• Xenforo Cloud has scheduled an upgrade to XenForo version 2.2.16. This will take place on or shortly after the following date and time: Jul 05, 2024 at 05:00 PM (PT) There shouldn't be any downtime, as it's just a maintenance release. More info here

Name Thief! :(

xx.kelly

Reaction score
I can't believe this! I am almost certain that I am having a little girl and when i was on the phone to my cousin the other day she asked me what names I had chosen - I told her Kia or Jayden for a boy and Aimee for a girl :) She said she was unsure and was just going to wait and see once the baby was born.

Then this morning she had a little girl - and called her Aimee! I am so annoyed! She is even spelling it the same way my Mum told me.

Am I over-reacting? :think: :think:

No I think you're within your rights to be upset, it makes it worse that she spelled it the way you wanted aswell. I would be upset if my friend or cousin did that :hug:

Thats so mean....right I am telling noone my ideas, even though I dont know anyone else pregnant!

My OH's cousin did this too after his other cousin had already named her little boy so both the kids are now called josh!!! how bizarre and confusing....

that's SO annoying!!

I would call your little girl Aimee anyway if you want to. Why should you have to change??

My brother told me they were thinking of calling their boy Sam (he was born three weeks before Sam) and I just said fine, but that'll mean there'll be two Sams in the family because that's the name we've chosen and we're sticking to it.

bye the way, Aimee's a great choice! :wink:

my partner wont let me tell people our name now as it just happened to his friend.

How nasty :( its not on to do that, i'd be mad!!

Thats terrible hun- what an evil thing to do.

Don't think that you are overacting at all.

hmm, its for that exact reason that i havent told anyone our name choices, well ideas nothings firm yet. I have a couple o friends who are pregnant. I'd be well annoyed if they did that to me, and the fact that is family makes it even worse! you have every right to be angry. I like the name Aimee tho its my cousins name and she's one of the best ppl i know so i like aimee's lol

Do you think that I should say something to her? Or just let it lie as a lesson learned? :(

I'd be annoyed too! Now that all of the people who were expecting babies recently have had theirs, I don't mind telling them our choices.

My cousins had the opposite thing though! They were expecting babies within 8 weeks of each other and they both fancied calling baby Charlotte. Anyway they decided that my middle cousin could have Charlotte and my older one would choose a diff name. My older cousin's daughter was born and they called her Olivia and then 8 weeks later "Charlotte" was born and they called her Leonie!!! I would have been just as annoyed if I didn't get the name I wanted because I thought I was doing someone else a favour by letting them have the name they wanted!

xx.kelly said:
Do you think that I should say something to her? Or just let it lie as a lesson learned? :(

Do you know for sure that you are having a girl or is it a gut feeling?

I would wait until you have had your 20week scan & it has been confirmed, I was certain that I was having a boy but the 20 week scan showed we are having a girl :cheer:

It may turn out that you are having a boy, I would still be very p*ssed off with her & let her know I wasn't happy & make a comment about it

I'm not 100% sure - it's just a gut feeling. But now I am struggling to even think of any other names that I like and everytime I see that little girl she is going to have the name that I wanted my baby to have.

She will also have the same second name as none of us are married. I just can't help but think that she did it to be spiteful.

If she had asked then I would still have been annoyed but I would have gritted my teeth and probz said that was fine - but she just done it :(

right or wrong of me, i'd have to say something!! i'd be too angry and upset not to :x

i'd only make a passing comment but it would make me feel better, not that it would acheive much though :(

I'd best upset too, if it were me!

Do you know what name choices she had pre-birth? Have you mentioned it to her? You can still use the name Aimee, maybe added a second name, like Aimee Lee, Aimee Janye, not saying use them but have it even prettier, pr am I being a hormanal biatch?

Looking at this from the slightly less hormonal side of the fence - I can't help thinking that this person didn't give her daughter the same name as the one you like out of spite. Believe me - she is going to say the name many times a day for the rest of her life - she will want to think 'such a pretty name' not 'haha, that'll niggle so-and-so' every time she says it. She may have chosen that name many months ago (maybe even before you were pregnant? She may be thinking that you have copied her choice.) What she choses to name her child and what you chose to name yours are personal decisions. No one 'steals' names - names are 'given' to a baby, not taken from another. Your's will not be the only Aimee in the world, let someone else enjoy the name too. You may still change your mind yet.

It's for times like this that many couples don't let on what names they have chosen - you can't have an argument with friends and family over it if you haven't told them what you are thinking of.

Yeah but I did tell her and she said that although she was unsure she liked the names naomi and ellie.

She never mentioned anything about Aimee - she even made a comment about people spelling it wrongly all the time.

I just think that its a little unfair - but oh well - back to the drawing board for me :(

I told my mum of a name I liked and now she is in love with it especially as a nan, that I didnt know shared the name, but OH has gone off it so now I feel really nasty if we change our mind.

xx

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Clark Gracen
Back