Most Useful/wasteful Baby things

oldermum

Reaction score
What's the most useful,worth it's money item you've bought or what did you get and then hardly ever use?

Looking for reminders :?

really useful things when Lydia was younger were (apart from the obvious, like nappies etc):

her bouncer
snowsuits for her in winter
travel system
pillows/cushions to prop up your arm whilst feeding
vaseline (best thing for nappy rash - forget any other products!)
bibs
baby bath
water temperature tester

things that I never used:
receiving blankets
talcum powder (it's bad for the lungs or something like that)

I also rarely used my breastpump because I found it easier by hand like a cow lol.

Oh and also I never had these, but other people have, and to me they seem pointless:
wipe warmer
changing table (a changing mat on the floor works fine)
nappy pail thinggy

Most uselful, Changing station, mamas and papas bouncy chair.
Least useful. baby sling, never used it.

Least useful - baby bath. Why fill and carry this to have to then kneel on the floor and then spill water everywhere, when the kitchen sink is the right height and takes 2 mins to fill and empty!! :lol:

Most useful - Nappy Wrapper. Stops the flat smelling of dirty nappies or that awful peach nappy bag smell!! :lol:

Not meaning to disagree with you Amanda but I find the baby bath very useful, however I use it inside our main bath so it doesn't take long to fill and I don't try and carry it anywhere. NB my kitchen sink almost always has things waiting to be washed in it :)

I found the nappy wrapper a waste as the refills are so expensive ~£5 each and they don't last that long. I now use it as a glorified bin with normal liners and just empty it every night so the smell doesn't build up.

Other things found very useful

bouncy chair
muslin cloths
baby mat with arches over and things hanging from it (sorry don't know what it is called)
baby monitor
chest of drawers (use top for nappy changes, and clothes and stuff for nappy changes underneath).

Nicky_Jones said:
Not meaning to disagree with you Amanda but I find the baby bath very useful, however I use it inside our main bath so it doesn't take long to fill and I don't try and carry it anywhere. NB my kitchen sink almost always has things waiting to be washed in it :)

I found the nappy wrapper a waste as the refills are so expensive ~£5 each and they don't last that long. I now use it as a glorified bin with normal liners and just empty it every night so the smell doesn't build up.

Other things found very useful

bouncy chair
muslin cloths
baby mat with arches over and things hanging from it (sorry don't know what it is called)
baby monitor
chest of drawers (use top for nappy changes, and clothes and stuff for nappy changes underneath).

Fight, fight, fight!!
18.gif

:rotfl: :rotfl: :rotfl: :rotfl:

I don't have a bath, just a walk-in shower so that's probably why I found it so difficult! Oh, and I have a dishwasher so my sink is always clear!! :rotfl:

As I live in a flat, it's a real pain in the arsenal to empty the bins, so the nappy wrapper saves me a trip!! And I don't actually think that £5 is too bad as it stops all the smells.

Bouncy chair - don't have one
Muslin cloths - always have one draped over my shoulder!! :lol:
Baby Gym (think that's what you mean Nicky) - fab now Charlie's getting older
Baby Monitor - brill
Chest of drawers - don't have one. I change Charlie on the bed as it's better for my back.

I think this just shows how some things can be invaluable for one Mum, but not for others.

Oh, I forgot this as well. This is the best £85 we spent!!! :lol:

http://www.toysrus.co.uk/Product.aspx/BruHome/BruActiveBaby/BruActiveBabySwings/720224?ref=Search

Its £95 in the shop, but if you join the Toys R Us club, you get a voucher for £10 off any swing!

Oh, and Nicky - :hug: :hug: :hug: :lol:

Most useful : bouncer chair thingy, its the lilacy blue checked one from mothercare, I found it much easiert o let Aaliyah sleep in that downstairs in the day as it lays flat, instead of carrying the moses basket up and down the stairs day and night as some people do, I don't have the room for a moses basket in my living room anyway, plus she was out of it within 2 weeks or so.

Cot mobile : she loves hers, its a georgie and friends one from argos that plays twinkle twinkle, some nights she wont settle without it.

JUG: forget electric bottle warmers, kettle and a jug, can't beat it!

Fisher price bottle warmer : for out and about, its just a flask with a lid that goes over the top that you fill with boiling water and take out with you so you havnt got to ask anyone for water.

Bath seat : makes bath time loads easier.

Least useful

Monotors, only used them twice and they were crap and crackily, they are the ones that go straight in the wall. I'm only away from Aaliyah when i'm in the shower or getting ready anyway, when i'm in the shower someone else has her, and when i'm getting ready she's only in the next room and I can hear.

Dummy clip, she can yank it off easily and it's always in the way of her waving arms anyway so she always rips the dummy out of her mouth.

Amanda said:
I think this just shows how some things can be invaluable for one Mum, but not for others.

Couldn't agree more

Amanda said:
Oh, I forgot this as well. This is the best £85 we spent!!! :lol:

http://www.toysrus.co.uk/Product.aspx/BruHome/BruActiveBaby/BruActiveBabySwings/720224?ref=Search

Its £95 in the shop, but if you join the Toys R Us club, you get a voucher for £10 off any swing!

That looks fantastic. I think Ellie will be getting a christmas pressie from us now. Thanks for sharing that. We had come to the conclusion that with what her grandparents are getting her we may as well put money into a bank account for her, but that looks great.

best:

-muslins
-baby swing (you dont have to spend £100 odd - Finlays was £12 from ebay)

worst
-nappy wrapper (still in the box, cant see the point in it!)
-huggies nappies

except all the things you shave mentioned abouve the bestthings i have bought for Colby is

Door bouncer (she hated the bouncy chair)
Play mat
Play pen (it was Adeles and came witha tent, havent got it up just yet but will be going up very soon now shes learnded how to crawl)

usless things for me was

bottles warmer (i use the microwave 10 sec s at a time)
sling/carrier (mine was a clip one from mothercare, it didnt fit me proper and colby kept slipping down so i had to carry her anyway)

cant think of anything else

xx

Amanda said:
I don't have a bath, just a walk-in shower so that's probably why I found it so difficult!

I know its a change of subject slightly, but how do you find not having a bath? We have a bath and a shower and we havnt used the bath once since we bought the house in march so we are thinking of getting rid of it to give us more space, but obviously there may be practical reasons for keeping it once we have a baby but we cant decide lol!

Worst buys.... Bum creams! No point using them when you're using disposables.... they prevent urine absorbance.

Best thing EVER.... a proper Pouch Sling ie. www.karmababy.com

Waste of Money... a Pram! If you've got a sling you don't need a pram. Although I love my Mamas & Papas Pliko 3, I hardly use it. I sling Oscar ALL the time!

Emilia xx :wave:

Door bouncer, brilliant they are.

Changing table with bath, still looking for another one like I had, grrr.

Bouncer to keep them safe but never leave them asleep in them, a friend of my mums grandchild died that way as the baby was asleep sitting up instead of laying flat.

Nappy stacker I found really handy.

Bottle warmer I used every time but not gonna get one this time around as I used to leave it in for too long then have to put the bottle in a jug of cold water to cool down. Gonna use microwave this time just make sure it's shaken well afterwards.

My best buy is a disco ball we have over the changing table! Leorah used to hate having her nappy changed now she loves it!

Another thing I love is her swaddeaze sleeping bags, they are warm and fluffy and she calms down as soon as she wears it.

Worst buy at the mo' is her vibrating chair but perhaps she'll start liking it once she's bigger. The bit that goes in between the legs is really big and I think she finds it uncomfortable.

Also if you have a LO that spits up a lot muslin cloths are a god send, you can buy nice coloured ones. We also have bibs that look like little neck scarves that we match to her outfits.

Oh yeah probably my best buy of all is the Tommee Tippee breathing moniter. Leorah is in her own room and I love to hear the reassuring clicks that go off as she breathes.

The worst were:
A huge pram that was £560 and used 4 times, it was too big to get on a bus and the chassy was to big to fold into the car,
The door bouncer, as kaiden hated it he was to heavy for it within weeks of gettin it and he cracked all the plaster on the wall LOL
A cot top changing mat, as we always changed him in the livingroom
A baby monitor as he was in our room, and it was summer and the alarm went off it got about 22oc and we had a hot one, so we couldnt use it.

The best:
A micorwave sterilizer,
A mclarren buggy that back flattens, with a foot muff.
A few baby grow bags.
A tiny bucket for pre treating very soiled baby clothes,
And finally a baby carrier, great for walkin the dogs and no hastle on the bus.

i love how diverse it is on here - what is a godsend for some is a pain in the (beep) for others!

Best buys
Breathing monitor
Grobags
baby carrier - i get the bus all the time, i still use it now alex is nearly 1
Bumbo seat
contoured bath seat
small jug and a little flask for heating bottles when out

Worst
any clothes that do up at the back when they are wee

you know i cant think of anything else! i was lucky that i am the last sibling to have kids so i had loads of advice on what i needed or didnt from them!

xxxxxxxxxxxxxx

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ARCHIATER
Back