Moving baby into own room

Charlie:-)

Reaction score
Im expecting my first and I would like some advice on when you moved your LO's into their own room from yours.

I know everyone is different and this will depend on your confidence as a parent and also the baby but can you let me know roughly how old your first was before you moved them into their own room.

The reason I ask is because I have a moses basket that will fit into our bedroom but when LO grows out of this (usually 4 months old) I dont know if the cot will fit our room. So I'm thinking of buying a crib as baby can stay in this till 6 months if necessary. I don't really want to have the extra expense of a crib if baby usually moves into its own room once outgrown moses basket.

Hi Charlie,

DD slept in her moses basket by our bed until 5 months (she is quite short and light and a really still sleeper - doesn't thrash her arms around etc) and at that point we were all ready for her to go into her own room. We were tired of not being able to do anything in the bedroom after 7pm (not nookie (!), just normal stuff like putting clothes away or getting undressed or chatting on the phone to friends) and she seemed strong and big enough to be able to cope with the transition. Our cotbed doesn't fit in our room, but had she not been ready, I may have put up a travel cot as an interim measure - this is something cheaper that you could maybe consider?

Charlie:-) said:
I know everyone is different and this will depend on your confidence as a parent

For me, our decision to have DD close to us for the first 5 months overnight wasn't to do with my confidence as a parent, it was to do with wanting DD close to me overnight for as much of the first 6 months as possible following FSID guidelines and to make it easy to breastfeed overnight (not having to get up and go through to her room etc, I could just lean over and pick her up).

I hope this helps.

Valentine Xxx

Hi valentine,

Thanks for your reply, I hadn't thought of a travel cot. I think thats a great option plus we have been given one from my SIL so don't have to go and buy one.

Thanks again for your advice, think thats what I'll do if I need to.

Finn went into his own room at 3 months because he'd outgrown his moses basket and there wasn't the room in our bedroom for his cot - it's worked well but isn't easy getting up to sort him out while he's not sleeping through.

Cara went into her own room at 7.5 months because we were fed up of her wriggling and grumbling in her sleep and thought we were just disturbing each other. I wish we had done it a month or two earlier cos we have all slept much better since. She hated her moses basket so we just set up the cotbed by our bed, made it very cramped in our room though.

My DD slept in her cot in our room until she was 22 months.
DS is 7 months and still co-sleeping with us.

Has nothing to do with my confidence as a parent though :? - I'm very confident as a parent.

Our son slept in a moses basket in our room until he was 4 months old, and we moved him basically because he had outgrown his basket and we didn't have room for his cot in our room. However, by that time he was already sleeping through the night so the transition was very easy for us, and meant I didn't have to get up and feed him during the night or anything. We intend to do the same with this one, although are thinking of getting a crib rather than a basket to give us the extra couple of months. Just cos our first slept through at an early age doesn't mean this one will!

I can't remember exactly when Lucy went into her own room but I think it was about 4/5 months. Basically it was because I kept waking up with her slightest movement and even though she was sleeping for a good 5/6 hours between feeds I wasn't!

I think the time to do it is influenced by how well your baby is sleeping, and how often they are feeding, and also how much noise they are making through the night. There's nothing better than being able to pick your baby up, feed them (while dozing) and popping them back to bed all without getting out of bed!

One thing I do know, is that I was able to keep Lucy in our room longer when she went into her cot, she slept in the moses basket for about 1.5 months - 2 months max, she kept flailing her arms wide open, hitting the sides of the basket and waking herself up.

When it comes to buying things, I would buy the minimum you can get away with and then make each decision as it comes, that way you can buy to suit your situation at the time rather than guessing, and you'll save money and don't end up having bought something that you never use!

i wanted melissa in our room until 6 months as recommended by NHS etc. she outgrew her moses basket at about 3 or 4 months and then we put her in the travel cot for a few more months. we've set up the big cot in our room now, altho now she's 9 months the only reason she's still with us is her room isnt finished yet. we just finished painting it today actually, she will be moving in soon!

Lola was moved into her own room at 6 around months but she always ends up in bed with us :)

Jake went in his own room at 4 months because we were disturbing him when we came to bed. I would say he was ready for it. He is a really good sleeper, through the night from 6 weeks etc...

All our boys were in their own rooms from about 3 weeks old. Jared (who is now nearly 7 weeks old) was also in his own room ( in his moses basket in the cot)from 3 weeks. For the first 3 weeks i slept down stairs ( my DH suffers from sleep problems)
All the boys are fab sleepers, and go to bed at 7:30. But it is a personal choice, based on how you feel and what you are comfortable with.

Jack moved into his own room at 11 weeks approx - he had started sleeping through the night so I didn't need to worry about night feeds and he is a noisy sleeper and was disturbing me :lol: We were also disturbing him climbing into bed etc so it was better all around. I got an Angel care breathing monitor to make me feel a little more at ease with the transition as I was worried I wouldn't know if anything was wrong.

I slept in the same room as him last week when we stayed over at MIL's house and I remembered exactly why I can't sleep with him :wall: Noisy so and so :lol:

Our son stayed in our room until he was about 5.5 months and had outgrown his moses basket.

I personally wanted him in our room as close to the first 6 months as we could because that's what's recommended to help prevent cot death. Particularly as our son was premature and cot death is more prevalent in babies under a certain birth weight and in boys.

He started sleeping through at 4.5 months.

He did used to moan a bit during the night but for me, hearing his little murmurs and noises was a comfort rather than a disturbance. Knowing that he was OK was more important to me than being disturbed.

I intend to follow the FSID guidelines again this time around, we can fit a cot into our room as we're in a bigger house now so baby will be in with us for the first 6 months.

It's a personal choice and perhaps you won't know what feels most comfortable to do until baby arrives.

All mine went into their own room from around 6 months

paris went in her own room around 3 months when she out grew the moses basket. Harrison will be going in his room when he out grows his basket

Hi there

I am a first time mum with a 6 week old baby who is already in her nursery. I had intended having her in our room for the first few months but decided after three weeks to try her in her cot and there has been no looking back since then.

Although she is quite an unsettled baby during the day she is a star at night time. She tends to go to sleep between 11.30 and 12pm, after her last feed (I bottle feed her). She then wakes between 5.30am and 7am for a feed, then goes straight back to sleep until around 10am.

I feel that the way we do it is ideal. Obviously its all down to personal choice but I am quite a relaxed mum and it works for us.

Luisa

Do you still hear baby ok from their own room when they wake in the night? I'm unsure what we'll do as I can't sleep with the bedroom door open, esp as OH goes to bed later than me and will have the TV on.....

Do you still hear baby ok from their own room when they wake in the night? I'm unsure what we'll do as I can't sleep with the bedroom door open, esp as OH goes to bed later than me and will have the TV on.....

Could you not use a baby moniter if this was a problem?

Because my husband snores VERY loudly babe is not going to be in our room for long because I think he will wake babe up!

Jacob has been in his own room (in his moses basket inside his cot) since he was 4 weeks old. He's such a noisy sleeper and i'm glad I moved him so early. We're all having better night's now.

Oh and we do use a baby monitor but you can still hear without it really.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
laurenl27
Back