Nervous!

sarah1

Reaction score
Pointless thread I just needed to stop the butterflies!! We sent a letter to our close family and friends yesterday explaining our whole situation. I'm really nervous wondering what they will think and sat waiting for the phone to ring. My Mum and hubby's Dad can be a bit strange and think they're gonna be mad at us for not telling them....... and I know my Mum is very against adoption......I wanted to tell them but also don't want to discuss my private bits with them! eek!

x x x x x x

Hi Hon,

They will prob be very supportive with it and very glad that you told them. You dont have to do this alone and I know you have us girls to talk to but you do need support from your family as well. My mum and my OH's mum were flabergasted when we told them and felt dreadful that we had not told them before now as they were always making jokes about babies etc etc. I thimk you will be surprised with what they say and their reaction. Dont be nervous, feel relieved that you have of it your chest.

Hugs

Gizzy xxxxx

Argh! That's really really scary :shock:

What did you put in the letter?

I think it will turn out for the best though. It's definitely better for people to be able to process the information without blurting out knee jerk reactions at you.

I'm really nervous for you waiting for those phonecalls :)

Don't let them sway you though with their own opinions on how to proceed, just remember that just because you invited them into your world doesn't make it all about them! xx

Hi Sarah I think you're really brave for doing that, I just can't face the thought of telling my family but I'm being a bit more open about talking about it with certain friends. Think it's pf that's helped me with that. Good luck, let us know what they say :hugs:

I just want to echo evrythin the girls have already said x x

U are very brave x

Sent from my AWESOME iPod touch using Tapatalk

Hey hun, my mum cried when i told her everything but more because she was sad i had gone through it all without her! Now she even buys my hpts lol! I was very worried bout telling family - ouldnt tell my dad had to get mum too! They have been so unbelievably supportive tho and always have a hug if i need one :) Having said that i still find it very difficult to talk about so if they ask i can get quite snappy if i dont want to talk about it!

Hope you get the response and support you deserve

xxxx

Hi girls thanks so much for the support. My big brother, best mate, Dad and Hubbys parents have been amazing. They are sad for us obviously but think they understand why we waited to tell them and also why we had to write it down for them! Its a lot for them to deal with but hopefully they'll leave us to it and let us bring up the subject when we think it necessary.

I haven't had the best relationship with my Mum since she divorced my Dad 5 years ago, basically she has a bit of a drinking problem but won't admit it, and used to take her anger out on me a lot when I lived with her. I thought she was much better recently but sure enough she rang up last night (quite late I might add) crying and shouting at me down the phone - I don't think I can ever forgive some of the things she said. I know its upsetting, but there's no need to take it out on us! She was saying that there was probably nothing wrong us, and that the doctors are lying and rubbish and that we are so stupid for not going private (she has money stashed away, she was offering me allsorts and wouldn't get into her head that money may not be able to help us!)

She asked about treatments and I mentioned the pgd thing saying we didn't know how we felt about it, she was like a woman possessed 'have it done, now have anything done!' crazy woman. I know she is against anything like IVF and adoption yet now shes all for it! Then she said oh you could use a donor instead of hubby, it wouldn't matter! Just like that, like its nothing, like I want a baby that looks half like me and half like a random guy. Hubby got really mad at her for upsetting me, never seen him so mad. She just doesn't get it I'm afraid, she thinks just because she 'might' have had a miscarriage once that she can totally relate and there's nothing wrong with us, we're just making a fuss.

Sorry for the rant. She hasn't even apologised, just texted me saying she wants to meet up all normal....haven't even seen her for about 3 months cos she doesn't bother with us. I know I prob sound like a spoilt child but this isn't an overreaction, shes genuinely got a drink problem and learned to hide it very well. Don't think hubby ever believed me till he heard her last night. He does now!

Lou - the letter basically listed all the things wrong with us, but then went on to say we are happy together whether or not we have children - my Mum was basically saying if we don't have kids we may as well split up! nice!!

Arrrgh sorry for long long post!!!! xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx

Wow Sarah, your post brought tears to my eyes, you DO NOT seem like a spoilt child hun! I feel so bad for you having to deal with your mum. It must be so hard :shock: at least your dad and in laws are being supportive, try and take comfort from that. You're a strong girl, we're all here for you xxxx :lol:

wow, what a lot to deal with!

you sound incredibly grounded and sensible. and you've taken what can only have been something terrible to hear in such a mature way.

I don't know what else to say other than I'm glad you and your husband have some support from your family and I hope your mum comes through for you. But if she doesn't it sounds like you'll make it without her support.

Big hugs

Update: Mum decided to come over sat afternoon for a very short visit, she didn't mention the whole thing and just tried to make polite conversation about other things! She brought us a pointless present which is nice and everything but, you know!.....when she left she said to hubby 'keep busy' as though I was dead or something! Not a sniff of an apology...I barely talked to her I was still so mad and neither did hubby, she didn't notice though.

I'm still angry but she just won't realise, she just brushes everything under the carpet, bet she wouldn't even admit she'd been drinking that night. So much for sharing things with my Mum, she'll be kept firmly out of the picture as much as possible I'm afraid xxxx

Urgh Sarah ,

My mum and i never really got on when i was growing up , but i could write a book on some of the abuse! Now though i have forgiven and accepted her, so i know how hard it is when really it's an effort to get along. I'm still scared of my mum to this day and i dont know why because she doesn't do anything to me anymore. It was so bad i developed nerves and panic disorders.

Really what im trying to say is it doesn't matter what she thinks, you cant live your life for her orspend time worrying and thinking about what she said. You and OH are strong and full of love for each other and adopted children or biological children you will create a family that is full of love . Your own special little family that no one can touch.

Thats how it is with me and mine . I'm like (this is alllll mine , my happy no nerves family with a daughter that our relationship couldn't be more different to my mum and i)

Glad everyone else is so great though and the news has been shared x

Aw sorry about your mum Sarah :hug:

She might have been dismissive of the extent of the problem but at least she offered to help and was, in a round about way, positive that you would one day have your own children?

I dunno. I don't like families falling out.

I hate my mum when she has had a drink though, in fact i hate most people when they've had a drink... all it does is turn perfectly intellegent and lovely people into someone else - normally an idiot.

I hope that you can work it out somehow :hug:

Sorry Sarah :-( Your mum is trying to pretend that everything is normal, probably because she is so upset for you (deep down). It's frustrating cos if she only knew what an apology and acknowledgment of what you're going through would mean to you both.

My mum used to be terrible at apologising, soooo stubborn and it really upset me. She's a lot better now, I think she realises how much it hurts me esp since losing my dad (he was always the one who would talk her round to apologising). We appreciate each other more now.

I have to say I think you're handling this so well but I know it can't be easy. Seems like you have a great OH to support you. You did the right thing telling her, maybe give her a bit more time to broach the subject with you, she might bring it up when it's just the 2 of you, you never know xxx

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nicola111
Back