Moving doctors & hospitals?

tinselcat

Reaction score
Hello

This seems a trifle premature as I'm still in the TTC phase of things but I wanted to see what people would think!

I'm registered to a doctor's surgery very close to (what I believe, haven't actually checked) is a very good state-of-the-art hospital.

However since then I have moved (a few miles but that's big by London standards) and also the doctor's practice is looking for someone to take over its running - every time I've been there in the last couple of years I've seen a different temporary GP.

I'm not sure whether I should just update my address and stick with that practice in the hope that I'll be referred (or however it works?) to the good hospital when the time comes.

Or should I find a more local doctor and ultimately be referred to a much closer, but not as good hospital?

I've no idea how the system works e.g. in terms of the hospital you give birth in, the midwife you see etc so if you have any experience or knowledge in this area I would be grateful for your advice!!

xx

Last edited:
If it works in London the same as other places you can choose which hospital you give birth in. The community midwife team where I live arent linked to 1 hospital in particular. My booking visit a midwife came to the house and asked which hospital I wanted to go to. She also said that I can change my mind halfway through if I want. Technically you could turn up at any hospital in labour. You carry your own maternity notes.

Hope that helps. Maybe some of the London mummies would be able to let you know how it works there.

Hi tiny

Thanks for your advice! I would prefer to move doctors if I can choose my hospital so that would be great!

Any London mummies/expectant mummies out there able to confirm if this is how it works here?

xx

Hi Tinsle cat ...

I've just left London to move up to the midlands :( (i miss it)

I was living in South London. I went to my GP, they asked me what hospital i would like to be reffered to (which was st georges in tooting at the time) and then they did a refferal form. The EPU then got in touch with me, wrote letters etc.

You can choose your hospital, this has been the experience of friends and family that live all over London.

Where abouts are you?
Hope that helps xx

Hi Marley

Thanks for your info! I'm in SE London :)

xx

Woo hoo I was in South West :)

I hope you find the doctor and hospital you want xx

Hiya,

I'm in North East London, and I was asked where I wanted to give birth. The NHS has a choose and book system now so u can change GP but still go the Hospital u want.

Goodluck :)

Hiya,

I'm in North East London, and I was asked where I wanted to give birth. The NHS has a choose and book system now so u can change GP but still go the Hospital u want.

Goodluck :)

Awesome :) Now I just need to find a new local doctor's practice :)

Thanks for the advice ladies - much appreciated!! Don't know where I'd have found out this if not from here :)

Hi

Recently moved to just off the Northcote Rd and am about 6 weeks pregnant. I am totally new to all this and a little terrified. I need to find a GP in my area and had registered online for the Heritage who I was planning on calling tomorrow to schedule my first doctors appointment. I did some research and found a lot of really bad reviews about this practice which has now put me completely off going there. Can anyone recommend a GP in this area SW11? I am just looking for kind and helpful staff but so far I have heard that a lot of practices are very non personal. Any advice would be much appreciated as I have no one to ask.

Thanks

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ARCHIATER
Back