Natal hypnotherapy feedback

MrsR

Reaction score
Hi guys! My mw has sent me some emails (names removed obv) she's received from ladies who practised natal hypnotherapy. Thought I'd pass them on for anyone who is interested. Bear with me whilst I copy them (I have permission).

Hi - you may remember coming to my house back in November, to take us through the Natal Hypnotherapy course...

Been meaning to get back to you to let you know how it all went, but have just managed to catch a moment now, five and a half weeks later! I also wanted to thank you for sharing your knowledge and skills with us, and let you know that you really helped me to have an amazing birth experience.
After you left us, I made sure that I listened to the CD regularly. We made a birth plan and had everything ready around us - including a deflated birthing pool in the dining room - for weeks beforehand! The baby was due on the 13th December, but when that date came and passed, I began to lose hope that he would arrive at all. Still, I stayed calm - if not slightly frustrated and bored - and continued with the CD and a variety of things I hoped would bring on the labour.
On the 17th December, while shopping in Newcastle, I "ran" - in the way only a 40 week pregnant woman could - up a flight of stairs in Waterstones, only to find, when I reached the top, that my waters had broken. Not dramatically, but I was fairly sure that was what it was. I insisted on completing my Christmas shopping and didnt arrive home til three hours later.
The contractions didnt start til nine o clock - although, on reflection, I think I'd been having them all day - but they were barely noticeable. Between nine and ten, I was still able to move about freely and I used some movements from a pregnancy yoga class to relieve the aching. I also had the TENS machine on.
The room was lovely - we had candles and lava lamps and relaxing music. The whole family were there - although only my mam and aunty were in the room with me during the labour and birth
At about ten thirty, it got a bit more intense and I phoned the midwife and got in the pool. It was the first night of the snow and it took her 45 minutes to get through. When she examined me, I was 7 cm. It was fairly intense from then onwards, and it was from then that I really began to use the hypnotherapy techniques. My mam and aunty were both amazing throughout - talking me through when I needed it, using the 3,2,1 relax, reminding me of the visualisations. I found that the best thing for me was turning down the dial and the 3,2,1 relax. My aunty also kept telling me that the water contained a painkiller and I really started to believe it and it really worked. I barely used the gas and air - although did quite enjoy chewing the mouthpiece! I won't say that it wasn't intensely uncomfortable, but I don't remember it ever being unmanageable. Apparently I made no noise during contraction - I really did go into the "zone" - and the midwives were very respectful of this.
******* was born at 2.55am - about 6 hours after the first contraction. I didnt need any stitches - one of my biggest worries! He was 8 lb 9oz and gorgeous! And still is - despite the fact that I am permanently knackered.
Anyway, I really do feel that this wonderful birth experience was made possible by you and the Natal Hypnotherapy programme. I approached the experience feeling calm and ready and really, it couldnt possibly have gone any better! Thank you so much for helping me achieve the birth I really wanted!

Hope you are well -

I have been telling all my friends - pregnant and not - about the hypnotherapy

Hi, just to let you know that we had the baby a week and one day early, - only a few days after your visit to our home, to deliver natal hypnotherapy! *******, weighing 7lbs and 120z. I woke up at 5am with regular but managable pains and woke K**** at 6am to see what he thought. They were similar to the pains i had had approx 10 days previous, so I dismissed them really. I had a bit of bleeding, so rang the hospital and I jumped in the bath, hoping things would settle but the hospital said to come in immediately. I was having 3 contractions in 10 mins at this point and was 6cm dilated by the time we got there at 9.20am I had a water birth, with only a little gas and air from 2pm and the baby was born at 4.55pm. I felt a little cheated, as we did not have our excitement phase!!! Things did slow down, as he was back to back but there was no time between contractions (or very limited time) and I was surprised at this, as I thought I would get some time early on, to do my project i had set aside! It was fantastic thanks to doing the natal hypnotherapy. I really feel that had I had a bit longer, I could have managed without any pain relief but I just couldnt quite get to the deep level of relaxation. Had the baby arrived on time - a week later - then I would have had longer to practice. However, I felt excited and happy, totally in control, the midwife was really quiet and let us get on with it, **** was excellent and helped me with my breathing and to relax. It really is about the breathing and I found on a couple of occasions I completely drifted off - almost asleep.....fabulous experience, thank you, thank you, thank you. I will mention this to everyone I know and to the midwife service in South Tyneside and where i work in the ******. I know, hand on heart, that whatever had happened in that delivery room, I could have and would have, dealt with it thanks to natal hypnotherapy and if you ever need anyone to speak up for this I am more than willing. Feel free to quote me.

kindest regards

****** x

Last one;

Just grabbing a few minutes now to let you know about my labour and birth experience. Very much a game of two halves as they say! At 2.30am on the morning of June 16th I woke up with a pretty strong contraction. Contractions kept coming every 15 minutes for the first hour, and then got closer together. I got up and pottered about the house preparing things for the home birth and grabbing a cup of tea and some toast. By 5.45am the contractions were lasting around 45 - 60 seconds and were coming every 3 minutes of so. I rang the RVI maternity assessment unit who got in touch with the community midwives. By 7am when the midwives arrived I felt as though things were imminent. Baby was on the right, head down and just had a little turn to make to be in the optimum position to be born. However she had other ideas and decided to go round the long way, turning back to back which slowed things down a lot. By late afternoon she'd turned again to the left hand side but her head was facing the side and she got herself stuck. I was fully dilated and good to go, but after a few more hours of trying to move around to get her in a better position, the midwives (I was on the third shift by then!) suggested going into the RVI as they thought I may need an assisted delivery.
The whole day at home was wonderful. I enjoyed every minute of it, and never felt as though I needed pain relief. I breathed, practiced my natal hypnotherapy relaxation techniques (3-2-1-relax and visualisations in particular were really useful), danced and sang (Nina Simone Feeling Good and Here Comes the Sun were on a few times!), had a bath, rocked on hands and knees, used the birth ball and generally had a great time! One of the midwives commented that she'd never seen a labouring woman laugh at 9cm dilated.
Once we got into the RVI I succumbed to the gas and air as we had to wait for a couple of hours for a theatre to become available, but I still used the natal hypnotherapy techniques and very much 'went into myself' to cope, concentrating on breathing. When we finally got into theatre I had a spinal and they tried to get Baby with ventouse, but she wasn't having any of it. Just as the Registrar was saying that it would have to be a C-Section, a Consultant came into theatre and offered to try with forceps. Baby ******* turned with one rotation, and was born with one contraction at five to midnight. It was amazing to feel her head as she was born. She was 7lb15oz, apgar scores of 9 and 9 and her heartrate had never faltered throughout the entire labour and birth.
Thank you so much for giving me so many resources to draw on during my labour. I can honestly say I loved the whole day at home and was so relieved to deliver S**** safely without a section. I've been raving about natal hypnotherapy to everyone who'll listen, and all the community midwives found the day a great experience too and were impressed with how effective it was.

Thanks again, and take care,
******** x

As you can see, it didn't always go to plan but the women stayed in control and confident! Hope to add my own feedback and birth story soon!!! Lol

Hi Helen,
I have signed up for these classes - have heard such good things about them and as this is my first baby, i'm willing to give anything a go as i'm so afraid of the pain!
It's great to read positive things. Some people probably think it's rubbish but horses for courses and all that!

Rose

I hope you find them useful, I've been listening to the CDs religiously and love them! They make me really know that I can do this and that even if it doesn't go to plan I can still be in control and stay calm x really hope that you enjoy them as much!

Thanks so much for all this info. I am definitely going to look into this! Xx

Not a problem at all x glad to help x

I've only been doing the CDs. Only done the "relaxation in pregnancy" one so far and found that I was very chilled out afterwards and did feel more positive and enthused about keeping fit and eating healthily. Although, said it would help me sleep better and haven't seen any improvement in sleeping but not too disheartened by that.
Just about to move on to CD2 - " Effective Birth Preparation-Hospital or Birth Centre"
Next stage is to get my mum (who will be birth partner as DH is away) on side, not sure if it is really her kind of thing but I'm sure she will be supportive to my wishes.
Here's hoping this programme helps us all to have a good birthing experience :)

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nicola111
Back