Nappy rash just won't go....

Beatlesfan

Reaction score
hey all

Since having diahrreoa a while back Imogen has had a nasty nappy rash just on her fallulah...(lady bit's!) not on her bum. It is on her upper legs a bit too.

we use naturebotts (no alcohol) wipes but have recently tried cotton wool and water. No difference....
We use nature baby care nappies...
We only wash her with water on her bits and actually just use baby organic stuff on her body and hair (what there is of it...she is still a bit bald!!) once a week so don't think toiletries are irritating her....

anyway, we have tried all sorts of cream..all of which seem to make it worse...

Baby organics stuff
metanium
bepanthen
We took her to the docs who thought it was fungal infection and gave us anti-fungal cream....that made it worse.

We give her nappy off time as much as possible. She is asleep at mo on towels, to allow air to get to her fallulah... why is it not going?

It's just very red and sometimes looks spotty, but spots are not raised.

She is not bothered by it in the slightest. I just think it looks awful and worry it could get worse.

She did not have any nappy rash ever before she had the tummy bug.

I think maybe we need to take her back to docs... although not sure what they will do? a swab? any advice ladies? Thanks. x

Nappy off time is definately a good thing, I also found egg whites really effective (I was :think: to begin with but my mum suggested it as she knows I don't like using chemicals). Lightly beat them then apply with a bit of cotton wool, then try and let them dry on the skin before you put a nappy on - they form a really good barrier. If Evie gets bad nappy rash it seems to clear it up within a couple of days :D

Have you got any Lansinoh nipple cream, I would try that, worked wonders on my cracked nipples and a few Mums at my BF group said they use it on all sorts. Worth a try if you have some?

its does sound like thrush :think: id go back to the doctors definatley.

Try the following:-

Use no bath creams e.t.c just warm water and cotton wool
Use Vasaline instead of creams
Nappy off time is great

If it still persists, id do to ur GP and see what they say.

T xx

Cornflour is supposed to be good for nappy rash..

thanks all

OH is taking LO to docs tomorrow as it's worse. thanks for all your suggestions. x

Have you tried changing to a different make of nappy ? some certain makes of nappy can cause nappy rash !

nurse said she hasn't any advice! Apart from use cotton wool and water and nappy off time as much as poss.
might give the egg white a go ??

Hopefully it will ease. Nurse said nappy rash can last aaaaages.

Also she has had two teeth come through in the last week and someone told me nappy rasdh is common with teeth coming through. :think: ??

Thanks for your suggestions everyone.

Beatlesfan said:
Also she has had two teeth come through in the last week and someone told me nappy rash is common with teeth coming through. :think: ??

This is definately true hun, a spotty bum can mean teeth are on their way, or have popped through :D

during my pregnancy i was advised to use boots own medicated nappy cream (large white pot) on my baby by the mums in my family..they all swear by it. I have used it every day on Jacob since birth and he never has had any nappy rash at all. Just thought I'd mention it in case you havent tried it.

if your baby uses disposable nappies.. get a peice of fleece and put that where her little bits are.. like a square of fleece you can cut it from a blanket or something like that.. make up some cornflour paste with cornflour and waterand put it on her bits you can also use cornflour like talc on there.. it should start to get better over the next day if you do this.. wash her little bottie with a nice warm flanel every time you clean her no soap no wet wipes.

We have tried so much and it is getting worse!

It is sooooo red. She doesn't seem to bothered by it but I think it may be infected?

I really want to leave her nappy off as much as possible, but as she is crawling and traversing round furniture and does not stop moving, it is hard to keep floor protected. What does everyone else do??? I leave her nappy off (with towel etc under) when she sleep in her pram but can't do this at night as she moves around too much - we don't have a waterproof sheet thing for the travel cot which she sleeps in. Plus I worry she will get cold....

I want to go back to the docs and maybe ask for a swab?? Anyone else gone down this route? Thanks..

Go and ask the doctor for a cream called timodine, it will clear her up in a instant. Its a thrush cream but my lady was so sore a while ago and wouldnt go away either and popped this on and it was goe in two days.

Beatlesfan said:
We have tried so much and it is getting worse!

Anyone else gone down this route? Thanks..

Does sound like you've tried everything chick, time to start making a fuss at the doctors methinks :hug:

I have made an appt. for next week for her eight month check, so will discuss then. But I am going to try and keep her nappy off as much as possible until then. I know it gets better with air, so will stick to that for time being. Fingers crossed. If it's no better by next week, I will be making a fuss at Docs. Poor baby girl. Altho it isn't bothering her, the rash looks so angry....

When Emms was newborn, she got bad nappy rash and she did have thrush and we got anti-biotics and a special cream, BUT my theory is that is was made worse by using water and cotton balls! As soon as I changed to wipes, she seemed to get a lot better and bathing her more regularly helped.

I think it may have been that the wipes are not as wet, therefore the skin is not getting as damp. I have started using talc as well to ensure that the 'bits downstairs' are completely dry. I have used the Tescos own very plain, unscented wipes. Sorry to fly in the face of the usual advice, but that's my theory!!!

are you sure its nappy rash and not thrush? I had exactly the same thing with James - nappy rash that just wasnt clearing no matter what I did and going onto the tops of his legs. Showed the docs and he said to stick some canasten on it. Did that and it was gone in 2 days and hasnt come back :cheer:

is she teething? They get nappy rash badly at this time because they're dribbling so much so are technically dehydrated so the wee is more concentrated. Try upping her fluid intake.

The nurse said it was thrush but the anti-fungal cream seemed to make it much worse...interesting what you say about the cotton wool balls and water... :think:

I think i need to stick to one thing for a while... there are so many variables otherwise!

Keep yas posted ladies. thanks for all your suggestions. we are open to ideas still! x

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
miamie50
Back