Naughty Step - Do you do/use it??

SarahH

Reaction score
As the title says really, do you use the naughty step system? And if so, how did you introduce it?

Arianna is usually always so good, but she is defo starting to throw her little strops if she doesn't get her own way, so am wanting to try to nip it in the bud, before it starts to become a frequent thing!

All tips, advice, etc will be a great help :)

we have a step and if Seren gets really bad(she will throw things and I am worried Cally will get hit with them) then we tell her to sit on the step till she has calmed down and then she can come back in. We don't give her a time to sit there for, and she will come in still screaming and we will send her out again and so on till she apologises. It works, it is a very last resort and like I said we only use it when she is throwing things and posing a danger to others (make her sound dangerous lol) which isn't very often. I personally am not a fan of the term naughty step and have found that for tantrums the best thing for us to just ignore her

Tantrum was probably the wrong word for me to chose, I mean like what you said, throwing stuff in a rage etc. As I say it doesn happen often - I am just worried as we will be staying with my inlaws for 5wks :shock:

SarahH said:
Tantrum was probably the wrong word for me to chose, I mean like what you said, throwing stuff in a rage etc. As I say it doesn happen often - I am just worried as we will be staying with my inlaws for 5wks :shock:

teach them how to duck ;)

Nope. Only because I don't see the point if you then can't punish them the same way if you are out and they are naughty. I do however put Isaac in his bedroom and close the gate when he is naughty and getting himself in a state. I tell him why he is going in his room then leave him a couple of minutes, ask him to apologise (which he always does) and then explain to him again why he was naughty. If we are out and he is naughty I tell him off and, if possible, bring him home.

When Ellie does something naughty (typically hitting), we tell her off for it, explain why (it hurts Mummy), and ask her to apologise. If she doesn't, we then use the naughty "step", but I don't worry about it being the step, especially if we are out, I just make her sit on the floor somewhere (with her back to us, and ignore her), until she is ready to say sorry. This normally works pretty quickly and these days we just need to move towards doing it, when she will calm down and say sorry. More recently we are having to follow through as we have had some very insincere sounding sorry's. I will do it no matter where we are - restaurant, in-laws or at home. Really fustrating is when I have to do it when we are trying to rush out the house to nursery.

Thanks, I am just going into early panic of staying at my inlaws! MIL is fine, but is one of those "oh she's only little" and wont say no to anything when it comes to kids - she is still like that with Brian and is shocked when I tell him to go get his own juice or whatever and he is 35!

Then FIL, lets Arianna do something depending on his mood :shock: like last year when we were there Arianna's job was to go into the drawer and get Papa's shoe horn out whenever we were going out somewhere.... one day FIL is in a mood and gave her into trouble for going into the drawer he had let her go in for the last week or so because there was important stuff in there :roll:

I just want her to know what is right and wrong without anyone confussing her

Nicky_Jones said:
When Ellie does something naughty (typically hitting), we tell her off for it, explain why (it hurts Mummy), and ask her to apologise. If she doesn't, we then use the naughty "step", but I don't worry about it being the step, especially if we are out, I just make her sit on the floor somewhere (with her back to us, and ignore her), until she is ready to say sorry. This normally works pretty quickly and these days we just need to move towards doing it, when she will calm down and say sorry. More recently we are having to follow through as we have had some very insincere sounding sorry's. I will do it no matter where we are - restaurant, in-laws or at home. Really fustrating is when I have to do it when we are trying to rush out the house to nursery.

I'd find making Isaac sit on the floor with his backs to us in a restaurant or just out anyway quite degrading for him, whether he'd been naughty or not. I don't like seeing children made to feel embarrassed or ashamed :( I'm not saying you are wrong, I just couldn't use that method.

I do! Well did lol (I dont need it now)
If they were badly behaved they would sit by the front door until I felt they could come back into the room and I asked for an apology! I always always explained to them what they had done wrong and why they are being punished!
I did start with putting them in their bedrooms but then they would think they were being punished if i asked why dont they play a game in their room!

I just raise my eyebrows and say 'er excuse me why are u bein a little wotsit?!' :lol:

Never used naughty step, usually jus make him apologise on the spot or if we r out then make it as un-fun as possible

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nicola111
Back