Night squirming

SugaryIris

Reaction score
Hi ladies,

I’m wondering if someone can help.

at around 4am every night my 4 week old starts majorly squirming in his crib and wakes himself up and then I can resettle because he is so squirmy. Initially I thought it was gas, but he doesn’t get like this in the day and doesn’t seem uncomfortable although I do always try bicycle kicks just in case, it’s only at this one time of night, he is fine after all his day feeds etc and he will stop after a few hours.

do you know what is causing it? He was such a good sleeper and he still would be if this wasn’t waking him as he does try to sleep through it.

My daughter would do that when she was too hot or too cold. So maybe one of them? Swaddling is a good suggestion too, newborns don’t have much control over their movements.

Also at 4-5wks he’ll be starting his first leap, which makes them sleep worse. The squirming could actually have nothing to do with why he’s waking, it just might be that when he’s in light sleep mode/about to wake up, he squirms!

Yeh I tried swaddling and it helped for a little bit but he eventually wriggled out of it.

it is definitely like he stays in the light sleep mode... at the risk of sounding like a complete moron what is a leap?

You can get swaddles that are like a little bag you zip them into so they cant wriggle free! I was wondering about trying them myself. Another one for the list!

We used Love to Dream and Gro company swaddles. They can’t escape, lol.

A leap is a period of rapid mental growth. Like a growth spurt for the brain. It makes most babies sleep a bit worse and be a bit more hungry/grizzly/needy. The Wonder Weeks book/app can tell you when to expect them x

My LO starts to wiggle when she's cold or hot I think, or she just wants to be near me. I usually hear her moving, give her the boob and she falls back to sleep next to me.x

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
laurenl27
Back