• Xenforo Cloud has scheduled an upgrade to XenForo version 2.2.16. This will take place on or shortly after the following date and time: Jul 05, 2024 at 05:00 PM (PT) There shouldn't be any downtime, as it's just a maintenance release. More info here

Newbie to this area of the forum

Jacq23

Reaction score
Hiya girls,

A few of you will have seen me hanging around in 'Am I pregnant?' but it seems that was not quite the place for me. Here's my situation:

34 years old, one son who is 2 1/2, came off the pill in May and been trying ever since. However, I had a withdrawal bleed then a light bleed 5 weeks later, then nothing for 12 weeks and now almost another 12 weeks with nothing. I was diagnosed with PCOS years ago but my son was conceived surprisingly quickly. I had been using OPKs which had given me a few strong positives which was clearly nonsense. I went for blood tests and a scan in October which showed I am not ovulating but that all is fine 'down there'. One interesting thing that did come up at the scan was that the sonographer referred to my ovaries as 'multi-cycstic' rather than polycystic. When I asked the consultant about this at my appointment yesterday she said that typical PCOS shows a 'string of pearls' of cysts but mine don't seem to be in that typical formation. Just a bit more random I guess and the thing is I don't show the typical signs of PCOS as in no extra hair growth or obesity. So I am in some clinical 'grey area' of possibly not PCOS but cysts are evident and are causing issues with fertility.

Anyway, I went for my follow-up appointment at the hospital yesterday and expecting to have a fight on my hands as I have been fobbed off so many times and told to go away and wait for my periods to return. But was pleasantly surprised to be walking out of the door with a prescription for Clomid (what I hoped to get as I know this is the next step for me). So I assumed yesterday was Day 1 of my non-existent cycle, and today is Day 2 which meant I started the Clomid today. I feel bloated and have had to pee so many times it's like I am pregnant again.

I'm interested to find out anyone's experiences of Clomid and the successes (I am trying to be hopeful!). I have two months of pills at 100mg doses and then have to go to my GP to get another two months at 150mg doses. After those 4 months I then return to the hospital for a review and potentially two more months of the same or higher dose maybe? I'm not sure as I am so new to this.

Fingers crossed I won't have to stay on this too long.

Hi jacq, I'm not on clomid but just wanted to say welcome to our section, hope you're not around here too long :) x

Hi and welcome

I've had a chat with a friend who is a doctor and works in gynae tonight after I was told my ovaries were polycystic. She says there's two things. There's polycycstic ovaries and there's polycystic ovary syndrome. the first is not really a problem but the second is where it is a problem. I'm the same as you - no weight problem, no hair, irregular periods but probably ovulating so she thinks i just have polycystic ovaries rather than the syndrome

actually trying to write it out maybe I need a better explanation as I'm not getting it out very well...

Hey, welcome! Im on my second cycle of clomid as Ive not ovulated since Feb. Not got pcos though. Brought on by a mc. It did make me feel bloated come to think of it this month . I started on 50mg but unfortunately that didnt work. On my second month and I had it upped to 100mg. I had to go for a day 12 scan to check if my follicles were growing. I had one measuring 11.5 but they should be 17 and above but Im not loosing hope yet as they can grow at 2mm a day and it may still be growing. Ive to go for 21 day bloods on Fri to see if Ive ovulated. Have you not to go for any bloods or scans at all? Just to take it for 4 months ?

Hiya Laura,

I've got 21 day bloods on 21st December but no scans. I think it's more about getting the egg out of the ovary in the first place for me as I am not ovulating according to my recent blood test. So I guess I'm taking Clomid to over-stimulate my ovaries so they actually kick an egg out. Once it's out there technically shouldn't be any reason why I don't have a good chance. Well I'm just assuming that but who knows? The consultant did go on about how 'normal' fertile couples have only a 10% chance of falling pregnant each month. Oh great! I have to take it for 2 cycles then return to the doc to get more but will be allowed to go up to 150mg. Is that a high dosage do you know? Then if no success after that then it's back to the hospital for a review and potentially another two cycles.

Then I have been scaring myself looking at multiple birth studies of multiples conceived using Clomid...40% of 1200 sets of triplets in one study were conceived using Clomid! I just want one more, not a litter!

Good luck for your scans, I hope those follicles have a growth spurt!

I know that 150 mg is the most you can take but if thats what they give u then the must assume that you need the higher dose. Glad to hear you are getting the bloods done too.

In terms of multiple births I know what u mean. My best friends partner had twins in July courtesy of clomid. I had them over on Wed afternoon, talk about hard work! Ill be happy with one too!!! Does give me hope that thr clomid worked for her in the second cycle. She was only on 50mg too and still got multiples.

Oh wow, twins on 50mg...eek! I might end up with quads! I think in one way it would be nice but having had one baby, I really don't think I could cope with more than one. My little boy was a good baby but I don't think I'd be so lucky again. And those night feeds would never end. I was so uncomfortable in my first pregnancy: I had a squashed gall bladder and ended up with a numb spot where his foot always was. Goodness knows how I'd cope with more than one in there!

Hiya

I'm on my 4th cycle of 50mg Clomid, and i have PCOS too and docs suggest i don't ovulate properly. I have been ovulating CD14/15 on clomid which is good.

I am currently 4DPO and bloated like i am with AF. I only get to see my flat tummy for around 5 days each cycle now :(. Uber tired too xxxx

Thanks chazabell, it's good to hear some other experiences, good or bad!

Can I ask on what day you are supposed to really start 'trying'? It's just doc didn't really tell me that much about the drug other than when to take it, how much to take and how long for!

On average its day 14 but Im still using opks or my cbfm to check for ovulation as it can change.

OK thanks, I didn't know whether we had to start trying as soon as I finished the last dose!

Hi jacq, i'm currently on first cycle of clomid too and was told to try every other day from cd10-18. Good luck xxx

CD 10-18 is good coverage. Use OPK's too if your not sure when you OV. Mine is always around CD14/15 on Clomid. Before Clomid it could be as late as CD21.

Good luck with it hun :dust: xxx

I just took my last dose for this cycle...fingers crossed.

Yesterday I was feeling very low (especially in the evening) and close to tears. I am putting it down to the Clomid and as I haven't had a 'real' cycle in a fair few years now I've forgotten what's it like to get hormonal! Has anyone else had these kind of side effects?

Also been super bloated today and some bubbly pressure feelings down there. Hmmmm! Hard not to get your hopes up.

CD9 and we BD'd last two days...only for the fact that I had really EWCM on CD7 and I thought I really don't want to miss that egg. Has anyone else O'd really early on Clomid? I'm not using OPKs as they've given me false positives before. I also thought that my body could naturally kick out an egg without Clomid and it might just be it finally decides to do it just before the Clomid kicks in.

I think we're going to go for it really from now until about CD21 when I have my bloods done. I'm tired just thinking about all that compulsory BDing!

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
qwertyuiop33
Back