Need encouragement....

Nurse 26

Reaction score
Hey ladies! bear with me as i'm new to all this.

Have been Breastfeeding my little one, milk just came in yesterday properly but one of my nipples is so painful now, in all the books it says its because of poor latching but he latches really well, all the midwives keep telling me hes doing it right and it feels like this.

Does this painful period pass? any tips? (i have the nipple cream and it helps) hes also feeding LOADS through the night and its really draining, when will this stop? or get better? all he wants to do all night is feed but he feeds and settles really well during the day.

Feeling a bit fed up as its so difficult, found day 2 and before the milk came in really stressful.
No given him any top ups or anything as he hardly lost any of his birth weight and midwife says hes doing great.

Thanks ladies!

xx

Your obviously doing really well im not the best person to be giving advice but it does pass and it does get easier. Have you got some cream for your nipple, it will help. Your doing great x

Sent from my E15i using Tapatalk

Thanks hun, i have the cream and it does help, i'm just finding my left one so painful. to be honest ive found breatfeeding much harder than labour.

First of all, congrats, welcome and don't give up!

Day 5 was the worst for me, the pain passes in a couple of days. I was really sore from cracked and bleeding nipples and Henry just wanted to feed constantly. The constant feeding is just Harry building up ur milk supply.

The painful period does pass, Henry only feeds now (usually but not tonight!) twice during the night after being a hungry baby at night. I just make sure he has a big feed at about 10, then he usually sleep until 1-2am. He is then usually up again between 5-6am.

Henry has had a really good latch from the beginning like Harry, but it is ur nipples toughening up that hurts so much.line r like old boots now lol! Running ur breastmilk on ur nipples is really good, better than nipple cream because of the antibodies in it.

Is there not a bf support group near u that u can go to? I went to my local one on Thursday and found it really helpful.

Keep with it hun of its what u wanna do. It's a really rewarding experience xxx

Thanks larly! thats really helpful :) i will try rubbing some of the milk on them, the cream does work, i feel if i could just get a break at night, think i'm expecting too much too soon as we are both still learning i guess!

Ive looked up a group and plan on going, there was nobody else at hosp who was breastfeeding and the midwives were so busy we didnt get much help, so far managed to get by just need to know its going to get less painful and we will get through it, i love BF as feel like the bond with me and Harry has been great because of it :)

Well done Hun you're doing a great job :) those first two weeks for me were the worse and then it's just brilliant ;) the lansiloh (sp) nipple cream is good as you can put it on before LO latches and it acts as a barrier....once LO has built up your supply the feeding will settle into a routine!

My LO is 6.5 months and I've just put her onto formula! I miss bf though! It really is the best ;)

Congratulations on LO to btw xx

Sent from my sparkly new iPhone

I feel the same way as you Nurse, but I've only be bfing since last Monday, 2 hours after Alex was born. He feeds and latches on really well, every 2.5-3 hours which I've been told is quite normal for now and he's getting plenty of milk. Once he's finished he falls asleep straight away (once I've winded him).

I'm also using the nipple cream and it really helps although I'm lucky as I don't find my breasts to be that sore.

I'm going to find out about the nearest support group too, so I can get more help/advice and talk to/meet other new mums in the same position.

I know it will get easier as he gets older. My aim is to stop bf at around 6 months.

x x Rosie x x

U will have to excuse all the typos. I was half asleep feeding Henry! Lol!

Harry will settle down soon enough at night. Do u have low lighting in the room u feed in? I feed in Henry's nursery and we fitted a dimmer switch and have a 25w bulb in it. It is light eniugh to see what ur doin but dark enough not to wake him properly.

I've been in his nursery feeding now for 10mins and he has gone back to sleep and is now comfort sucking. I found comfort sucking really painful when my nipples were bad. It was rough enough just havin the inner strength to allow him to feed, let alone suck for comfort. This is when I introduced his dummy. I didn't really wanna give it to him but I couldn't cope with it! He has only taken his dummy about 3 times and won't take it anymore. He spits it put at u even if i hold it in I til he sucks properly on it. Felt bad givin it to him but it was an absolute godsend on my really painful days xxxx

You're doing amazing!

I used both milk and cream on my nipples and found lanisonah great when Tyler was comfort sucking as it 'lubricated' the nipple so meant I had some relief. Its hard work but make the most if it. They grow up far top quickly!

I know exactly how u feel hun when harry was 5 days old I was literally pulling my hair out because harry was constantly hungry, I was in a lot of pain (I had a bad latch to begin with so my nipples were cracked and bleeding) and feeding him literally bought tears to my eyes, at this point I wanted to give up bf and put him on a bottle just to give me my sanity back, after talking to the ladies on here I perservered and now harry still feeds a lot probably every 2 hrs at night and every 3hrs during the day, it's still hard going but I know harry is getting the best. Perservere hun it does get easier and it does stop hurting, as the girls have said rubbing milk into them helps (mine have healed now and it doesnt hurt anymore) hope it gets better for u hun x

Last edited:
Hello sweetie. Congratulations!!! The soreness does pass. Honestly! Xxx

Congrats nurse! So lovely to have you and harry here. I think bf and generally looking after a newborn are much more difficult than it's made out to be during pregnancy. You are doing amazingly though! As all the other ladies hve said, bf is painful and exhausting at the beginning. But it gets much easier and is just the most amazing experience xxxxx

Exactly what Verity said. Taking care of a newborn and breastfeeding is a lot of work especially the first couple weeks. It gets so much better though! You are doing great! :hugs:

Yay!! Good to see you here, the pain does reduce. I find the breast pads irritate me so of an eve I close the curtains, lock the door and sit with my boobies out. Although make sure you have Muslins available as when you feed you will leak from the other. The amount of times I've soaked sam is nobodies business lol

I find putting the cream on before and after in the early days really helped.

As for the nights sam still feeds every two hours, it is hard work, I can't lie but it's worth it x

Thanlks for the messages ladies! Just what I needed, o know it will get easier, I'm trying not to moan about it in front of others as I keep getting the same response, oh just give him a bottle! I swear I just want to punch people! Oops prob hormones!

Larly I have low light bulb in room I feed in at night now but at first was feeding in bright room

I'm determined to keep going as I know it will be worth it in the end! Xx

You're doing great hope other's advice works for you!

It will get better!! Remember to always have clean hands when you touch your breasts and also to keep them warm! Wear wool if you have the possibility! Be carefull when looking into the fridge!!

I also used breastmilk on my nipples and it really helped!!

Lots of luck hun!!!

xx

Oh, and when you have the possibility, let them air dry!!

No advice but just wanted to say go you :hug: Sounds like you're doing an amazing job. So pleased you're over in this section now :D x

well my nipples are starting to heal now i think :) Harry got weighed yesterday and is passed his birth weight already so i guess he must be doing well :) x

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ARCHIATER
Back