Need breastfeeding help!

x.Lilly.x

Reaction score
Poppy was born on saturday at 4pm so it nrly a day and a half old.
she just wants to feed constantly, its really getting me down tbh.
she seems to feed for 15-20 mins, fall asleep, then ill put her down shell wake up withing seconds and start eating her hand again for more food.

i feel compleatly drained, i got about 3 hours sleep last night and everytime she wanted a feed id be crying as i just felt she didnt stop feeding.
in the end i had her in bed feeding so wen she finished we both went to sleep in bed.

is it normal for them to feed that much, i was thinking of giving her a dummy as she seems to such for comfort?

iv finally got her to sleep in her bouncer for the past hour with no dummy but thats the first time i feel like iv been able to put her down without her screaming for my boob.

hihon
just posted on your other thread. My LO fed a lot in first few weeks. It does get easier. We gave adummy after 2 weeks as he was a very sucky baby and it helped a lot. But they advise to wait until breast feeding properly established before you give a dummy.
Good luck and massive congrats xx

George fed a lot to start off with - they've only got tiny stomachs so they cant stay full for very long. It does get better, hang on in there.

like the others said, in a few weeks it will be easier. you're doing so well to keep up with her. see if you can just sit down and get everyone to help out around you and use it as an excuse to put your feet up. I know I did xx

was just wondering how you were getting on and so agree with amyjayne's post. Stay in bed with pjs on (or on the sofa) get everyone else to bring you food and drinks :) for a few days anyway, and that is only if you can. I tried to do way too much stuff and should have just chilled out more. Think it was hormones though felt majorly high and like I needed to wash and fold clothes!!!!

i just posted on ur other thread, but i wud deffo reccomend a dummy!

It's def normal. You just need to stick at it. Problem is not all babies take dummies.

Just try and sleep when the baby sleeps.

Our daughter is a week old and it's just, just starting to get better!! 3 hour sleeps every night for my wife...! She will be expressing soon which means I can help out more.

Sounds very familiar hun! It's so hard in those first weeks. At the end of the day, if she needs it, give her a dummy. Your not doing anything wrong by doing it.

Emily doesn't have one but I wouldn't hesitate if it made her more content x

When Cahal kept falling asleep in those first few days I my midwife told me to try to keep him awake as long as possible - this meant tickling his feet, and even stripping his clothes off, just to keep him awake until he's properly finished. After a few goes we found that he was feeding for longer each time, and the time between feeds also got longer and then settled into a 2-hourly routine.

I would definitely recommend getting the breast feeding a bit more established before you think about giving her a dummy, she's still really, really tiny and has to learn everything from scratch, including how and when to feed :)

Sounds like you're doing a grand job chick xx

Hey Lilly, i'm having pretty much the same with Ella... she's 4 days old today and seems to go a while in between feeds during the day, but come night time, it's like she want the boob constantly.

We've tried popping a little finger into her mouth to see if it's comfort or hunger and she does seem to settle with that most of the time, although i'm loathe to give her a dummy if i can get away without it...

I think now my real milk has started coming in it should change as she'll get fuller (fingers crossed!) Stick with it for a few more days and see how you go. x

Hey, hope you're doing well.
Babies feed and incredible lot in the first week or two. This is to help your milk come in and regulate a consistant supply. Evelyn wouldn't take a dummy either.
Breastmilk in digested a lot quicker than formula so breastfed babies tend to feed a lot more often also. Good luck and keep up the great work.

Ditto the other replies, it does get easier. I remember being in tears at 3am cos all she wanted to do was feed :( her sleep cycles were all wrong and would have her night sleep during the day. It's hard but it will be better soon.

You're doing an amazing job! Xx

I remember being in tears at 3am cos all she wanted to do was feed :(

Oh, i've been there. I was really sore and one nipple was soooo sore, cracked and bleeding. I'd cry in agony whilst she latched on. Gets so much easier though.

it will get easier, u have to get trough a few nights of tears but it will get better :hugs:

thnkyou so much everyone :hugs:
my milk has started to come thru yesterday n shell now go a few hours not needing milk n last night went from 1am-5am for a 2 min feed thn bk to sleep till 8am so feel sooooo much better now after sum sleep! :D

So glad things have started improving for you hun x

thats good XX i had a few weeks that was horrible, but when he was about 3 n a half weeks it suddenly stoped. it was horrible, i was in tears every night but funny enough, i can barely remember it now :D

it becomes so easy in the end, it's just the first few weeks you have to struggle through, SO worth it though :)

yeah definatly. i cant imagine how hard bottle feeding must be, getting up, making a bottle, heating it up, burping.
just sounds too much hard work lol!

Not all babies will take a dummy, and i would steer clear of them for the first few weeks as you need her to suck as much as she wants on the boob to help your supply get well established!

Take a baby-moon, couple days in bed with her, dvds, a tube of lansinoh, and a man to do the work! heh

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nicola111
Back