Breast milk question

christmasbabygirl

Reaction score
I breastfed Amelia for 5 days and gave up as i was up all night feeding, and after a long latent labour and 5 days of no sleep from it, i couldnt cope with being up all night feeding as she was on the breast ALL the time. so we are now on formula.

Well my milk came in on day 2! very quickly as she was feeding alot. i stopped on day 5 and she is now 3 weeks and 2 days old and they have not dried up. they are not full or swollen but there is still quite a bit of milk in them, but i dont think there is THAT much.

Do you think it is worth putting her to the breast to see if she takes it as it is juts getting wasted and doesnt seem to be drying up? im not sure if its worth it as there is not enough milk for a whole feed? thanks in advanced ladies.

Also is it normal for them to still have milk in?? xx

It takes a while for it to dry up and I've read it never completley goes. My boobs leaked till about 8 weeks or so.

You'd need to build up a supply for her to get enough now, you could put her on and she'd probably have a go but I doubt you'd get enough straight away to feed her.

I tried to do it when Molly was about 4 weeks. She latched on fine and went at it for a while when I put her to the breast and I was expressing every 2 hours but after a couple of days I couldn't do it anymore, too much to do with a new baby to look after.

You mightn't have enough for a full feed but there is no harm in seeing what happens! xx

relactation is perfectly doable. You will have to top up with formula but the more time at the boob the more milk she will get :)

well i just gave it a go and she latched on perfectly and i really enjoyed feeding her. I just wish i had more milk to give her :( its really difficult as i dont know how much is actually in them so dont know how much she is getting. i dont think she had much at all as she kept falling asleep at the boob so was not really sucking much. i wish i didnt give up so quickly now! :cry:

i dont know much about relactation, BUT if she is latching and taking milk, and you want to start again, then put her to the breast as much as possible :)

you'll soon build up your supply no problem

ok i sound really thick but if she is latching and sucking then falling asleep at boob how do i know she is getting milk as i cant look for that "full" look as its not going to fill her up if you know what i mean?

There's some great info here: http://www.kellymom.com/bf/supply/relactation.html

If you do decide that you want to try relactation I would suggest feeding often (every couple of hours) and also pump inbetween when you get the chance. Spend lots of time skin to skin, get in bed with some DVD's and spend some time there so u get lots of skin to skin.

You will need to continue topping up with formula until your supply increases but if all goes well you should be able to gradually reduce the formula that your giving as your milk increases, try not to worry about how much she is getting at the moment and just keep feeding at the breast then top up with formula. There are also herbal supplements that you can take to increase your milk, one is Fenugreek. Eating plenty of oats and drinking lots of water will help too.

Good luck chick, It wont be easy to relactate but it definately possible!! Keep us informed :D xxx

ok well im going to give it a go i forgot how great it felt to BF her. she has emptied what little milk i had from both breasts and is asleep but im expecting her to wake hungry soon and will top her up. i hate using the pump so think ill try hand expressing as its more comfortable.

thanks for all the advice HC :hug:

when she wakes, put her to the breast again first, then top up with bottle. even if she doesn't get milk, it will stimulate your boobs :)

hi was wondering how you are doing as I have just started to relactate and thought I might give it a go I've only had a few drops but with stimultaion might come along but my problem is I've never breastfed and B has never latched

Hi Im relactating too i have been told put her to the breast each side with each feed. If she cries for more after 25 mins on each side top up. If she sleep t her down til she wakes for more. If sleeping 3 or more hours pump in between but not at night as tiredness decreases supply. Good luck ive been doing it 5 days and just had my first 2 feeds that didnt need topping up. I was expressing while she wasnt feeding from me for 3 weeks . It is possible and you can pm me if you want :)

good luck girls with your relactaction!! major congrats on trying again and I hope you enjoy it! the beginning will be really hard, rebuilding up the suppy, but remember in the end it really will be worth it :D

My supply is increasing yay! Just pumped and am getting double what i was a few days ago yay!

Hi sorry iv not replied!
really good to see its working for u chealsea, keep at it!
if im honest i havnt been doing it, had alot going on really and uv been shattered and maybe even a little depressed.
but i still have some milk so im geussing its still possible?

chelsea said : if she cries for more after 25 mins on each side top up.
do u mean top up with formula? x

Or expressed if you have some in a bottle. :)

if you have milk there i dont see why its not still possible to try. :) good luck

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nicola111
Back