My doggy...

ERIN84

Reaction score
Well Rob and I have finally come to the conclusion that we are going to need to rehome our 3 yr old Labrador. Its breaking my heart, it really is :sad: Anyone with a dog will understand how attached you get to them.

He has a problem with his food (cant approach him while he is eating, he can be very angry if you do) and we cant be worrying about that when bub arrives. and gets older.

A family came round to see him tonight (we have not advertised him or anything, just happened that someone knew someone who wanted a dog) and loves him! They think they can train him out of this bad habit but I really dont know if we can part with him.... :shakehead:

Have you tried behavioural classes you should be able to access it through your vets :hug: what an awful posistion to be in

we tried that but the one our vet reffererd us to was rubbish! It was £80 an hr (which i wouldnt mind) but they were really unhelpful and were not that friendly to Toby (the dog) in consultation to be honest x

Ah that's rubbish! When I moved in with my OH (last November) I fostered out my parrot to my sister. He just wasn't getting the attention because my OH has a collie, and I knew it would only get worse when bubs arrived and he can be a bit unpredictable with biting (just trying to make his rank known). At least I can still see him and know he is well looked after (I still have to cut his toenails)! I still worry about our collie though, I've bought a few stairgates to put around the house on the lower level (she doesn't go upstairs), so I can separate the dog from baby. She's a bit protective over her food, only once growled at me for getting too close but now trusts me and knows I'm the higher rank. I think the collie will be more protective over the baby though. Is it just around food that Toby gets angry or are there other behavioural issues? Is there any way you can feed him somewhere else that he would be undesturbed or are you worried you'll see the same behaviour in other situations too? It's so hard to know what to do for the best, pets like dogs just become part of the family :hug:

Last edited:
:hug: Is such a hard thing to think about never mind do.
If you do rehome I'm sure he'll settle in and be happy.

Its just around his food! How did you get your collie out of the growling thing? Its just if we get a bit too close he will growl. We could put him elsewhere but what about when bub is older and is toddling around with food in his/her hand, drops the food and they both go for it at same time?

Thats all Toby does, in every other way he is the most amazing dog and I love him to bits!

Attachments

• Image0107.jpg
    Image0107.jpg
    97.3 KB · Views: 4
:hug: Is such a hard thing to think about never mind do.
If you do rehome I'm sure he'll settle in and be happy.

I know, he will soon forget about us! Its so hard though...

People that dont have dogs probably think its stupid to feel like this but they really are oart of the family. x

I think Bru (our collie) was the runt so she's always been protective over her food. To be honest my OH is 'the boss'! He did raise his voice to her at the time but she was still really unhappy me being around. So I started giving her her evening meal, but only after we had eaten to show we are higher in the food chain. I then would put her food out and keep it on the worktop and use my cutlery as if I was eating her food, again to show her I was higher in the chain. I also make her wait until her food is down on the ground, and ask her to move back (she'll shimmy backwards) or give a paw, sounds cruel but she's having to please me to get her food. I can now approach her when she's eating, she's still nervous, her tail is between her legs the whole time but she will let me touch her head without a growl.
I also do the same with any treats, really make her work for them and even if the treat is on the ground I'll make her wait or do something before she is allowed to approach it. Not sure if that's very helpful. My OH also just suggested that you try and control the food Toby gets, only feeding a little at a time again in the chain, but a hand on the bowl may mean more food.

Thats really interesting, thanks. Will let Rob read over it as he is the one that feeds Toby at the mo as he doesnt want me to risk being growled at etc. Someone else has said about feeding him after we have had our tea so he knows we are more important. At the mo he has his food and Rob takes him out while I cook ours so that might have to change! Thanks megs, big help. x

I think you are amazingly brave, what a difficult decision but at the end of the day you are being so responsible :hug: :hug: xx

That's only how we've dealt with things, and really was taking advice from my OH all the way as he has always had dogs. Bru is really well trained apart from that (oh and barking at the postie, I fear that will never change!). I'm more clued up on parrot behaviour to be honest, I suppose it's all quite similar at the end of the day, you're the boss! Hope you are able to come to some decision about what to do, it's really not easy! xx

The other thing you can do, i was told from a behaviourist where i rescued my GSD is to pretend you are eating the food out the bowl before placing it down, and make the dog wait's till you all have eating.
We have two dogs (2 year and 6 months old) and they both move when i approach there food or anyone else does, its going to be a slow process but worth sticking it out.

Good luck with him

I know dogs and babies are a frightening combination! We have a staffy and when i was pregnant i was so worried that we were going to have to get rid of him as he's fully intact (Iykwim!) and can be really boisterous, he's not aggresive in the slightest but loves a bit of rough and tumble! Anyway we considered muzzling him/keeping him in the kitchen/giving him to my parents everything but my midwife advised to see how we went and do you know what he is perfect. He's the biggest softy with my LO in the world and my LO gives him a pretty hard time! lol. Buster used to be possesive over his food and to some extent still is with me and DH but my LO pushes him out of the way and picks up his bowl, goes and sits in the lounge with it and feeds him it one bit at a time. Its really cute. I know that you have tto be so so so careful but honestly he might suprise you xxx

I know dogs and babies are a frightening combination! We have a staffy and when i was pregnant i was so worried that we were going to have to get rid of him as he's fully intact (Iykwim!) and can be really boisterous, he's not aggresive in the slightest but loves a bit of rough and tumble! Anyway we considered muzzling him/keeping him in the kitchen/giving him to my parents everything but my midwife advised to see how we went and do you know what he is perfect. He's the biggest softy with my LO in the world and my LO gives him a pretty hard time! lol. Buster used to be possesive over his food and to some extent still is with me and DH but my LO pushes him out of the way and picks up his bowl, goes and sits in the lounge with it and feeds him it one bit at a time. Its really cute. I know that you have tto be so so so careful but honestly he might suprise you xxx

I would LOVE that.

Rob has spoken to a behaviourist tonight and she thinks it can be overcome! She has given us lots of tips and things to do so I think we are gonna try and train him as much as we can before bub comes and give him a chance. Any slight problem and he will HAVE to go! The people who came round last night rang back and said they fell in love with him but if they had him it wouldnt be till June as they are going on hols so I was honest and said we might want to try and train him ourselves and see how we go! we didnt advertise him or anything so wouldnt feel too guilty if we have to say no to them x

i don't have a dog and i don't think you're stupid! :hugs: i completely understand hun. looks like you're getting some good advice though already :D good luck hun xx

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DreamRapeVic
Back