nail varnish??

dmkirk89

Reaction score
im just watching one born every minute and the women giving birth has to take her nail varnish off in order to have an epidural? I have never heard of this??? I've just done all my nails all pretty pink for labour lol xx is this true? Xx

I had an epidural. My finger nails were bare but my toes were done. But I was told that if my fingers had been painted it would have had to come off x

ohh I've never heard of this lol i wonder why? Ill have to google xx

I think it something to do with seeing the colour, I think they go blue if something isn't right lol x

think ill take the varnish off ny fingers and leave my toes, i hate my toes without varnish lol xx

If they need to monitor your oxygen levels they need a clean nail.

I read this recently. I'll be leaving my fingernails bare. Definitely keeping the toes painted though!!

It's only if you need a spinal block or epidural or c section normally I don't think it matters

Oh dear best bit get my acrylics done again then lol x

I had an epidural but I didn't have to remove my nail varnish? X

I had an epidural and i had nail varnish on toes and nails? Thought there was no better time than to debut my new O.P.I ;)

xxx

I'm going in with my acrylics & shellac on nails & toes....I doubt they would refuse an epidural or emergency c section just because I hadn't had the time to soak them off!! They prefer bare nails so they can see the colour but I'm personally keeping my nails on x

I have acrylics on too....I'm not planning on taking them off! Mine are bare anyway, so they should be able to see through!

u dont need it off for epidural but if u need a c section and had nails n toes painted u would have it removed quickly prior to surgery....ive done it a few times in some situations when i worked as a st midwife...they need to be able to see nail bed to check circulation during any surgery. xx

The oxygen saturation monitoring that goes on your finger to monitor your HB when on a CTG monitor in labour don't work well through nail varnish or acrylics. They need to constantly monitor yours to differentiate it from the baby's. I would have clean fingers and take nail varrnish remover if your toes are painted as hospitals don't always have acetone. There is not always time if you need to be rushed to theatre.

I think it only matters if you need to go to theatre. One of the main thing they look for it the ends of your fingers and toes going blue, something to do with lack of oxygen. I had to do it to have my wisdom teeth out,, one woman with acrylics was sent home and had to reschedule.

It says in a booklet my midwife gave me that anything on fingers and toes will have to be removed if you need to go to theatre for any reason at all.

No problems here. I'm low maintenance. I never paint my nails! they'd be chipped in seconds if I did! Interesting thread though, as I didn't know it was a problem.

what the hell!?? lol i have gel nails and toes , have done for ageess , ya need acetone to soak them off , so what do they do if ya cant get them off?? refuse ya epidural or c sec?? cant see it some how lol xx

I had finger & toe paint & had an epidural & was prepped for c-section (which thankgod I didn't need in the end) but it was never mentioned that it needed removing.

In fact I'm still wearing it & my LO is 3 weeks tomorrow haha, don't get a lot of time for stuff like that anymore!

Sent from my HTC One S using Tapatalk 4 Beta

I had finger & toe paint & had an epidural & was prepped for c-section (which thankgod I didn't need in the end) but it was never mentioned that it needed removing.

In fact I'm still wearing it & my LO is 3 weeks tomorrow haha, don't get a lot of time for stuff like that anymore!

Sent from my HTC One S using Tapatalk 4 Beta

so basically it doesnt have to be removed lol didnt think it had to be, the amount of women who must go into labour with either gel or acrylics on every day wont be refused for c sections or epidurals if its for the health of the baby , obv just a precaution in some hospitals but isnt a must xx

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
laurenl27
Back