Mortified!

wannabmummy

Reaction score
Theo had his first swimming class today. It was horrible. The whole way home I was crying like a pathetic loser. Theo was so good all morning and as soon as I got him in the pool he started screaming, and he screamed the whole way through so neither I not any of the others could hear what the teacher was saying. They were all having their first lessons too and they couldn't enjoy it because theo was screaming! None of the other babies cried, not even a squeak! Then at the end when all the babies were going to be dunked she looked sympathetically at me and said, we don't dunk if they cry, maybe next time! I have never got dressed and left anywhere so quickly in my life it was mortifying. I've just got home and he is asleep (he has worn himself out) and I am just sitting on the sofa crying. I am so mortified and shocked by how he behaved. He love bath time and water, so I just wasn't even thinking that he would behave like that :-(

Aawwww hun! Maybe he found the chlorine a bit much? Some people are very sensitive to it and swimming pools can be very echoey and maybe frightened him?

Daddy will be taking Albert swimming cos I panic in a puddle and I don't want him picking up on my anxiety. How about filling the bath up and getting him used to deep water that way. Don't give up though chick, he might be completely different next time :hug: xxxxxxx

oh hunny :(

like BB said dont give up!! maybe go with someone next time?

i wouldnt go on my own yet its a big deal!

Stanley loves bathrobe absolutely lives it but screams blue murder if we go swimming lol do I know the feeling x

He's not behaving like anything he's to young to manipulate like that imagine you being held in a huge bowl of water that sometimes is cooler than a bath it's loud and tinny, I would think he felt very lost and confused, keep trying but remember crying is his only way of communication he can't say mummy I'm scared yet xx

xxx

Awwww... Don't give up... He was probably just very scared - strange, echoey environment full of strange people, noises, etc. Try again next week - I'm sure the instructor had seen babies cry before - try not to be embarrassed, it might be someone else's LO who cries next time. Xx

When we first bathed LO she screamed loads and after I got a bath thermometer I realised I had water way too cool! She loves it now it is proper temp. I think she might scream at a swimming class as the water is tepid! After reading your story I think I'll take her on my own to the pool to get her used to it.

He's not behaving like anything he's to young to manipulate like that imagine you being held in a huge bowl of water that sometimes is cooler than a bath it's loud and tinny, I would think he felt very lost and confused, keep trying but remember crying is his only way of communication he can't say mummy I'm scared yet xx

xxx

I didn't mean it like that I just meant I have never seen him like that before so it upset me! He's normally so calm with things so hearing him upset like that upset me. I am fully aware that he was not doing it to manipulate me.

No I didn't mean it to sound like that, so forgive me but what I ment was he might of been sounding off through dear more than anything I think 'behave like' may have been a conflicting term use by both of us

xxx

Hun, you're far braver than me! I struggle to even take Jack out in public on my own for fear that he's going to scream the place down. I would love to take him swimming but i can't imagine i'll have the balls for a while yet and he's the same age as Theo. These things happen and i would probably feel just as upset as you by it but you shouldn't let it put you off. All babies cry, next time it'll probably be someone elses little monster kicking off. Hope this doesn't put you off going again xxx

Yeah I think he was scared, I just didn't expect it xx

Well I've paid for 6 sessions now, so I am going to keep going, but my OH is a primary school teacher so he has next week off so I am going to try all the technique we learnt at bath time and we are going to attempt to take him swimming together next week before the next class next Friday to try and get him used to it a bit more! I think I may have started him a bit young, but then the other babies were pretty much the same age, ranging from 8 weeks to 14 weeks! I just don't like seeing him upset :( will be a lot easier with OH next week xx

Hi Hun my lo shed a few tears on his first lesson!
Just wondered was it a hydro pool so the temp is warmer? Also have you got a wrap top (they sell them on waterbabies) it may help him feel secure rather than being naked (well other than nappy )
Trust me know one will be bothered that your lo cried, they will just be concentrating on their own lo and the teacher will be used to it

Don't give up x x.

I was gonna suggest u and OH taking him but you beat me to it. He'll get there!

Oh hunny. Like the others said please don't be put off. I know what you mean when they cry like that and you can't do anything about it. It always feels like it reflects on you as a parent but really it doesn't. They'll all be able to relate really. Probably all secretly thinking, phew glad it wasn't me lol. Believe me we've all been there.

Hi Hun my lo shed a few tears on his first lesson!
Just wondered was it a hydro pool so the temp is warmer? Also have you got a wrap top (they sell them on waterbabies) it may help him feel secure rather than being naked (well other than nappy )
Trust me know one will be bothered that your lo cried, they will just be concentrating on their own lo and the teacher will be used to it

Don't give up x x.

Yeah it was a hydro pool, couldn't believe how warm it was actually :) and there was only 6 of us, with our babies and the teacher, and it was a private pool so wasnt a big pool at all, and wasn't that noisy?! I tried to do the stuff we learnt today in the bath as well tonight and he started screaming! I'm going to stick at it but once the 6 weeks are up if he is still like it I am not taking him again until he is older :( he looks so worried bless him!

This is what he wore Sue xxImageUploadedByTapatalk1338572947.014314.jpg
Not a happy bunny! Xx

Hey chicky. We've been going swimming for 4weeks now (although skipped today's lesson!). Brody has whinged a bit at each lesson, but last week he cried really loudly for the last bit. I know how you feel! But just remember all mums are in the same boat. Another baby might not like it next week. I remember the first session and one of the other babies cried a lot and it actually made me feel a bit at ease in a weird way as I thought we're all in this together and other babies cry top iykwim. See how you both feel next week. Xxx

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Hi Hun apparently those swim suits actually make lo colder as they aren't proper suits (I'm sure there is some technical info to that)
The suits from water babies go on before going in water and do keep them pretty dry (surprisingly)
Here is sam's and his happy nappy! They are only £20 so might be worth a shot xxx

Attachments

• ImageUploadedByTapatalk1338587343.544788.jpg
    ImageUploadedByTapatalk1338587343.544788.jpg
    36.8 KB · Views: 19
  • ImageUploadedByTapatalk1338587383.294883.jpg
    ImageUploadedByTapatalk1338587383.294883.jpg
    34.6 KB · Views: 18
Oh bless him he looks absolutely devastated! Poor little sausage xxxxxxxx

Awwww look at him!! He's not a happy chappy is he?

I'm sure he'll be fine next week. Don't feel bad, I'm sure it will be someone else's baby next week. We all have sympathy when a LO is crying

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nicola111
Back