NCT Classes

michaels

Reaction score
My wife and I have been considering whether to attend one of the NCT antenatal courses but we're not sure whether it's worth the money. Because of where we live we're in the 'C' band and the cost would be around £250-£300.

Does anyone have any experiences to share? Is it worth it, what's the course like, are they practical, would you do it again?

A couple of people I've spoken with have said that they're a bit new age and 'touchy feely' which I'm not sure we'd be interested in. I assume they are the same whichever part of the country you are in, is that the case?

I'd just like some general feedback really. If it's worth spending the money then it's not a problem, I just want to make sure that they're beneficial and we won't be listening to pan music hugging each other to experience spiritual togetherness :)

Any advice much appreciated!

Michael

are you in merton or wandsworth?

i've just been to the wandsworth nhs antenatal classes and they were good... tbh, i didn't learn anything i didn't know already, but it was nice to have my thoughts verified and to meet other pregnant ladies & their partners.

am sure other people can advise on the nct classes, but OH and i couldn't justify the cost and really didn't think we'd get enough from them.

this forum has taught me more than anything else!! :D :D

We didn't actually do the NCT course but has NCT spekers at our NHS antenatal. Generally they were good, all informative but nothing I didn't know already. I felt it was worth doing though as my OH learned lots, we met people and we found out about things like breastfeeding support groups and other useful organisations / helplines.

I'd say do the course, book up early though as NCT classes are really popular.

EDIT to say that the NCT speakers weren't particularly touchy feely, they are very pro breastfeeding though and did refuse to do the sterilisation talk which I felt was a bit off. Generally the classes were quite practical, how to change a nappy (using a doll), how to put position baby in cot with correct amount of covers etc...

purple13 said:
are you in merton or wandsworth?

i've just been to the wandsworth nhs antenatal classes and they were good... tbh, i didn't learn anything i didn't know already, but it was nice to have my thoughts verified and to meet other pregnant ladies & their partners.

am sure other people can advise on the nct classes, but OH and i couldn't justify the cost and really didn't think we'd get enough from them.

this forum has taught me more than anything else!! :D :D

Thanks for the response. I'm down as Merton but the NHS classes are in Morden, to be honest, it's a bit of a trek over there whereas the NCT course is just around the corner, literally. :) With all the other costs, maternally fit classes for example, (You're supposed to get fatter when you're pregnant dear) :) an extra few pounds isn't going to break the credit card.

If the NHS classes are fine then maybe I'll think more about those. I guess we could go to both...

sunnyday said:
We didn't actually do the NCT course but has NCT spekers at our NHS antenatal. Generally they were good, all informative but nothing I didn't know already. I felt it was worth doing though as my OH learned lots, we met people and we found out about things like breastfeeding support groups and other useful organisations / helplines.

I'd say do the course, book up early though as NCT classes are really popular.

EDIT to say that the NCT speakers weren't particularly touchy feely, they are very pro breastfeeding though and did refuse to do the sterilisation talk which I felt was a bit off. Generally the classes were quite practical, how to change a nappy (using a doll), how to put position baby in cot with correct amount of covers etc...

Thanks. Well that all sounds useful, but I agree with you on the sterilisation issue, that's a bit iniquitous (my word of the day in case you're wondering) :)

I go to NCT classes and I really enjoy them, however, I go mainly for the social aspect than for the preparation. As other people have said, I haven't learned anything different from what I have already learned from the forum or from my own reading.
It is nice to meet other people who are having children around the same time as us and who have similar ideas about parenting.
It isn't touchy feely, they just want to promote the 'normal' model of pregnancy and birth....i.e. that natural brithing and breast feeding is best. However, they discuss all methods of child birth and have been supportive to anyone wishing to have c-sections, pain relief or bottle feed.
We only paid £129 for our course though, £300 seems a bit pricey.

I decided to just go with teh NHS classes and to spend the money on books to read when it suits me. I seem to forget things minutes after someone has said them so this way can just reread the books :D I'm really pleased after hearing that they cover things like changing nappies on dolls as I've been doing that for months :rotfl:

We did the NCT classes (in NE Scotland) and I thought they were fantastic.... not too 'new age' at all and while they do promote breastfeeding etc they certainly weren't preachy or judgemental. From a social point of view as well we met some great people.

The NHS classes in our area were fine for 'cold hard facts' but the NCT ones were invaluable for all those little worries and queries you have - def reccommend them!

Hi there Michael!

First of all congratulations on the pregnancy. Secondly, if you are intending to go the NCT route you'll need to get booked in asap. I tried to book mine when I was 16 weeks and they were fully booked :shock: but I think in the North-West there are fewer classes on than in London.

We are currently attending the NHS antenatal classes (4 in all plus supplementary optional courses on breastfeeding and positioning for labour) and both my husband and I find them informative, humorous and above all very useful.

Of course, all of the information you are given can be found on the web (I for one was very clued up, having read all the birth stories in 3rd Tri in here) but it helps to have it all given to you clearly and concisely.

Good luck :cheer:

Am I the only person who doesn't know what an NCT class is? :think:

Michael I'm not far from you and I had NHS antenatal classes. I only went to the first 2 because they were common sense and weren't really informative. I wouldn't waste your money on classes if I were you, theres nothing they can tell you that you can't read about on the internet or ask us on this forum.

Unless NCT classes are something wonderful I know nothing about :lol:

Hi,

I've managed to get booked onto NCT classes, at the last minute. I think it was a cancellation. So. if you're going to do them.. get your name name now.
Also.. I think that the prices come with the £35/40 joining NCT fee, which obv, you can remove.

I can comment more after the 1st march, on my first NCT class, but I am too late for NHS classes, so have had to do them.

:)

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nicola111
Back