Natal Hypnotherapy - My perspective/experience- LONG POST

erimela

Reaction score
OK. I had to share this. Tis long, but I think worth sharing positive stories and great finds that might help others.

I am having my first baby, and hand on heart, labour ABSOLUTELY TERRIFIES me :shock:.

I know that thousands of women give birth and that in this day and age there are numerous drugs that one can take to help with the pain.

Upon researching the various drugs, I became concerned with the possible impact on my baby and the bonding experience thereafter. I came across Natal Hypnotherapy online (different to HypnoBirthing - this is american and apparently a different approach).

My OH and I attended a 2 day w/end workshop this weekend just gone past (at a cost of £90 per day for 2 people, this was a lot cheaper than several other workshops I found on line. Oh, and we also received the book free of charge once we booked the workshop). I have to say, it is the BEST investment we have made. We both believe this.

I would be lying if I didn't say I was skeptical about natal hypnotherapy and thinking it is all a bit hippy-ish. I am a very rational person who is known to be stubborn and have a mind of my own. I was really going to ensure that I had covered all my bases, and now, I am very glad I went. My perspective has evolved to say the least!

I wish they would make this course a standard on NHS. I know that NCT & NHS run antenatal courses, they discuss the stages of labour but I was missing how was I to cope during labour (other than feeding my body & baby with drugs which may impede bonding). Natal hypnotherapy has helped me address my fears and give me an approach on how to get through labour.

Also, there is a lot of time spent with your birth partner (my OH in this case) as to what they can do - from massage techniques, to relaxation to practical support -at each stage of labour. My OH found this surprisingly effective and rewarding. He feels like he can be an active participant and also he is happy and more relaxed at the fact that I am in a better emotional place with the impending labour.

Unbelievably I have gone from a terrified person to someone who is more confident. I know I have more work to do to prepare myself for the labour itself but I am in a much better frame of mind and ironically looking forward to the birth! I truly feel my mindset has evolved.

The other great thing is, I don't feel like the workshop was the end. We have a CD which I will listen to leading up to the birth and I can contact my practitioner (Dani) with any questions at anytime.

The practitioner we had, Dani was phenomenally great. She is a mum of 3, she use to be a NCT trainer for nearly 10 years and provided a balanced perspective. At no stage did I or my OH feel forced to chose how we would give birth (that we HAD to use natal hypnotherapy), she spoke openly about her perspective and encouraged constructive dialogue and challenge. I walked away knowing I still had a choice on how I wanted my labour and had enough information to make my own choice.

I have to point out, this is Natal hypnotherapy is not a method of eliminating pain, more pain management that encourages your body and your child to have a positive birth experience and maximise bonding. This may not be for everyone, but I suggest at least taking a look at it and then make an informed decision. You have to do what is best for YOU first and foremost.

To get more information / find workshops etc: www.natalhypnotherapy.co.uk (Head Office Tel +44 (0)1428 712 615)

My OH and I had workshop sessions with Dani ([email protected]) in Bushey, Watford (this is the closest to North London). I know that there aren't any Bushey workshops listed online, but feel free to contact her directly if she is near you. Otherwise, the website can help put you in touch with the right practitioner in your area.

Happy to answer any questions anyone has.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nicola111
Back