, oh and also, your LO will be starting to wake a bit more, I remember that too. I thought she'd always wake-feed-sleep, I was wrong.

I posted excatly the same.. i couldn't hear him swallowing. What i didn't realise at the time there was different flows.. at first your flow will be fast and LO will gulp milk down thats the thirst quenching bit then they have to work to get the milk that fills them up so they don't swallow as much as the flow has slowed right down. Theres always milk there IYKWIM? Good luck at weigh in don't worry if LO has lost or stayed the same as that happens with some BF babies. Let us know how it goes :hug: Also with the hand expressing.. have you been shown how to do it? The only reason i ask cos sometimes now i do it wrong and can't get a drop. Ask your MW. xx

thank you for replies girls..

hes more alert and awake after a feed then before..

hes feeding more, i think he just loves the boob.. hehe xx

You sound more postive.. take it from your other post MW been..so how much he weigh??

she didnt weigh him today? she said they will at 10days, but she said he looks really well and said i shud be very proud, made me nearly cry..

i'm only 20 and thought pple wud look down on me, and i think i may have shocked the middys on how much i'm tryin, and asking lots of questions xx

Good for you hun :hug: it always helps when someone says we're doing a good job :D xxx

Good for you, stick at it. I'm two weeks in and have had all sorts of issues BFing but it just makes you more determined doesn't it :D

Px

1588 said:
Good for you, stick at it. I'm two weeks in and have had all sorts of issues BFing but it just makes you more determined doesn't it :D

Px

yeh difinatly.. everytime he latches on properly, i'm like "good boy" hehe..

i cant sit up right because of stiches, so everything is that lil bit more harder.. but i'm determined to carry on, i've had a few days sat there cryin thinking shud i give in, but then OH keeps telling me how well i'm doing, and it makes me want to try even more..

and this forum too, its so supportive xx

Sounds like you've had your initial questions answered but well done you on the BF, sounds like your doing a brilliant job :clap:

just to update

he was 7lbs 8.5oz when born..

re weighed on Sunday 9th and was 7lbs 1oz (dipped after birth, normal apparently)

now weighed again today day 10.. 7lbs 7.5oz..

she said thats ok.. she seemed happy..

so he put on 6.5oz in 2days :dance: xx

i feel like i'm doing somethin right, i was so unsure.. :?

hes still oz under birth weight, but hopefully as hes gettin more greedy he'll be fine at nxt weigh in (friday) xx

thanks for support girlies xx

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nicola111
Back