Adoption - 1st Visit

BabyLover

Reaction score
Hello Everyone

After a couple of months of waiting we have finally got our first visit for the social worker to come to our home in January....

I am so nervous and excited at the same time. We are currently in the process of decorating half the house, so there are bare walls and my kitchen and bathroom are bare, in the sense they are working progress....Do you think this will affect us when they come?

As I don't want them thinking we have a half finished house lol

Also does anyone know what they will be looking for or what they are going to ask?

I am so nervous as this is the first step towards us maybe having our own adopted child/children...

Advice Please

x

I havent got any advice, but Im so pleased to hear that youre taking this first step. My colleague at work is currently on leave having adopted her 2nd child, shes got a boy and a girl and theyre a lovely family. :love:

Hey darling, I dont know anything specific about adoption social workers but as a (now unemployed) solicitor I come across sw all of the time! SW are quite reasonable, they are looking for people who can provide a good comfortable but more importantly loving and stable home. They will enquire as to your backgrounds, marriage etc. Just be yourselves. Click with your sw and you are half way there xx

Awww thanks hun

We will always be ourselves as we are not put on a show kind of people. We can provide a loving and stable home for a child/children and want this opportunity.

I am excited, but I am a sort of person who wants everything to be right, as you hear so many stories of SW judging you and everything has to be perfect in your home etc....even though I am not the sort of person to listen to those people, but it's still in the back of your mind lol

Thanks x

I'd get in touch with Bead, Donna.

She's had a house visit or two and will probably be the best person to ask :)

It sounded to me that at first they just went over the same stuff you put in the forms like why you want to adopt, why you think you'd be suitable, etc.

I can't see them worrying too much about the house decor as it's not something that might influence the health and lifestyle of the child - unless you have mould and things which will definitely need to be sorted.

Just think "Health and Safety" ;)

My mum and dad have fostered for 33 years so I'm used to SW's lol. Health and safety is a massive concern to them these days. Make sure you have smoke/carbon monoxide detectors up ( the fire brigade will help you to place them properly if you need them to). Fire extinguishers etc are also a must for the kitchen. Everyone is allowed to do renovation hun, it's not like it won't be finished by the time a child comes to you so don't panic....it could even work in your favour cos you could ask them their advice :). I think you also need keys for each window lock/patio door etc, most key cutters can do these for you.

I'll ask my mum later for any advice she can give if you like, my 2 aunts adopted children with disabilities so she'll know the ins and outs of it all xxxxxxxxxx

Thank Lou - I have already been in contact with Bead over the last couple of months regarding Adoption...We don't have mould or anything like that so we okay there lol

Thanks BabyBrain - That would be great if you could get some advice for us from your mum. We have everything in place like fire/carbon monoxide detector in place, they have to be in otherwise I would worry all the time lol We also have keys for all our double glazing windows and doors....

Its just the decorating we are having to do at the moment, which has come to a stop, due to it being Christmas time, be back on top of it after Christmas and should only take around 6 months to complete everything that needs doing or less.

Thanks for all the advice x

Cant offer any advice on the adoption process but I am sooo happy for you that things are moving along, as others have said I am sure they wont care to much about a half decorated house, they will no doubt be more interested in knowing if you will make good parents ..... and you have that one in the bag hunny xxxxx

Awww thanks Vicky

I know we will make great parents and we have all the love and support to give any child out there, it's just making it clear and showing the adoption agency that this is what we want.

x

Thanks for all the wishes

Appreciate them and it does boost me up

Donna x

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
lauramayne90