My mother offered to take over for a night

Sherlock

Reaction score
My mother stayed this weekend to help give me a break from things. Blissful. She did the late night feed around 11pm so I went to bed earlier after expressing it and then stayed up till Galen woke at around 2am (he is a very noisy sleeper and disturbs me often in the night), changed him and brought him up to me for his next feed. I then put him back into his basket and he stayed in our room for the rest of the night as he normally does.

Anyways, she has offered the next time she comes to stay to have him with her the entire night and do his feeds etc. Rather than remain awake and sit up with him she would give him his late night feed, settle him down in her room in his crib and have him with her overnight to feed and change etc and would of course sleep inbetween all this. I'd then take over in the morning at breakfast time.

I'd have to express enough milk for his feeds but that should be fine. Galen is happy to be with her and is used to her changing him. She has also given him a few expressed feeds now too. She has babysat Galen for a couple of hours while I went out also. I again left milk and all was well with them both while I was gone.

I'd love to take her up on this offer as I would give anything for a 6 hour stretch plus of sleep. It would be the first time in about 9 months I'd do this as I've not really slept longer than about 3 hours at a time (a few occasions have been longer) since early pregnancy. Hubby can't do the night thing as he simply does not wake up when Galen cries or stirs. He sleeps through most of it unless Galen is really screaming, then he wakes, but he does not function well when roused from a deep sleep. So I dare not have him try to do an entire night of feeds etc while I go crash in the spare room.

Would anyone else take their mother up on an offer like this? Galen would be about 7 weeks old when she comes to stay for the weekend.

Go for it Sherlock.

My mum had Sam for me a few weeks ago and it was bliss. I found I still woke for his 5am feed :wall: but to have more than six hours of sleep in one go did me the world of good :D .

I was the same not had a full nights sleep since early pregnancy.

He's going again next week :)

hell yeah! Could you possibly send your Mum to mine afterwards? :wink: she sounds lovely :D

Awwww your mum sounds like a star!!

I would defo take her up on the offer, you will feel brill the next day.

I would definitely do this Sherry!

I so wish my Mum would have offered to do something like this - she sounds like a diamond. Mine is hands off, too hands off, in my opinion.

Happy snoozing!

Valentine Xxx

I would! Or did! I think Ella was a bit older though, but my Mum had her at her house for the entire night and it was really good. Still felt like we were missing something though! But the main thing is, if you feel ready and you know Galen would be happy aswell then go for it! :hug:

Do it, do it do it.

Id kill to get a nights sleep... rmbr you will be able to be an even better mummy the day after some sleep :) so its a win win situation!

Think ill see if I can get this deal out of my old dear!!

:lol:

OK so its pretty unanimous then. I should take her up on the offer :lol: I am very lucky to have her offer this and I do appreciate it for sure.

Its just its different from him being in another room and me getting up to see to him, or her being awake till 2am and keeping an eye on him before bringing him to me and then going to bed herself.

I trust her totally and Galen is happy with her, I just thought it was maybe too soon to let someone else other than me or OH have him for an entire night, even though he would be in our house still and right next door in the other bedroom. I know she will wake when me makes a noise and he'll be fine with her, but I wake regardless in the night and take a peek on and off and seem to sleep with one ear open for him. I have to relax about someone else having him for 8 hours or so without me seeing him is the thing. Of course if she needs me I am there, but I don't want to intrude if all is well, and 8 hours plus is a long time :lol: :roll:

OK, I shall say yes :) And look forward to a good nights kip.

my mum did this for me on our wedding anniversary and do u know the lil wee man slept better then his ever done with me ( at that time !) he slept till 5 am ( we were on like 2 am feeds lol ) and he went straight back to sleep after his feed which he never does with me ! it was really nice , i still got upat 5 to check him lol

My mum and dad this this when Lily was about 8 weeks old so me and OH could go and spend a night on the boat, even though I spent the whole night worrying and trying not to ring her :oops: :rotfl: But Lily onlt woke up once and went straight back to sleep. Im living with mum and dad though atm so I trusted them 101% If the PIL offered though..... :twisted: :rotfl:

aw hun i def would! theres nothing wrong with having a break, in fact i think its a positive thing. your lo in future wont mind spending time with others. My mother passed away before ky was born and i wouldnt trust my dad with a baby! Im an only child so im extremely greatful when my OH mother offers to help. every mother deserves a break and theres no shame in that at all!!

both of mine have stayed with my dad and his fiance since they were quite small. they have their own room and make sure my dad knows the routine and tries to stick to it. they enjoy themselves ( spoilt by grandma and grandad) and we get a rest. we usually drop them off about 3pm and pick them up about 11am. its odd at first but you soon learn to enjoy the quiet time together with no children. i still wake up the odd time but its nice just being able to turn over and go back to sleep.

If you're comfortable with it then yes definitely, I really hope it all goes well for him and your Mum :hug: :hug: :hug: I first left Isaac when I had my 12week scan with Wriggly, I'm still not very good with leaving him with anyone but if I had that close relationship with a Mother then I'd definitely have let her do that for me, sleep is so important, I really hope you enjoy it, very best wishes :hug: :hug: :hug:

Go for it Sherlock :D your mums a diamond.

My mum actually look stepen back to her house for the nightm but then he was bottle fed so bit different. Let her do it and get soem sleep.

yeah, go for it. My mums already had Emily on a couple of occasions - and the in-laws are about to have her for a few days next week :eek: :eek: :eek: :shock: :rotfl: I needs ma rest! :rotfl:

Go For It!

My mum is looking after Evie on Saturday night for us as we've been invited to a party but I'm thinking about just coming home and sleeping for the night! :rotfl:

I'm dreading leaving her but I trust my mum 110% and I know she's thrilled!

:wink: You deserve it after the past few weeks :hug:

My mum did this one night a week when Ella was between 1 and 6 weeks, she slept in the living room with her and did all the feeds etc. and I have to say I wouldn't have coped without it. So I say go for it! (Although my mum never slept when she had her and just used to lay awake listening to her!

The short answer is Yes!

I know you're having a hard time of it and I know myself the difference a good nights sleep can make. Things that seem impossible suddenly become possible after a good sleep.

When Lucy was 2 days old (I was still in hospital following my emergency section) I was in a right state, I hadn't slept for more than a couple of hours for 4 days and with her being such a hungry baby she was permanently attached to my boob and I just wasn't relaxing or resting. I ended up in a mess of emotions/over-tiredness/tears and didn't know what to do. The midwives convinced me to let them take Lucy and give her a bottle if she woke up so I could have some good sleep and start afresh the next day.

It was so hard allowing them to give her formula but as they said, one fee doesn't make a difference to the baby but made the biggest difference to me.

I woke up the next day ready to face the trials of motherhood with a few less bags under my eyes.

Do it, don't feel guilty about it and enjoy the difference a good nights sleep can make!

My mum only lives around the corner, and was having Rebekah
overnight for me from about 6 weeks, in her own house! Only occasionally, but it gave me an un-interrupted nights sleep and
more energy to give me more play time with her durng the day.
I'm never one to decline help from my mum or mother in law, plus Rebekah loves it and isn't at all clingy to me. I will trust both
our parents to take over every now and again when our
new baby is born as well. xxx

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nicola111
Back